What's new

The Winter Beard

It can get pretty cold down here in Dallas, and yes, my winter beard definitely helps. If I shave it off, there is a very noticeable difference when the cold air hits my face.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm gonna give my razors a break this winter. I'll be shaving the cheek and neck lines though.
That's what I did last year, and will do again this year, starting today. I take a weeklong break from shaving to get the beard established, and then get back into the regular routine.

As far as warmth goes, it does help a bit. As another said, it doesn't really keep your face warmer, but it has a buffer effect. Like the difference between thin gloves and no gloves. The cold's still there, but it doesn't bite the same as it does on bare skin.

To me, a full beard in the middle of winter makes a huge difference, if I had to spend as much time as I used to outside in the winter, I'd be abandoning my friendly mutton chops right about now and be growing a full beard again. I live in northern Illinois, can get pretty cold here sometimes.

I was skiing last year in Breckenridge, CO and the winds at the top of the mountain were 80 MPH, then add flying down the mountain, and your face is done. I had a mustache at the time and I can definitely attest to the notion that having a beard provides a buffer. I was skiing back in MD before Co and I had a full beard. My face felt better with the full beard. It was the new year so I shaved the beard.

I found that my winter beard is just a repository for moisture and snotcicles to accumulate when I'm outside exercising.

Still won't stop me from growing another this year.

proxy.php

Like this. Notice that the clean-shaven parts of his face are ice-free.

This is may sound counter-intuitive, but assuming there is a beard under that ice, I bet he is warmer than without the beard. I used to grow a big beard every winter and I skiied a lot. In fact, I was skiing on the day of the freezer bowl between the Bengals and Chargers. My beard would crust over with snow and ice, but it acted like an igloo holding in the body heat and was quite warm underneath.

Last edited:
I spend most of the year outside anyway but I've always found a beard advantageous in very cold, windy weather, so I grew one every year. Very handy for hiding behind too! It was also a good chance to repair the damage to my face received via cartridges. Since the DE epiphany, I am enjoying being clean shaven and simply don't have any skin issues anymore, it's always better protected, and I can't even imagine having a beard this year, or for the foreseeable future. I'm just enjoying shaving too much now!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Been many moons since I sported a full beard, so my take is tainted by time and recollection-ability of an oldster. That said, I recall no advantage to the full beard in the cold, major disadvantage when inside. Neck is the worst part to shave anyway, so no time saved there.

Guess it depends on how one spends one's time - if outside all day in the winter above the Mason-Dixon, it might add some protection. I'm out only a couple hours in the winter, so a scarf or balaclava in January is better, more adjustable, and doesn't itch 24/7. Bottom line is an extra item of clothing can be taken off when indoors, or when the day gets hotter than you first went out.

If the beard is a sartorial statement of course none of the above would apply ..

When I get a hair cut during the winter my head feels noticeably colder.
Same is true when I shave during the winter.

It must provide some type of insulation, even if it's minimal.

I had a great beard during the summer once - grew it out for 6 months. The #1 question I got was "isn't that hot?".
Surprisingly it wasn't hot at all.

not hot at all, i agree. i found as a hairy sweaty guy, the moisture wicks from the face to the beard and cools the face, and provides a natural sun barrier to boot. spf 50 got nothin on my beard.

as a guy who just got into de shaving, i have shaved daily(almost) for the last several months, which is a personal record(i'm pretty sure i've shaved more in that same time as the rest of my short 36 years of life), but you guys are speaking my language. i love the winter beard, and heartily endorse the summer beard as well. i may just take the cover off and take the old girl for a spin.

Oh no! The horror of it. Gotta rock that handlebar my friend!

It will be back. Making sure my future father in law let's me take his daughter to America is on the front burner now. And he don't particularly care for the soup strainer.

Don't worry, it shall return.:euro:

I suppose it would depend on the weather conditions. If you're likely to get "snotcicles" or other ice in your beard, then it may not be any warmer, but in milder climates, yes I'd say it's warmer, that is, if you let it grow out thick and long. I keep mine about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long all the time now that I have an indoor job, can't stand looking wooly at the office, and I don't think it provides much insulation when this short. When I worked outside most of the time up until about 15 years ago, I kept it maybe 3/4 to an inch long during the winter. Except for about two months 26 years ago, I've had it for 29 years, so I really don't remember what it was like without it.

It will be back. Making sure my future father in law let's me take his daughter to America is on the front burner now. And he don't particularly care for the soup strainer.

Don't worry, it shall return.:euro:

I can understand the priorities, no doubt. Shame that there was a need to choose between the two things though. :(

Top Bottom