What's new

The Wisdom of Simplicity, aka the Benefits of Reducing Variables

For the past 10 weeks I've been segueing back to NYC from what I realized was an ever deepening persistent vegetative garden state in the wilds of the northwestern corner of New Jersey (forests, bears, mosquitoes, farms -- surprisingly rural for the most densely populated state in the US). The desperation of my existential crisis inspired me to make my exodus post haste, like the ancient Israelites from Egypt. They didn't have time to let the bread rise; likewise, I set out with the barest shaving necessities.

These aren't even necessarily the best things I have or my top favorites -- just a few stalwarts, completely dependable, chosen in a mad rush, where I knew I'd need to travel light, keep it cheap, and take things that if I happened to lose something, or give it away, no biggie.

I set out with a skeleton shaving kit, with which (with one addition) I've been shaving since April.

except for the blades, and during this time I've worked my way through three 5-blade packages of lines of one brand, Rapira.

WOW, does that make a HUGE difference in ability to focus on what's happening, what's changing, and how that affects the shave. I'm getting more consistent and consistently great shaves than ever. Ever since I started with traditional shaving, around Jan 1, 2013, I've been experimenting with ever more stuff -- razors, soaps, creams, oils, blades, brushes, etc, etc. And, while I sometimes keep careful notes and always pay attention, such ever increasing variability is a nightmare in trying to isolate factors. So, shaving with a consistent kit has been a huge boon to getting a clear sense of how these particulars function together.

What've I learned:
  • The secret to pre-shave oils is emulsion: rapidly palm lathering them with some water into an emulsion on the beard, which hydrates and softens the beard, and super slickly super protects the skin
  • Wetting the soap stick before applying provides me much better soap application.
  • Apply the soap stick right over the shaving oil emulsion, then marinate. I apply it right over the shave oil emulsion. Then I spend a minute or two putting some pomade in my hair and combing, by which time this beard marinade has done its magic.
  • Proraso Green cream superlathers beautifully with Arko stick! I like the scent combination, and boy does that Arko extend the life of a tube of Proraso, bringing cost/shave way down. And man, can I get fantastic yogurty face lathered lathers with it every time. Lather technique: After applying my shave oil emulsion, then the wet soap stick, and allowing to sit a minute or two, I apply a small dab of Bigelows/Proraso on my soaked brush (half as much as I'd use w/out the Arko), and I've got a good 1/4" of eucalypto-mentholated yoghurt on my face in about a 60+ seconds. This is typically after I've already showered. Either way, there's a two-three minute built in beard marination period from application of the shave oil-emulsion to finishing face lathering for the first pass.
  • Best prep for passes 2 and 3: rinse, leave the water on, then lather 15-20 seconds.
  • No more irritation on the ATG pass on my right neck. Hopefully a thing of the past.
  • Rapira blades
    • Stainless: ouch! after enduring multiple nicks from two blades, I threw the rest out)
    • Swedish Steel: Wayyyy better. About 5 great shaves/blade.
    • Platinum Lux: Best yet. Like butter, and going on 7 shaves thus far on my first blade. If I get to 10 shaves, this means it’s stiff competition to PolSilver, Voskhod, and other primo blades, but more cost-effective.
  • My BBS (or near BBS) (with neither nicks nor weepers) rate has significantly improved up to 95% of shaves.
  • Thai Crystal is my favorite alum because of its shape and packaging. First, it is potassium alum, the same salt in alum shaving blocks. But, its form, with the rounded head and the base, is much handier than a block, easier to grip and hold and apply to the face and elsewhere. Because alum is the most natural, comfortable, effective, cost-effective deodorant on the market, I use one crystal for both aftershave and underarms. The 4oz stick is much easier to hold than the 2oz, which is better for travel. Even using it for both purposes, at the rate I'm going, one crystal seems like it'll last for 2-3 years. Talk about cost-effective!
  • Thayers is better. Superior fragrance, skin healing and maintenance to the typical generic witch-hazels. As with any product including aloe, it does leave a slight shine.
  • Simplicity is beautiful. Reducing variables enables quicker, deeper learning. Focusing in and shaving with the same products for extended periods is one of the most essential learning techniques and habits to develop. Stop hunting for the best (shaving product) ever, and recognize that you're technique makes at least as much, perhaps more of a difference, and the only way to develop that is by learning the depths of technique with a stable kit.
  • I'm getting my best shaves yet with a kit which costs about $16 in hardware, and ~$35/year in consumables.
This is by no means everything I know about traditional shaving -- that'd take a small book. But it is quite a lot to have learned, and some pretty valuable lessons, in only 10 weeks!

SO, the biggest discovery is that spending some time focused on a tightly defined kit, reducing variables and getting intimately familiar with each element, has dramatically increased my shaving products and technique learning, performance and satisfaction. I now know these products way better, but also have learned and honed techniques which can be adapted to any products. These are things RAD sufferers and never ending rotators and grazers may never learn nor experience, unless they make time to use the same products day in and day out for an extended period of time. While I don't plan on dumping my collection, my approach is different now: work my way through it in a more considered, careful, thoughtful, and focused way, spending more deep, quality time with each product and getting to know its behavior more intimately. I’m thinking: a month (or two) more or less straight with a single product should provide a solid basis of understanding. Then I might be readier to decide what to do with it.

I'M CURIOUS: I've heard similar tales. I'm curious to to learn: AFTER collecting and rotating among many products, what simplified, focused kit have you used or do you now use which has enabled you to more deeply learn, more clearly experiment, and perfect your techniques and choices? Do please share your essentials kit and learnings!!

My 2014 Spring Shaving Kit
In Yonkers & Bushwick, NY. The Thayers was a late addition in the last 2 weeks -- found it forgotten under the kitchen sink of the apartment I'm subletting, with a broken cap, yet still sealed. It's now my gold standard witch-hazel. Out the window you can see the artsy, rapidly gentrifying streets of hipster Bushwick, Brooklyn (circa L.A. Burrito, the downstairs neighbor).

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great post. I'll have to look into those blades you recommend. As someone who is just started, i am still having trouble getting to some parts of my shave. Reluctantly, i have been using carts the past couple days because of time constraints. Something i tried on my last shave though was pulling my skin up. I could see this working but only if i did my shave in parts. When the whole face has lather on it you can't pull anything without sliding. I'll try doing the shave in parts and see if it helps.

I've also found benefit in reducing variables. I am down to one razor (Weber) and one blade (Feather). I mostly use the same soap. Need some brush variety though. Anyways, with the one razor and blade, I have really dialed it in for fantastic shaves with no irritation.

Side note, my travel kit has a Palmolive stick and some Bigelow (Proraso) cream. Dunno if I've superlathered the two but now I'm interested!

I've found my soap, Arko, and found that it works great heavily mentholated. I know a Tech or similar is my style of razor. Have my blades down to the best 3 with 1 that gets the most attention, and figured out I'm best with a 'mid sized' brush. Getting there. Slow, small steps.
Cheers

Halleluja, this man speaketh much sense.
Couldn't agree more - it's mostly technique.
I have decided one one razor and one blade. The razor is R41, the blade is the cheapest I can buy by the hundred (currently Dorco ST301).
I have standardized on 7 days per blade, a new one every Saturday.
I have standardized on face lathering.
That leaves soaps and brushes. There I have narrowed down to ones I enjoy.
Soap: MdC for two luxuriant shaves on Sat and Sun, using WD 20mm silvertip set to 45mm loft. Rest of the week: Biotique Palmyra with Semogue 830.
Traveling: Arko or Palmolive stick with old Omega Pura Setola.

I get consistently good shaves, seldom weepers or nicks. Too much choice can be a bad thing.

Voilà.

Reducing variables has been the method I've used since learning how to wet shave in February. For the first several months I used one razor, one blade, one aftershave, and eventually I learned to keep using one soap as well. It's worked wonders for me developing my technique.

Now that I've pretty much got my technique down, I allow myself a few more deviations throughout the week. I still find it best to never change more than one variable day to day.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have razors in every catagory; I use a razor at least until the blade needs changing. I use one soap/cream until I almost run out. I have 2 kinds of DE blades, 1 kind of SE injector and 2 kinds of SE blades. I rotate 4 brushes; 1 badger & 3 boar. I use one AS until it's time to re-order. What keeps me from being a minimalist is my variety of razors; With careful selection I like all the ones I have. When I pick one up I know what to expect.

I have about 20 vintage Gillettes and switch whenever the mood strikes me. Generally, it is shave with one razor until it's time to change blades and then switch. Soaps - only 2-3 and I use one until it's gone.

I am also getting into straights which is additional minimalization.

I'm working at the same thing, but from the angle of someone who doesn't have a lot of stuff, and has to learn with the stuff at hand.

I've got 2 razors, both closed comb. 8 soaps, which I've basically narrowed down to 3 (the rest of which I've determined do not work for me) ,and one tube of cream. I don't have the luxury of being able to have an AD, but I have definitely been lucky in finding some really great products very early on. I started doing this in the end of March/beginning of April, I think.

My first soap was Arko, which has remained one of favorites. Since then, I've added Proraso Green and white to my "USE THIS!" list. I get great results from them. And Nivea Sensitive cream. I have a 100 pack of Astra SP, and a handful of AS/ASB products.

As I said, I'm not able to buy new products every week, so I've had to choose what I do buy very carefully. I have bought some duds, but that's to be expected, I guess. And I've had to get to know the stuff I have very well in order to determine if it's good for me or not. For example: No matter how many good reviews it gets online, or how much I love the scent, Ogallala Bay Rum soap may as well be called Uncle Acid's Special Reserve Napalm Balm for all the good it did. I spent an entire week burning the hell out of face before I determined that this stuff is no good for me.

Fortunately, most of what I use can be easily replaced at the drugstore, and quite inexpensively. And by the time I need another puck of Arko, or more blades, I'll be ok with fulfilling the free shipping requirements. And of course, I've always got a fully stocked wishlist at Fendrihan, which I hope to get through some day :p

But for now, I'm using what I have, and using it well.

And I enjoy each and every shave.

I use the same razor, blade brand, soap (or cream) for 5 to 7 days. The only change being my brush rotation and selection of aftershave.

By using this I build up my experience with that particular razor/blade types and I can build up a great lather after getting to know the soap/cream being used.

Science!

Or, at least, a good way of designing experiments. I wholeheartedly agree on minimizing changes when exploring how one factor affects your shave (or anything). When I got my shavette, my entire kit changed, with the exception of my blades. I know that's not good practice, but I'd gone from using a soap to a cream, synthetic brush to badger, and DE razor to "straight". Since then, I've tried a few different creams, but I've settled down on one that seems to work for me. I'm also using the same blades that had good results in my DE (although I intend on trying Feather blades). Right now, I'm trying to work on technique, mostly pressure, angle, direction, and stroke length. I'm at a point where I can get a reasonably good shave with minimal irritation, but I think the irritation comes from poor technique or too much pressure on certain parts of my face.

Either way, I agree with minimizing changes until you find a combination that works. Then again, I also feel that once you know what works well, you should branch out and see what else there is available. At that point, you've got a strong basis for comparison, so you may find something that works better, but it's pretty obvious when something works worse.

Top Bottom