What's new

The weight of the razor

Hello gentlemen, I'd like your opinion on this; does the weight of the razor have any influence on the quality of the shave? Assuming that the build quality of both razors are decent... Would the heavier one provide a better/worse shave?

I certainly believe so, as the weight of the razor reduces the amount of pressure your hand needs to provide, which also helps avoid irritating, slicing, ingrown's, and razor burn. If the razor has little to no weight, then its pretty much your hand providing all the momentum for the razor. Thats why I love my Merkur 34C, it has great weight and just cruises as it chops my hair.

Not necessarily, as many light weight razors are excellent shavers. The Gem featherweight is an example of a light razor that provides an exceptional shave.

Certainly the feel of a finely machined 4 pound stainless steel razor is impressive, however I think it's more of a man issue as opposed to a weight issue. Many of us like weight, stainless steel and machinery, at least I know I do.

Some of my big brand heavier razors are easily outperformed by the simple Gillette lightweight techs.

The perfect weight razor is the one that is perfect for you with your technique, style, blades etc.

Great question. As a newbie en route to non-newbie status, I'd say that the weight of my DE89L was very helpful in forcing me to ease up and let the razor do the work. This as opposed to the pressure I'd use with my cartridge razor.

I have a growing collection of (mostly) vintage razors, and find that my Slim Adjustable, Fat Boy and Flare Tip all offer a great shave. I think this is in large part to the fact that the weight of the 89L (my first post-starter purchase) forced me to slow down, and focus on angle and technique.

Now that I think about it, kind of like a batting donut in baseball. But this is just my experience. As with many of these topics, YMMV.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A heavier razor certainly does help the novice in the concept of applying no pressure: just allow the razor to do the whole job. A very light razor does require a minimal pressure, but this is something that a man completely new to DE shaving may not fully understand at the beginning. Hence, heavier razors are easier to use for a newbie, but do not shave any better in experienced hands.

I initially thought the weight did not matter but I do find that my 38C does shave differently than say my Gillette SS and i think the weight makes the difference

I’m a newbie with 5 weeks DE and brush shaving under my belt. I am using an EJ Chatsworth Barley Classic (4 oz) razor. The advice that I have received on this forum re: allowing the weight of the razor to do the work, seems to paying off for me. I apply virtually no pressure and concentrate on guiding the razor, and I am getting good shaves this way. I recently acquired a Gillette SS which I am looking forward to trying out once I develop more proficiency using a DE razor, but for now the heavier razor is working well for me.

I use single edge razors exclusively. I get great shaves from most of them but have to admit the heaver ones are easier to me.

[FONT=&quot]I'm a newbie with just 1 week of DE experience this time around, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Prompted by this thread, I took my EJ Kelvin (the EJ 89 with a short, fat handle) and compared it to the same head with a much heavier (and longer) brass handle from a RazoRock Mission. Here are the spec.
Kelvin Handle: 30 grams - 2.99" (75.94 mm) X .494" ( 12.56mm) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RR Handle: 58 grams – 3.55” (90.18mm) X .389” (11.45mm).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thus the EJ/RR combo weighed 28 grams more than the EJ Kelvin (88gm vs. 60 gm) and the razor was a little over ½” longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I lathered with Straight Razors Designs’ lime soap. I did a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) starting with the Kelvin for the right side of my face. Switched to the RR handle to do the left side, and proceeded to alternate handles through the next two passes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I did not notice any significant differences during the shave, except that being used to the short handle, I felt more agile and comfortable using it. In my judgment, there were no significant differences in terms of closeness of shave or the ease of the shave (both seemed to be at least dfs. I did not have any nicks or weepers, and I didn’t feel much irritation on either side of my face. Later this evening at a party I asked a woman friend to tell me which side was smoother… she said both were really smooth! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m probably too inexperienced to judge the differences. It may be that the EJ head compensates for the weight differences, or maybe the length differences counterbalances the weight differences. Maybe there were differences on the first pass that were evened out by the third? Anyway, I’m going back to the original Kelvin configuration because I like the ability to manipulate it, and may try this again at a later time.[/FONT]

I do think that a a heavier razor makes the "no pressure" shaving a lot easier, because you can feel the weight of the razor on your skin. Personally I like light razors (like the Feather Popular and Schick Krona), but they only work when you can resist pressing down on the razor.

Hello gentlemen, I'd like your opinion on this; does the weight of the razor have any influence on the quality of the shave? Assuming that the build quality of both razors are decent... Would the heavier one provide a better/worse shave?

Not for me. While heavier razors allow "no pressure" shaving on the cheeks they take some getting used to on the neck and under the chin. Light razors require some pressure everywhere and to me that promotes a consistent technique. It's for that reason that I prefer light razors and in fact use a Standard which is about as light as a DE gets. You have to sample both ends of the scale and decide for yourself.

Comparing a Gillette Tech with a light handle and extremely light head with the much heavier EJ89 head with Apollo Stainless Steel handle, I'd say: No. It isn't the weight. I can get a great or pee-poor shave from either. The same is true of slants vs non-slants...but I might have to adjust my favorite techniques to match the razor.

Some razors have a balance that feels more natural to some of us, or have a design that works well with our normal shaving habits. But in the end, it is the hand that holds the razor that controls how good the shave is...

Last edited:
I do think that a a heavier razor makes the "no pressure" shaving a lot easier, because you can feel the weight of the razor on your skin. Personally I like light razors (like the Feather Popular and Schick Krona), but they only work when you can resist pressing down on the razor.
+1

Not necessarily. Razor weight is a it like handle length, it's down to what you prefer. I like the heft of my stainless razors and dislike the featherweight feel of the Standard razor, but some people are the other way round. I also like to use stainless handles with my vintage razor heads as I find the original handles too light.

I use Schick injectors, and, based on what I read here, they are probably lighter than the DEs used by many. The injectors still have enough weight to "let the razor do the work" IMHO, and I believe they are a little heavier than the Mach3 (may it rest in peace) that I formerly used.

I believe the key is to hold the razor near/at the "balance point" on the handle, with thumb and one finger...this seems to give the best feedback/control over the weight/pressure. The objective is NO PRESSURE! It would seem that this would be true for any razor, irrespective of its weight.

Last edited:
Not factor in shave quality. Different weight razors require differing technique, but that's the extent of it.

It's like having a town car: you don't feel the bumps in the road, but you might drive into a tree if you push it. I drop heavy razors. Light touch and light grip are not so easy to tease apart.

Top Bottom