The World Shave Off Showdown

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by Dragonsbeard, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Wow you did load it from the top!
    No it’s the handles same as mine is just mine is plated in Rhodium. Yeah I’ll have to try it in the next round with a heavier handle and see what changes with the dynamics of the razor.
    Thanks for the post!

2. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Yeah you can’t shave that shallow with the SC. No way.
    I get what you are saying about your technique using the Fatip and the good thing is it works for you!
    I’ll give it a try the next time I use it.
    Thanks!

3. I rather think the accountants at Gillette had a reason for it, and in 1930-1 they were calling the shots with the New the first Gillette designed to a $1 price point The pricier New Deluxe (on the NI type handle) has perfect balance as do the TTOs introduced later in the decade. #EngineersWept

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. Esox

Esox Ambassador

You can but its far from easy. @rabidus is a lot better with the SC than I ever will be lol.

5. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Well if he can do it then I can do it!! Haha! I’m busting his chops right now so I hope he chimes in. So where are you Yoda!

:a45:

Seriously I’ll try it with a very shallow angle just for the experience next time I use it. I go off the beatin path a lot when it comes to technique as most know as I love a good challenge and usually have a lot of fun when exploring new things as I’ve learned to keep an open mind!

6. Esox

Esox Ambassador

Thats the spirit!

The right angle for you with a Fatip is in there, find it and its magic. Miss it and your Fatip experience will be mediocre.

As I said, the only razor I've used thats both smoother and more efficient, is the MMOC. Using my Grande at the angle I've shown, using the MMOC at its design angle, the angle of blade edge to skin is very much the same.

7. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Oh I’ve had a lot of experience with Gems and the MMOC was my number on favorite. Not as smooth as Rabidus beloved SE1 and not quite as efficient as his SE2 but smoother. In fact I can’t wait till Stan comes out with the new SE1 with the Windsor head. I have a feeling it’s going to be a very special razor!
    For right now my favorite SE is the Asylum RX as I find it smooth but Very Efficient.

8. So Frank what’s the next matchup?

9. Esox

Esox Ambassador

Ahhh, I didnt know there was going to be a design change. I thought it was just going to be a name and line change. I'll need to pay attention.

10. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Yep it’s goibg to be based off the Windsor head which if you’d ever shaved with the normal ATT in the R or the H plate when Stan came out with the Windsor head it took the razor to new heights and I’m thinking he’ll so the same with the already good excising SE1.

11. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

Well I was thinking of going back to the Adjustables and either matching up the Slim vs the Mergress or the Gibbs.
    What’s your thoughts.

12. Esox

Esox Ambassador

I have not. The most expensive razor I own is my Grande. :tongue_sm

The SE1 is constantly on my mind so I'll keep an eye open for it though!

13. I kinda like the slim vs Mergress

14. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

I like that one to so I’ll go with that next

15. It’s great to hear from those vintage users as your opinions are always enlightening. Also gentlemen please note the above posts as @Dragonsbeard AKA RAD enabler has just created a spike in eBay prices for Slim and Mergress razors. I’m pushing for the Slim to out smooth the Mergress

16. Me Too! I got 4 H3 Slims in mint condition I need to unload a couple.

17. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

LMAO!!
    There you guys go again saying I’m a RAD enabler and I affect the market prices on razors!
    Not possible! I’m just a guy doing Shave comparisons and reviewing them. I’m innocent until proven guilty!

18. Esox

Esox Ambassador

i.see.enablers.jpg

19. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Contributor

20. Excellent review, Frank. Finally a review using razors I already own. No need to look on the auction sites. The Fatip is solid brass and is available with various finishes, such as black, chrome, nickel and gold. I usually agree with you but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Grande. I have a very different experience. No soup for you! And I miss the pictures too.