What's new

The Winter Beard

proxy.php

:lol:

I call my full winter beard "winterwear", been rocking it from about November thru March every year for the last 25+ years and I tell you, when I'm outside, during winter sports, especially with winds, a solid beard is a big plus to have for helping keeping the face warmer!

As for keeping your face too hot during the warmer parts of the year, think of it like a dog's coat, they shed to a thinner coat for the summer, then shed and grow a thicker coat for the winter, keeps them cozy all year round (for most, not all dogs), same can apply to humans! (Grabs a hair removing roller as the dog moves away from my shirt leaving clumps of hair behind!)

I call my full winter beard "winterwear", been rocking it from about November thru March every year for the last 25+ years and I tell you, when I'm outside, during winter sports, especially with winds, a solid beard is a big plus to have for helping keeping the face warmer!

As for keeping your face too hot during the warmer parts of the year, think of it like a dog's coat, they shed to a thinner coat for the summer, then shed and grow a thicker coat for the winter, keeps them cozy all year round (for most, not all dogs), same can apply to humans! (Grabs a hair removing roller as the dog moves away from my shirt leaving clumps of hair behind!)

Ruff!

To the original point of the thread: it makes a difference. I've had a beard for 12 years, but have been keeping it short and neat for the last 3 or so. When I had my big mountain man beard, I never really felt the need to don a scarf. I've missed that the last few winters.

I don't think that a beard keeps your face "warm", but it definitely has a nice buffering effect.

I don't know, but I start a van dyke every year on September 1st, then shave it off March 1st. 6 months with, six months without. I have followed that schedule for years, not so much for warmth, but if I shave it off during warmer months, I wind up with a noticeable pale lip and chin contrasted with an otherwise very tanned face, which is not a good look for me.

It is not a myth. Much like some of the other member shave said I also shaved towards the end of a winter and what a difference it was. Beards=winter warmth

I used to grow a beard in the winter. Partially for warmth partially so I didn't have to shave with a cartridge/electric but mostly because the LOTH likes it.
I think it operates like a wet suit by trapping (or at least slowing down) a layer of warm next to the skin only with air instead of water.

In the summer on the humid east coast, it inhibited the sweat from evaporating and was for me hotter.
I wore a beard in the Texas desert once and the and in the dry climate it helped cool me by slowing the evaporation of water. I also found loose fitting lightweight pants to be cooler as well for the same reason.

For me it makes a huge difference. Outside shoveling snow and not having your face feel as cold? The winter beard is a keeper

I think it can help some. I first grew my beard during the winter. The deal was I grew it until the wife got tired of it, or it got too hot in the summer. I still have it now. I've noticed no difference in the summer months. I will say that I have had instances of my beard freezing in the winter. Though I don't know for sure how much "colder" I would have felt if I didn't have the beard.

I'm wondering if it's a mental thing. Only because of the fact that I don't notice my face being any warmer during the summer. But you could always grow one and test it out for yourself. They are easy to remove if you don't find it's for you. :)

I usually wear a quite short tidy goatee (with 'tache and sides) for most of the year. I'm growing it out wider and thicker for the winter. I have a nice warm hat with side flaps and scarf so the beard should cover the bits that they miss :001_smile
Did buy a balaclava setup after wandering around outside on the day last winter that it supposedly felt like -42°C with windchill. That was fairly chilly :w00t:.
I do love winter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom