What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks to Doug @Somerled my samples box just got a little fuller.

The five aftershave samples in the bottom right hand corner arrived today, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I think I'll be reaching for the original Old Spice first. I'm almost certain to have used it before, but not for a few decades. I wonder if it will smell familiar? Either way, I need to "set" my senses with that, before I try the other two variants he sent.

IMG_20191022_162419.jpg

Thanks again Doug! Very much appreciated.

This afternoon was quiet and peaceful. I'm hoping they've now finished the work on the neighbour's roof. There's still the scaffold to come down, and clatter around, but the worst is hopefully over and I can then have some recovery time before trying to resume normal life.

Tomorrow though, I have to be functional, as I have a hospital appointment. Never a fan of morning appointments, but I'll get my head down for a few hours when I get back. Hopefully the scaffolders won't be playing industrial sized Kerplunk when I do.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Update on the homebrew.

The test mix with witchhazel I did a couple of days ago, now has beads of oil floating it it. Either the alcohol isn't dissolving them fully, or the witchhazel is causing precipitation. I only used ethanol rather than adding some isopropyl alcohol too, but don't know enough about chemistry to know if that's a factor.

So, options are as follows:
1) Try adding some isopropyl alcohol, then do another test mix. Maybe that will stabilise it.
2) Try thinning down with something other than witchhazel. Maybe glycerin. Maybe apple cider vinegar.

I don't have any of those ingredients to try at present, but I know I can get both glycerin and either isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirits from the pharmacy near my doctor's surgery.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks to Doug @Somerled my samples box just got a little fuller.

The five aftershave samples in the bottom right hand corner arrived today, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I think I'll be reaching for the original Old Spice first. I'm almost certain to have used it before, but not for a few decades. I wonder if it will smell familiar? Either way, I need to "set" my senses with that, before I try the other two variants he sent.

View attachment 1028159

Thanks again Doug! Very much appreciated.

This afternoon was quiet and peaceful. I'm hoping they've now finished the work on the neighbour's roof. There's still the scaffold to come down, and clatter around, but the worst is hopefully over and I can then have some recovery time before trying to resume normal life.

Tomorrow though, I have to be functional, as I have a hospital appointment. Never a fan of morning appointments, but I'll get my head down for a few hours when I get back. Hopefully the scaffolders won't be playing industrial sized Kerplunk when I do.

Impressive sample stash, Al. Should keep you going a lot time. Take notes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Managed to get a shave done. Didn't happen yesterday, so 2 day growth removed today, then reached for the original Old Spice. The first thing I noticed, is that aftershave is very good at finding little cuts that you didn't know you had. Not on the face, but a fingertip on my left hand. Ouch!

Once that passed, and attention returned to where it should have been, I found the scent of Old Spice to be very generic - but I don't mean that in a bad way. I'd had a quiet little concern that it might have seemed somewhat dated, in the way that the DR Harris Bay Rum does, but the Old Spice doesn't smell that way to me at all. There is a slight floral undertone once it's been sat on the face for a minute or so, but doesn't seem misplaced in era. Just a very pleasant classic aftershave scent.

Skin feel is nice too. Not too drying, but clean enough as to contrast it from balm. It needs a few more uses to be sure, but I think I may well have found something else I could happily wear everyday.

You missed my joke I think.
Sorry Jim I got the joke ok, then noticed you had corrected my spelling mistake as well. The same one I was going to correct myself, before I got distracted and managed to forget all about. 😊

Anyways, glad the samples turned up Al.
My favourite is the OS with Fresh Lime, not exactly overpowered with lime but just enough to make it different - fresher. The OS with lime oil is my unashamed attempt at copying it, but it turned out different again. In a good way, I think.
Can't make up my mind if I should make more or try OS with something else.

SV 70th is another favourite, more of a summer fragrance though (seems that way to me).
4711 is a classic barber shop scent. It's like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I hate marmite but love 4711.
:straight:

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sorry Jim I got the joke ok, then noticed you had corrected my spelling mistake as well. The same one I was going to correct myself, before I got distracted and managed to forget all about. 😊

Anyways, glad the samples turned up Al.
My favourite is the OS with Fresh Lime, not exactly overpowered with lime but just enough to make it different - fresher. The OS with lime oil is my unashamed attempt at copying it, but it turned out different again. In a good way, I think.
Can't make up my mind if I should make more or try OS with something else.

SV 70th is another favourite, more of a summer fragrance though (seems that way to me).
4711 is a classic barber shop scent. It's like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I hate marmite but love 4711.
:straight:

Cheers Doug. Based on that, I think I'll do the 4711 and SV70 next, then come back to the Old Spice spectrum later. I must say, the bottles that your samples arrived in, are much better than the plastic ones the others arrived in.

I also need to clear up an error from earlier. It's not the Harris Bay Rum that seems very dated, it's the Wickhams Russian Leather that seems to have escaped the pocket of history it should have been confined to. The Bay Rum does have an old feel to it too, but unlike the Russian Leather, you don't mind that scent having survived the journey. I know the Russian Leather is supposed to be like Imperial Leather soap, and it kind of is, but concentrated and dialled up to 11. The net result being a vague recollection of scents from my childhood, and thinking "Why on earth do grown-ups want to smell like THAT?"

Raven Koenes

My precious!
UGHHH!! That's grim! :nuke::nuke:
...the other one in the line, Sierran Breeze, is disgusting!
You have peaked my interest with this one. That is as long as it dissipates rather quickly. I'm not into cologne aftershaves like Furbo Blu. I wanted to tear my face off with that one. It smelled like something I'd imagine Don Corleone might wear. I'm just into your more basic obnoxious scents like cats urine, old lady's purse, and urinal pucks when I want a break from finer scents like Wickhams and SV.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I could literally take a bath in all three of those items. Am I crazy?

Having been successful in avoiding them, I couldn't say :D

You have peaked my interest with this one. That is as long as it dissipates rather quickly. I'm not into cologne aftershaves like Furbo Blu. I wanted to tear my face off with that one. It smelled like something I'd imagine Don Corleone might wear. I'm just into your more basic obnoxious scents like cats urine, old lady's purse, and urinal pucks when I want a break from finer scents like Wickhams and SV.

I'm not sure how you'd get your mitts on it over there, Rave. It's a UK store own brand.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Regular shave today. Same soap, brush, razor, etc. 4711 to finish.

I quite like it. It's very clean and refreshing. Not sure I'd go as far as to say I love it though, but that might just be my liking for slightly deeper scents. Skin feel seems decent too, on first use. I'll give this a few more consecutive uses, to see if and how my opinions develop. Based purely on one use, I'd say it's perfectly fine, but I prefer that Superdrug Forest Fresh.

Oh, and I enjoyed Marmite on toast for breakfast :D

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know Tabac appeals to some gentlemen. It's the perfect example for me of how our noses differ. I literally can't imagine how anyone can stand the scent of Tabac.

Tabac friends warn you.jpg

I remember the time I used Tabac. Time, not times. Once. Once being too many times. I liked the shave with it and tried to convince myself I could get used to the scent. The lingering scent after the shave convinced me otherwise. Frankly it was a horrible scent to my nose and grew worse. Just a little whiff of it was horrible. Kinda like an allergy in the world of the five senses.

It's been over two years since I used Tabac that one time and I can still smell it (in my mind) sometimes (not that I try to). I'm sorry I ever encountered the scent.

There are other bad scents, but...

Tabac is worse.jpg

I can absolutely appreciate why some might hate or be bothered by the scent of the Veg or the initial scent of Special Reserve, but I am not. Perhaps that's how others feel about Tabac's scent.

Please, Tabac, Make a Good Smelling Soap.jpg

I recall liking well enough the non scent related aspects of my one shave with Tabac.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The replacement Razorine dropped through my letterbox today. Sadly, it was after I'd already shaved.

This one seems much better than the last one, full thread, better alignment, so I look forward to getting some decent shaves with it. Sweeney's, the vendor, were brilliant in getting the issue resolved.

Regular shave today. Same soap, brush, razor, etc. 4711 to finish.

I quite like it. It's very clean and refreshing. Not sure I'd go as far as to say I love it though, but that might just be my liking for slightly deeper scents. Skin feel seems decent too, on first use. I'll give this a few more consecutive uses, to see if and how my opinions develop. Based purely on one use, I'd say it's perfectly fine, but I prefer that Superdrug Forest Fresh.

Oh, and I enjoyed Marmite on toast for breakfast :D
I don't use it that often, mostly just for a change from Old Spice. Wife always comments how much she likes it when it's used.
It is very refreshing to use it in the summer though, in the winter I prefer more woody/spicy scents.

Marmite, can't understand how anyone could put that stuff on their toast - or anything else for that matter. :yikes:

Top Bottom