What's new

The Woes of GFT Eucris

I post an appeal like this every two years or so. I keep coming back to a puck of the GFT Eucris because it has such a sublime scent. Unfortunately, I can't get the stuff to lather worth a flip. I've tried Badger, Horse, and Boar. Synthetic perhaps? I've tried the Marco method, plus the more standard methods.

Does anyone have the secret?

Are all GFT soaps this way?

Oh the humanity!!:o15:

Not sure about their pucks, but I have GFT Spanish Leather cream in a tube and its scent and performance are top notch. Creates an excellent, yogurty lather. One of my best performers in moisturizing and slickness. And, man, that scent!

I post an appeal like this every two years or so. I keep coming back to a puck of the GFT Eucris because it has such a sublime scent. Unfortunately, I can't get the stuff to lather worth a flip. I've tried Badger, Horse, and Boar. Synthetic perhaps? I've tried the Marco method, plus the more standard methods.

The GFT creams are good. The GFT soaps have a nice scent, but performance is lackluster. You can try super-lathering the soap with an unscented cream.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
^^ This. Or try superlathering it with Eucris shaving cream. Or use the soap in the shower and shave with the cream.

How long do you load your brush? You may want to load for an obscene amount of time like a minute and see how that works for you. My experience with Trumper soaps is that a long loading time with a synthetic brush gives me a decent lather. It’s not the best, but more than serviceable and worth it for the scents.

I have GFT Eucris soap and until recently had the same experience. I start with a relatively dry brush and load for a long time, then add water slowly and lather on the puck. Performance isn't the best, but you'll get amazing smelling lather and lingering scent.

^^ This. Or try superlathering it with Eucris shaving cream. Or use the soap in the shower and shave with the cream.
Will give this a try at some point in the future.

How long do you load your brush? You may want to load for an obscene amount of time like a minute and see how that works for you. My experience with Trumper soaps is that a long loading time with a synthetic brush gives me a decent lather. It’s not the best, but more than serviceable and worth it for the scents.
I load it for a good bit as I use the Marco method. I haven't tried a synthetic but that will be happening at some point.

I have GFT Eucris soap and until recently had the same experience. I start with a relatively dry brush and load for a long time, then add water slowly and lather on the puck. Performance isn't the best, but you'll get amazing smelling lather and lingering scent.
This is the reason I keep coming back top this puck is because of the scent. It is very frustrating because I will start out with a good lather but then it literally disappears on the face. Maybe the key is to load, and load, and load product.

Sir eezee, send me your GFT pucks for proper disposal!
No problem here getting a great, slick, stable lather in today's shave.
Admittedly not as thick as MWF, but nonetheless, slippery and protective.
Plus the super Eucris scent.
I followed Jarrod's Trumper's soap advice, here.

trumper's eucris shavemac gillette abc june 28 2020.jpg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Sir eezee, send me your GFT pucks for proper disposal!
No problem here getting a great, slick, stable lather in today's shave.
Admittedly not as thick as MWF, but nonetheless, slippery and protective.
Plus the super Eucris scent.
I followed Jarrod's Trumper's soap advice, here.

View attachment 1118937

His advice was to soak the soap in very hot water. Have you done this in the wood bowl? Just wondering if it would harm the black staining or if it holds up to it.

His advice was to soak the soap in very hot water. Have you done this in the wood bowl? Just wondering if it would harm the black staining or if it holds up to it.

I actually took puck out of the wooden bowl and let it soak in a metal bowl overnight, just to see how it would hydrate to extreme. Should note that I store the puck wrapped in plastic, within wooden bowl anyway. After first few uses, I had noted that the puck butt was getting stained from the black wood. The staining on the wood bowl seems unaffected.

Hmm. I've been using the Marco Method of soaking the brush in hot water and then loading with a very wet brush for a long time. Will look this over and try soaking the puck. Thank for the advice!

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hmm. I've been using the Marco Method of soaking the brush in hot water and then loading with a very wet brush for a long time. Will look this over and try soaking the puck. Thank for the advice!

I just got a brand new puck out of curiosity. I’ll report my experience when I need a shave.

Well, I watched the video and tries it today. Soaked a Semogue 610 and the puck while I showered. Used the Marco method and loaded for a good 70 seconds!! Somewhat slightly better results but once the lather was on the face it began to rapidly dissipate into a thin hardly noticeable coating of suds. Thin suds at that.

I was so frustrated that I washed it off and reached for Tabac. No worries there.

I'll give it a rest and try it again in a few months.

My experience with the more "recent" hard soaps from GFT is that they don't do well in hard water. Soft water and a lot of manipulation yield good results....

I recommend the Eucris cream. The GFT soaps are not worth the hassle IMHO, and the cream is a decent performer. Get the Eucris EDT while you're at it! :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ll dig into my pick tonight. Just unwrapped it. First thing I notice is it has a very slick feel to it as soon as I touch it. Fingers crossed it performs for me.

My experience with the more "recent" hard soaps from GFT is that they don't do well in hard water. Soft water and a lot of manipulation yield good results....
Hmm. Lots of hard water around in my neck of the woods.

I recommend the Eucris cream. The GFT soaps are not worth the hassle IMHO, and the cream is a decent performer. Get the Eucris EDT while you're at it! :)
"Not worth the hassle" is what I'm concluding. Will definitely try the cream at some point in the future!

I’ll dig into my pick tonight. Just unwrapped it. First thing I notice is it has a very slick feel to it as soon as I touch it. Fingers crossed it performs for me.
Good luck with it. If you get it to work please report back as to what you did!!

going back to jarrod's advice, i think it's soaking the puck that is key. shake out excess water from the brush before loading. i had left water on the puck overnight, just to see what would be the extreme case.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I got a thin lather out of it, but it was slick and didn’t dry out. Might need to try a different brush moving forward since I am not patient. I used a Shavemac Finest but I am thinking a Chubby or a Synthetic might save me some time moving forward.

Top Bottom