What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Great list!!

Two matches that I would like to see:
1. BBS1 vs. Karve (modern)
2. 1934 Aristocrat vs. Toggle (vintage)
:a11::a11::a11::a11:
Hi @BigJ
Ok I have one problem and that's the BBS1 and it's a big problem. I'm actually going to start a thread about it I think or maybe I should just put it on here. Not sure.

As far as the Toggle vs the #34 Aristocrat I'd have to turn down the Toggle quite a bit to be equal to the mild #34 Crat. So any suggestions on that combo?

Thanks for your input my friend!

:a29:

Hello Gentlemen here is the updated list of the razors both left in this Shave Off that are marked in GREEN and that are still on the list as of July 1st 2019 and in that list you will see the razors that have gone on to the next round that are marked in BOLD. When all the razors in Category 2 have had their chance for a Shave Off we will go to the next round where they all will start all over again in an attempt to continue to narrow it down until eventually there are only two razors going for the title. Also in the Eliminated List you'll see that each razor that has been eliminated from the Shave Off is marked in RED!

Suggestions:
So I'd really like it when I get some suggestions on which two razors you'd like me to use in the next Shave Off. Also remember you can't pick a razor that's made it to the next round which are marked in BOLD copy until all the razors left in Category 2 are either eliminated or go on to the next round so please pick from the razors that still are currently waiting for their chance for a Shave Off and to try to move on to the next round.

Thanks for all your help!

NOTE:
If you see that one or all of the razors you sent me have been eliminated please send me a pm with a return address and I'll get the razors back to you and I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this " Smoothest Razor " Shave Off possible!

NOTE: We have an addition to the Category 2 list and that's the Timeless Titanium DC .95. I will only be using the SB side of the razor in the Shave Offs.

Category 2 - Contenders:

1.Gillette RFB - On to the next round
2. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
3. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat - On to the next round
4. RR Gamechanger mild plate - On to the next round
5. Merkur 34C - On to the next round
6. Gillette President - On to the next round
7. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
8. Paradigm 17 4 - On to the next round
9. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
10. Stahly - On to the next round
11. Karve D baseplate.
12. LASSC Wolfman BBS1 - may be joining the Shave Off.
13. Gillette F4 Toggle
14. Gibbs adjustable - On to the next round
15. Timeless Titanium .95 DC SB side

Eliminated:

1. Gillette Slim
2. Mergress adjustable
3. Gillette New SC
4. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
5. Fatip Grande
6. Gillette Red Tip
7. Edwin Jagger DE89
8. Ikon New Deluxe
9. Gillette 1936 Aristocrat
10. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
11. Blackbird SB
12. Gillette Fatboy
13. Timeless SS with Ti .68 SB baseplate
14. Gillette Fat handled Tech
15. Razorock SLOC
16. Gillette 46/47 SOLD!
17. RR Mamba
18. Paradigm Titanium 11

Karve D plate vs Timeless Titanium .95 DC SB side....?

I like that one since I just got my Ti Timeless and the D plate seems about right.

Thanks for the suggestion!:thumbup1:

I have Karve with several plates, and D-SB plate is quite efficient, but still very smooth.
Unfortunately I don’t have Ti Timeless, and have never had the opportunity to try one, but from what I’ve read the .95 SB side might be quite close... so could make for an interesting shave off....

I have Karve with several plates, and D-SB plate is quite efficient, but still very smooth.
Unfortunately I don’t have Ti Timeless, and have never had the opportunity to try one, but from what I’ve read the .95 SB side might be quite close... so could make for an interesting shave off....
I agree and I think it will make for a good Shave Off so I'm onboard on this one.

Thank you!

Hi @BigJ
Ok I have one problem and that's the BBS1 and it's a big problem. I'm actually going to start a thread about it I think or maybe I should just put it on here. Not sure.

As far as the Toggle vs the #34 Aristocrat I'd have to turn down the Toggle quite a bit to be equal to the mild #34 Crat. So any suggestions on that combo?

Thanks for your input my friend!

:a29:

Ha!! Tried to pick some challenging match-ups. Looks like that’s what I accomplished! :a21:

Not sure of the problem with the BBS1, so I cannot help with that.

In terms of Toggle vs the Aristocrat; I prefer mild/moderate shavers so I would vote for the elegant Aristocrat and suggest tuning down the Toggle! But I am open to suggestions as they are in the same competition.

UPDATE:
Here are my suggestions for the last 3 Shave Offs in this round. Hopefully you all like the the match ups. After this round is complete we start all over again and any two matchups are possible in the next round.

Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat vs Gillette F4 Toggle on max setting

Gillette 1934 Aristocrat vs Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate

Karve D baseplate vs Timeless Titanium .95 DC SB side

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Gentlemen!

UPDATE:
Here are my suggestions for the last 3 Shave Offs in this round. Hopefully you all like the the match ups. After this round is complete we start all over again and any two matchups are possible in the next round.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Thank you!
They all sound pretty good to me. Even better if you were to start with Karve vs Timeless, as I’m quite curious who wins that one... :)

UPDATE:

Thanks Gentlemen!

Great match-ups!! Go Aristocrat(s)!! :a11::a11:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Good afternoon Frank,
The only problem that I would have with the Toggle not being used with different settings is that it is taking away what makes a Toggle a Toggle ,the ability to change settings is big deal and should be considered in the overall performance of what kind of shave you can get.
That is the razor and what it can do.
The crate is being used as is so should the Toggle be.
Anyway that is my thoughts.
And of course I just did a Toggle vs a Hybrid Tech shave off and left the Toggle set on 5
Because it was giving me a much better shave after the first pass anyway but I was willing to adjust if I needed to.

Good afternoon Frank,
The only problem that I would have with the Toggle not being used with different settings is that it is taking away what makes a Toggle a Toggle ,the ability to change settings is big deal and should be considered in the overall performance of what kind of shave you can get.
That is the razor and what it can do.
The crate is being used as is so should the Toggle be.
Anyway that is my thoughts.
And of course I just did a Toggle vs a Hybrid Tech shave off and left the Toggle set on 5
Because it was giving me a much better shave after the first pass anyway but I was willing to adjust if I needed to.
Hello my friend and I totally get what you are saying about the Toggle so adjusting during a shave is no problem but knowing the Aristocrat 1st Gen OC's efficiency I thought why not run the Toggle wide open against it and see how that goes. If let's say the Toggle is a lot more efficient and I'll know within a stroke or two then I can adjust it down to match the Aristocrats efficiency level and judge on the smoothness which is what I should be judging first and foremost.
What's your thoughts on that approach?

Thanks

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hello my friend and I totally get what you are saying about the Toggle so adjusting during a shave is no problem but knowing the Aristocrat 1st Gen OC's efficiency I thought why not run the Toggle wide open against it and see how that goes. If let's say the Toggle is a lot more efficient and I'll know within a stroke or two then I can adjust it down to match the Aristocrats efficiency level and judge on the smoothness which is what I should be judging first and foremost.
What's your thoughts on that approach?

Thanks

I think that aproch is basically what I did when my Toggle was up against the HT if I would have had to go through the grears to get the Toggle shave as smooth and be as efficient as the HT I was open to it but the a Toggle at 5 was smoother and more efficient already so there was no need to.
Well We went with a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
after the quest for finding the Wife the right SUV.
She's very pleased and I like it also .

I think that aproch is basically what I did when my Toggle was up against the HT if I would have had to go through the grears to get the Toggle shave as smooth and be as efficient as the HT I was open to it but the a Toggle at 5 was smoother and more efficient already so there was no need to.
Well We went with a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
after the quest for finding the Wife the right SUV.
She's very pleased and I like it also .
I'll play with the Toggle when I first start the Shave Off and try to make it as close to the Aristocrat in efficiency and go from there.

I like the Subaru's and it was a consideration but it was just a little to small for my needs to I went with the Honda CRV and it drives really nice with a lot of nice features.

Hello Gentlemen

Sorry for the delay but I have to drive to Boston for a family event and I will do the next Shave Off but I may not be able to report the results until Monday but I’ll try to get it up sooner.

Thanks for your patience!

Great Shaves my friends!

Hello Gentlemen

Just wanted to give you an update on the
“Smoothest Razor “ Shave Off because some of you were probably wondering why crickets have been chirping in this thread. Well I went away to Boston for a couple of days and when I got back a project I’ve been working on escalated in the need for my attention so I’ve made a decision to take a little time off so I can catch up as you all know the time needed to do each Shave Off.
I will resume on either Sunday or Monday and I’ll do one of the 3 Shave Offs that I posted last week.

Again my apologies but sometimes life happens and the call of duty has to come first.

If someone wants to post some interesting Shave Offs in my absence please do! I’m still on here checking out threads and posting and I’d like to read some good Shave Offs.

Great shaves my friends!!

DB

I'll play with the Toggle when I first start the Shave Off and try to make it as close to the Aristocrat in efficiency and go from there.

I like the Subaru's and it was a consideration but it was just a little to small for my needs to I went with the Honda CRV and it drives really nice with a lot of nice features.
My wife and I just went through the process of purchasing a new SUV for her, too. She had been driving a Hyundai VeraCruz (3-row SUV) since 2007 and it was time to get a newer ride.

We test drove a few, including the CRV. We liked the CRV pretty well. My wife didn't like that there are already about 100,000 of them on the road just in our local area, lol. She places a bit of a premium on driving something a bit different, I guess.

Anyway, long story short, what we ended up with was a Kia Sportage. I was really surprised by the quality of this thing. Kia has come a long, long way. We used to say KIA stood for "Keep It Away," lol. Anyway, it's a pretty nice vehicle and I hope she can enjoy this one for a long time, too.

Top Bottom