What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Glad it's not just me :lol: I do sometimes wonder if I'm causing some consternation with my perspectives at times, finding cheap soaps superior to premium ones, not being enamoured by many popular blades, and even certain razors too :p
I really do like finding cheap soaps that punch well above their price point. A lot of them have been in business for a very long time. I also admired Cal when he was going through his collecting cheap razor phase. I remember him getting the plastic handle razors like Wilkerson Sword. I think he turned one into a devette. I think collecting the cheap products is brilliant. If I was into collecting more, I'd collect some of these razors. I'd keep some in the package to keep them as nos. For me it would hold archival value.

I know you could not possibly mean Fatip now could you? :tongue_sm I find them amazing. They fit the bill. They are cheap and shave brilliantly. :001_smile

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I really do like finding cheap soaps that punch well above their price point. A lot of them have been in business for a very long time. I also admired Cal when he was going through his collecting cheap razor phase. I remember him getting the plastic handle razors like Wilkerson Sword. I think he turned one into a devette. I think collecting the cheap products is brilliant. If I was into collecting more, I'd collect some of these razors. I'd keep some in the package to keep them as nos. For me it would hold archival value.

I think the first 20 years of shaving cheaply, and getting great shaves with one razor, one blade brand, and off the shelf lather stuff, has limited my ability to appreciate higher end products. Had I struggled to get a shave I was happy with, as many here seem to have done, it might be a different story.

I suppose it's much the same as the one pass shave, which as you are discovering, can very often be all that's needed, and thoroughly enjoyable without having to go further.

I joined you in a one pass shave today, albeit with a slightly modified direction. Better than an electric would get, and better than any cartridge shaves me. This time I finished off with a bit of the Old Spice Fresh Lime. A very nice twist on the original. The lime is very present at first, but soon gives way to the original formula. I'll use it a couple more times before deciding which of those two I prefer.

I know you could not possibly mean Fatip now could you? :tongue_sm I find them amazing. They fit the bill. They are cheap and shave brilliantly. :001_smile

I refuse to say anything without my solicitor being present :surrender::a38:

:D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Back on the Bundle and Rust Goat's Milk soap. I've served up the last of the tin into the ramekin, and moulded it in. I do however still have another full tin of it to get through. The dollop I served up seemed to have dried out a little, and took a bit more getting started than usual (was harder to mould to the pot too), but that should resolve itself after another shave or two, once it's taken some more moisture on.

Same razor, same blade, and topped off once more with the Old Spice Fresh Lime. The lime wasn't as much of a surprise to the senses this time, and seemed more at one with the overall scent. After another use or two, I'll revisit the original, and see if it seems like something's missing...

Same razor, same blade, and topped off once more with the Old Spice Fresh Lime. The lime wasn't as much of a surprise to the senses this time, and seemed more at one with the overall scent. After another use or two, I'll revisit the original, and see if it seems like something's missing...
I think thats when you'll realise how different the two are to each other. I've been using both for a couple of years now and can detect the differences immediately.
I much prefer the fresh lime version and it's my most used AS by a long way.

When you get to trying my homebrew version of it you'll notice something different again. More limey, but not overpowering so. After a while it leaves you with a pleasant lime scent that the fresh lime version doesn't.

I need to either make more or try something different, like bergamont, or lemon, or ylang ylang, or whatever. I have a largish collection of essential oils at my disposal, and I'll carry on using the original old spice as a base - for now anyway.
If I hit on the ultimate Old Spice formula, I'll be sure to send some your way Al. 😊

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice one, Doug :D

I wasn't entirely sure about the Fresh Lime formula when I first tried it, the lime was bolder than I expected, but I'm liking it a lot more now. As you say, the lime doesn't have the staying power of the rest of the scent, but I don't find that to be a problem. It mellows out nicely.

Used it again today. In fact, today was a direct replay of everything from yesterday. The soap behaved better today for having being wetted yesterday. The Astra blade still going strong.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had a shave earlier in the week (Monday?), but automatic pilot kicked in, and I reached for the bottle to my left once I'd shaved. That was the cheapo Freshwood from Boots. As a cheap splash and go, I really can't fault it. I think I prefer the Forest Fresh from Superdrug though. I have actually picked up a couple of extra bottles of the Forest Fresh now. At £4 total for two bottles, I might as well keep some to hand, until I find myself a new favourite.

Today, I was a little more compos mentis than I have been much of the week. Still not altogether with it though, so just a single pass today, and then reached for the sample of Doug's lime infused Old Spice homebrew. A brighter, less brash, lime scent on this one. In fact the whole thing seemed mellower. Or maybe my mind still wasn't altogether present. I need to try again another day to confirm.

I've not been firing on all cylinders all week. Yesterday, I somehow managed to miss the postman, and got one of the "come fetch it" cards through the letterbox - but I was in all day yesterday! Completely missed the knock on the door (and he ain't subtle about it), and the rattle of the letterbox as the card came through. All part of the rollercoaster ride though. A kick up the backside to get me out of the house and have a trip into town to collect it, isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

I had a shave earlier in the week (Monday?), but automatic pilot kicked in, and I reached for the bottle to my left once I'd shaved. That was the cheapo Freshwood from Boots. As a cheap splash and go, I really can't fault it. I think I prefer the Forest Fresh from Superdrug though. I have actually picked up a couple of extra bottles of the Forest Fresh now. At £4 total for two bottles, I might as well keep some to hand, until I find myself a new favourite.

Today, I was a little more compos mentis than I have been much of the week. Still not altogether with it though, so just a single pass today, and then reached for the sample of Doug's lime infused Old Spice homebrew. A brighter, less brash, lime scent on this one. In fact the whole thing seemed mellower. Or maybe my mind still wasn't altogether present. I need to try again another day to confirm.

I've not been firing on all cylinders all week. Yesterday, I somehow managed to miss the postman, and got one of the "come fetch it" cards through the letterbox - but I was in all day yesterday! Completely missed the knock on the door (and he ain't subtle about it), and the rattle of the letterbox as the card came through. All part of the rollercoaster ride though. A kick up the backside to get me out of the house and have a trip into town to collect it, isn't necessarily a bad thing though.
Isn't it always the way with the post?

Did you get out today? The weather was stunning down here - hope so for you.

I was looking at the Boots aftershaves yesterday. Never tried them. Any good?

All my local Boots have been cutting back on their traditional shaving products - cannot find a styptic pencil anywhere.

I think the first 20 years of shaving cheaply, and getting great shaves with one razor, one blade brand, and off the shelf lather stuff, has limited my ability to appreciate higher end products. Had I struggled to get a shave I was happy with, as many here seem to have done, it might be a different story.

I suppose it's much the same as the one pass shave, which as you are discovering, can very often be all that's needed, and thoroughly enjoyable without having to go further.

I joined you in a one pass shave today, albeit with a slightly modified direction. Better than an electric would get, and better than any cartridge shaves me. This time I finished off with a bit of the Old Spice Fresh Lime. A very nice twist on the original. The lime is very present at first, but soon gives way to the original formula. I'll use it a couple more times before deciding which of those two I prefer.

I refuse to say anything without my solicitor being present :surrender::a38:

:D
I find myself going back to basics. It's been a couple of years or more since I discovered the forums and the ensuing RAD / HAD they inspired. Since you introduced me to Mitchell's, and I discovered Omega brushes, and coticules, I have found a happy norm that I can return to without too much exploration of options. Of course - I still like experimentation when a member suggests something new, but like you I am happy to return to a standard that gives me the shave I like. The difference is that I think you were already much more disciplined in your shaving before coming onto the forums. I have learnt so much that has enriched my shaves from you and others, I realise that whilst I was getting great DE and straight shaves for 30 years there was much room from improvement.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Isn't it always the way with the post?

Did you get out today? The weather was stunning down here - hope so for you.

Nah. Didn't get to sleep while gone 4am, so by the time I woke and the med fog had cleared, it was too late. I could have probably got there before it shut, but not been back in time for today's post, so I'd have been no better off. The festive pressies for my neices are plodding their way to me from various corners of the internet, so trying to be in (both in body and mind) when the postie comes.

I was looking at the Boots aftershaves yesterday. Never tried them. Any good?

All my local Boots have been cutting back on their traditional shaving products - cannot find a styptic pencil anywhere.

If you want a quick splash for the skin, that's pleasantly scented but fades quick, it's fine. I still prefer the Superdrug Forest Fresh though, both in feel and scent.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I realise that whilst I was getting great DE and straight shaves for 30 years there was much room from improvement.

I dare say that even though I was settled in my ways when I came here, I too have benefitted both from what others have learned, and simply from paying conscious thought to what I'm doing again. I've shaved with a DE on a cruise ship in a hurricane, and not cut myself (I did take a chunk out of my goatee though), so I was pretty well practised already. Being inspired to think about the individual aspects of the shave, though various conversations on here, has led to a few changes though, including direction of first pass below the jaw, the confidence to wield a straight occasionally, and trying various samples.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Full three pass shave today. I had a friend's 70th birthday to attend. Everything was the same - soap, brush, razor, and the Astra blade that seems to have been in ages is still going strong. No aftershave though, as I went for EdT instead. I did have a very rare sighting of blood though. Very unlike me. It was only a weeper, and I never felt a thing, but I always get a feeling of dismay and annoyances.

Another shock came from straightening my hair, which I haven't done for several months. I've been sporting a natural wave collar length bob for a good while now, but am overdue for a trim, and it wasn't looking great, so I decided to get the hair iron out. Straightened, the fringe (which I think some of you call bangs) is only about two or three inches above nipple height. So I'm undecided to go for the trim, or keep growing it. It did actually look quite good straightened - to my wonky eyes anyway.

It was good to get out and see them, as I haven't seen that family for about three years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Full three pass BBS today. I wanted nothing short of perfection. No reason, just whim of the day.

Finished off with Doug's homebrew Old Spice with added lime oil. I'm enjoying using it, and I prefer the initial application scent to the commercial Fresh Lime application, but I'm not sure I prefer the added longevity of the lime scent. I like the lime as an ingredient, but I find the lime stays once the rest of it subsides, leaving it as the dominant scent. I think I prefer Old Spice with a hint of lime, rather than Lime with a hint of old spice. The Fresh Lime on the other hand, is lime overdose to start with, settling down to acceptable levels pretty quickly, but not hanging around much to compliment the residual Old Spice scent.

I need to revisit the SV70 again to be certain, but I think I'd rank the five samples that Doug kindly sent me, as follows...

1) Old Spice Original
2) SV70
3) Doug's Old Spice with added Lime
4) Old Spice Fresh Lime
5) 4711

I do actually like the 4711 scent, but it doesn't add much to the skin feel. So a pleasant but short lived scent (which for me is great), but I don't seem to feel as much "benefit" from use as the others. It's hard to give a definitive ranking though, as the applications have so much time from one to the next, it's not easy for me to compare one to another, never mind five different ones. The bottom line, is that I'm happy to use any of them. However, I'm also as happy to use the £2.49 Superdrug Forest Fresh, which I'd rank towards the top of the overall comparison. The Boots Freshwood would probably rank alongside the Fresh Lime or 4711.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I fancied a change today, and so I lathered up with Mitchell's instead of the Goats Milk. Then I switched the well used Astra blade (cleaning off some of the built up scum as I did so) into the now noticably patinaed Razorine.

One pass, North to South above the jaw, and South to North below. It felt clumsy. I haven't used this razor for a while, and still haven't fully got to understand it yet. I rinsed off, and was quite disappointed with the finish. I know both I and the razor can do better. Was it the three day growth being a little much for one pass, or just my handling being a little off? Either way, the job wasn't done.

Lathered up again, and went as near to horizontal as I can manage with a razor that sports an inline handle. When I rinsed off again, I had a very near BBS all over. Finished off with a generous splash of the Boots Freshwood. The main issue with my handling of this razor, aside from not always finding the right angle, is that I haven't learnt how to pressureless shave with it yet. For some reason, I tend to be heavier handed with this razor. Heavier than I would be with the Dovo shavette. That said, there was very little in the way of admonishment from the aftershave.

I didn't fully enjoy the shave, maybe because I felt a little clumsy, but the end result is good.

I saw you had bought a Mitchell's in the ceramic bowl. I'm curious as to whether you will be using that. My Mitchell's has kept much better than other soap. I believe that could be one of three things:

1) Something in it's ingredients.
2) The ceramic bowl vs. the usual wooden ones.
3) The fact that I used it up faster than any other soap (not sure if it doesn't go so far or whether I was lathering more because I liked it so much).

Interested in your experience if you are using the bowl / pot thingy.

I fancied a change today, and so I lathered up with Mitchell's instead of the Goats Milk. Then I switched the well used Astra blade (cleaning off some of the built up scum as I did so) into the now noticably patinaed Razorine.

One pass, North to South above the jaw, and South to North below. It felt clumsy. I haven't used this razor for a while, and still haven't fully got to understand it yet. I rinsed off, and was quite disappointed with the finish. I know both I and the razor can do better. Was it the three day growth being a little much for one pass, or just my handling being a little off? Either way, the job wasn't done.

Lathered up again, and went as near to horizontal as I can manage with a razor that sports an inline handle. When I rinsed off again, I had a very near BBS all over. Finished off with a generous splash of the Boots Freshwood. The main issue with my handling of this razor, aside from not always finding the right angle, is that I haven't learnt how to pressureless shave with it yet. For some reason, I tend to be heavier handed with this razor. Heavier than I would be with the Dovo shavette. That said, there was very little in the way of admonishment from the aftershave.

I didn't fully enjoy the shave, maybe because I felt a little clumsy, but the end result is good.
Going back and using shavettes after coticule edges I am finding them as different as night and day. It is almost completely different shaving style. I used to like a very sharp razor. But now I see the benefit of the softer edges - especially at 6:00 am when I have just woken up and I am in a rush. I only use shavettes now at the weekend, and when I am in the mood.

It's really interesting:

1) enjoyable shave
2) good result

Don't always go together.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I saw you had bought a Mitchell's in the ceramic bowl. I'm curious as to whether you will be using that. My Mitchell's has kept much better than other soap. I believe that could be one of three things:

1) Something in it's ingredients.
2) The ceramic bowl vs. the usual wooden ones.
3) The fact that I used it up faster than any other soap (not sure if it doesn't go so far or whether I was lathering more because I liked it so much).

Interested in your experience if you are using the bowl / pot thingy.

That's what I used for the last shave. The puck is still in there at the moment, but I will be changing that slightly...

My last puck of Mitchell's was on target for between 450 and 500 shaves, but went off before I finished it. I plan on doing the same with this, as I do with the other ramekin I serve stuff up in. I'm going to break it up into smaller chunks, grate one into the ceramic pot, and wrap the rest up and put them away somewhere, and then grate another when the first has run out.Or at least I was, before I just wet the puck again, and now I have to wait for it to fully dry out once more.

This way, I'm not getting the whole cake of soap wet 450 times. whatever soap is in there is only getting wet a few dozen times before that segment is use up, and should hopefully prevent or minimise loss due to spoilage. I also have another spare one in the drawer, still sealed in the packaging.

Talking of spare soaps, I went in Wilko a few days ago, and they've stopped selling Palmolive sticks too! So I think there's only Superdrug selling them in regular town shops now, plus Connaught. That's not an issue for me though, as I stashed a few away when the rumours first started flying around earlier in the year, plus there's a grated bowl ful in the bathroom, plus 3/4 of a stick in my travel wash kit. I probably average about 0.25g a shave with this stuff, just like I do with Mitchell's.

That's what I used for the last shave. The puck is still in there at the moment, but I will be changing that slightly...

My last puck of Mitchell's was on target for between 450 and 500 shaves, but went off before I finished it. I plan on doing the same with this, as I do with the other ramekin I serve stuff up in. I'm going to break it up into smaller chunks, grate one into the ceramic pot, and wrap the rest up and put them away somewhere, and then grate another when the first has run out.Or at least I was, before I just wet the puck again, and now I have to wait for it to fully dry out once more.

This way, I'm not getting the whole cake of soap wet 450 times. whatever soap is in there is only getting wet a few dozen times before that segment is use up, and should hopefully prevent or minimise loss due to spoilage. I also have another spare one in the drawer, still sealed in the packaging.

Talking of spare soaps, I went in Wilko a few days ago, and they've stopped selling Palmolive sticks too! So I think there's only Superdrug selling them in regular town shops now, plus Connaught. That's not an issue for me though, as I stashed a few away when the rumours first started flying around earlier in the year, plus there's a grated bowl ful in the bathroom, plus 3/4 of a stick in my travel wash kit. I probably average about 0.25g a shave with this stuff, just like I do with Mitchell's.
When it went off was it in the ceramic pot.

Going back and using shavettes after coticule edges I am finding them as different as night and day. It is almost completely different shaving style. I used to like a very sharp razor. But now I see the benefit of the softer edges - especially at 6:00 am when I have just woken up and I am in a rush. I only use shavettes now at the weekend, and when I am in the mood.

It's really interesting:

1) enjoyable shave
2) good result

Don't always go together.
I'm getting the same regarding the coti edge. Everything else just feels a bit "off".

It's like I'm being typecast by a coticule :001_tt2:

Hoping the ZG will give a similar soft edge that I crave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When it went off was it in the ceramic pot.

No, it was in a mug. Actually, it sat on top of my scuttle for the first half of the shaves it gave, but when it eventually cracked and broke (flat bottom soap, on a dished top scuttle - had to happen eventually), I grated it into a mug. It continued to work for several months after, but even being left open topped, it still continued to accumulate moisture, and get softer and softer, which was great - right up to the point when it wasn't!

The other reason I like using the ramekin, is there's no run-off. All the initial froth that forms, stays in there, and incorporates back into the lather. Less waste, moister load, and less mess. The lid on the pot should help keep the additional moisture in, for softer soap and quicker loading, but the partial load should mean it gets used before it goes off.

Or that's my theory anyway :p

I have been wrong before. 1987 I think it was :lol:

The other thing I might try - on the next one - is carving the underside with a potato peeler, so it sits properly on top of the scuttle. Or... getting some of the gratings, and packing them together into a patty with my hands, again moulded to sit on top of the scuttle.

Top Bottom