What's new

The Wickiup Thread

Not your typical 'gentlemanly indulgence', but this is my latest completed (well, almost) project. My wife calls it "the man cave". Micah and I are interested in making it into a 'sweat lodge'. Look that up if you are not familiar with the concept. Essentially, it's like a primitive sauna. Native Americans have used this design longer than the tepee.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the Wickiup Project 2009 in pictures:

I started with some very long saplings cut from around the creek that runs through the middle of my land.
View attachment 40554

Then, I dug narrow but deep holes in which to insert the poles.

View attachment 40555

Continuing the process by using rope and ladders to pull and bend the poles into position (this would have been much easier with a second person).

View attachment 40556

View attachment 40557

Looks like a neat backyard project. Is the cover material custom fitted/sewed or is it plain squared and rectangles just layed over each other?

It really looks big - I guess you're going to need a massive amount of hot rocks to get that space up to sauna tempature.

I saw one sweat lodge on a tv show, south american indian tribe. It was less than 5 foot tall and was the diameter of what would seem like a 4-6 man tent...and they had like 8+ guys stuffed into it, with a pit in the middle for hot rocks.

You'll need to report back on how it works out.

Not sewn. In hindsight, that would have been a better idea. But, you must consider two things. One, where I live, it stays hot most of the year and will be easy to get the temperature up in there well above the 'sweat level', even without hot rocks sometimes :rolleyes: And also, I've lined most of it with plastic, so it captures heat much easier than the materials that are usually used.

Yes, this wickiup is MUCH larger than the typical wickiup or sweat lodge. It's about 8 and a half feet tall and could sleep 6 adults on the floor, comfortably.

I'll let you know how it goes. :tongue_sm

...and could sleep 6 adults on the floor, comfortably.

I guess I'm getting too old for stuff like this. When I see a brick floor combined with the words, "sleep...comfortably," my mind goes into gridlock! :001_smile

But I sure wouldn't turn down an invite to come on over for a cold beer and hot sweat!

Well, Ken, ol' buddy, we'll have to see what we can do about that. :wink: And yes, I realize that the brick floor isn't in the usual realm of "comfort". :001_rolle

Good news, wickiup followers! Micah and I spent a few hours this evening recovering the wickiup. We hope it works as a sweat lodge, which we'll try out as soon as possible. New pics of the wickiup will be coming in a day or two.

-Prof

UPDATE!

For you true wickiup fans out there, here is the grand tour:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbR3ZHwFRu8[/YOUTUBE]

3 people recently died in a sweat lodge in Sedona AZ. (google for details). While no clear reason is yet given, a Native American thought the use of impervious materials might be responsible. He said they ALWAYS used breathable material.
Just thought you might like to know.

3 people recently died in a sweat lodge in Sedona AZ. (google for details). While no clear reason is yet given, a Native American thought the use of impervious materials might be responsible. He said they ALWAYS used breathable material.
Just thought you might like to know.
yeah, I remember hearing about that and thought about the wickiup, but didn't think about it when I talked to you the other day, Doug
Doug?

DOOUUGG!!!!

oh, whew....he wasn't in the wickiup :biggrin:

but seriously, that was terrible, but I wonder how much of the truth we're actually going to get out of that event

That's an interesting idea. I'd love to build something like that, but I think I would run electrical to it, hang a ceiling fan with a light, put in a dorm fridge, and turn it into a cigar/poker room.

Top Bottom