What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I bet I'd still get cheaper shaves with a Palmolive stick, Mike :D 200-ish for £0.50

At $1.99 a bottle, I figure ~600 shaves per bottle. Thats Canadian money too. I'll bet the Palmolive stick has a wee bit more cushion than Dawn though lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
:D

Well, I've still got a long way to go towards using up everything that's already here, so no temptation to be stocking up on dish soap just yet :p

Still roughly 500-600 shaves worth of the local craft soaps (2.1/2 tins), 500 shaves worth of Mitchell's (one puck), some creams (a tube of Erasmic, and bits of samples), and about 2000 shaves worth of Palmolive sticks :lol: Mitchell's and Palmolive are the only two I plan on replacing as time goes on.

Tiring fast of the GSB blade I'm using. It's still working, but is less enjoyable than several other brands. I'll probably alternate between one of the favourites, and one of the "everything else", until I just get down to the faves left. I've got about 40 loose blades in the small tub, and a few tucks or part tucks in the main blade box, so by the time I get round to opening the Mitchell's (still my favourite soap), I'll probably be down to my favourite blade brands.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In other news, the brush seems to have stopped shedding for now. I gave it a good shampoo with Vosene, and it's been behaving a lot better.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shaved as usual today, and while doing the customary post shave checks in the mirror, I realised the goatee needed some work. I dug out the comb and beard trimmer, and tidied things up a bit, but still wasn't happy. The beard seemed a little too wide, as if I hadn't been shaving to the same width, and it had crept outwards slowly over successive shaves.

A few months ago, I had tried growing the 'tache wider, and had tried leaving a little extra area unshaven at the ends for it to spread into - but that hadn't worked, and I went back to my natural 'tache size. This time, I decided to try narrowing the goatee further than usual instead.

I refilled the shaving mug with water - just the mug, not the whole sink - and lathered up the brush again. I also swapped the blade over to the head of the Merkur 985, but put the Jagger handle on it. Now for the tricky part. As the 'tache is quite long, I had to gather it all up and tuck it inside my lips to keep it out of the way, then lather back up and get the shave done, before I got the 'tache too soaked in spittle. I took it down to pretty much my mouth width, so the 'tache is noticeable wider than the beard now. I'll give it till tomorrow before deciding if I like it or not, or whether any more tweaks need doing. I've learnt from the past that changes like that need time to settle, both on the face and in the mind. I think it's an improvement, but might need a little more refining. Thankfully, it's an easy fix if I decide it was a mistake - just shave a little wider for a week or two

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I also used a little of the L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Soothing Birch Sap Balm after the shave, which I haven't used for a while. It seems my face has finally realised there's a little menthol in it, and decided to throw a tantrum, so this won't be used again. That'll teach me not to buy stuff online without checking the ingredients list. Back to the Nivea Sensitive balm from here on.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been having a few days by the coast, and so have been away from my usual kit, shaving with my even more minimalist than normal array.

IMG_20190925_205836.jpg

As well as the Merkur 985 and blade tuck with used blades slot I tend to use for travel, I also had a slice of Palmolive shave stick, a synthetic brush, and a small tache comb.

This, for me, is a tried and tested travel kit, and has given me many great shaves when away from home.

But not today.

There was no failing of the kit, or significant failing of the operator. The only reason that it failed to give me a great shave, is that I used something else instead. Quite unplanned, I spotted something in the window of an antique shop I was walking past yesterday.

Quite unlike me, I bought something I didn't specifically need.

I'm also not entirely sure what kind of razor I've ended up with.

IMG_20190925_205643.jpg

IMG_20190925_205428.jpg

The case is in great condition, and the contents appear to be in reasonable nick too, although a bit of a clean and polish wouldn't go amiss, as there is a little bit of tarnishing. Some items specify being made in Sheffield, while some others just specify being in England. Certainly worth the £10 I handed over for the set, in my opinion.

The Gillette razor only specifies being made in England, and has no date codes to advise when. Would I be right in assuming this is some form of Tech? The handle for it is aluminium.

IMG_20190925_205538.jpg

IMG_20190925_205609.jpg

I gave the razor a clean with some alcohol hand gel, followed by soap and water, then took it for a test drive. It certainly needs driving differently to my regular razors, in as it needs an angle that would be way too shallow with the usual kit.

Not my greatest shave ever, but quite respectable for my first use of a razor.

I've been having a few days by the coast, and so have been away from my usual kit, shaving with my even more minimalist than normal array.

View attachment 1019962

As well as the Merkur 985 and blade tuck with used blades slot I tend to use for travel, I also had a slice of Palmolive shave stick, a synthetic brush, and a small tache comb.

This, for me, is a tried and tested travel kit, and has given me many great shaves when away from home.

But not today.

There was no failing of the kit, or significant failing of the operator. The only reason that it failed to give me a great shave, is that I used something else instead. Quite unplanned, I spotted something in the window of an antique shop I was walking past yesterday.

Quite unlike me, I bought something I didn't specifically need.

I'm also not entirely sure what kind of razor I've ended up with.

View attachment 1019964

View attachment 1019965

The case is in great condition, and the contents appear to be in reasonable nick too, although a bit of a clean and polish wouldn't go amiss, as there is a little bit of tarnishing. Some items specify being made in Sheffield, while some others just specify being in England. Certainly worth the £10 I handed over for the set, in my opinion.

The Gillette razor only specifies being made in England, and has no date codes to advise when. Would I be right in assuming this is some form of Tech? The handle for it is aluminium.

View attachment 1019966

View attachment 1019967

I gave the razor a clean with some alcohol hand gel, followed by soap and water, then took it for a test drive. It certainly needs driving differently to my regular razors, in as it needs an angle that would be way too shallow with the usual kit.

Not my greatest shave ever, but quite respectable for my first use of a razor.
Yes, looks like a post war tech. Quite mild mannered from what I hear. I only went as mild as the pre war tech personally.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks Joel. I'm pretty clueless with the vintage stuff. Once I'd figured out the angle of dangle, I got a reasonably close shave with it, and expect that to improve with a little more familiarity.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, Joel got it right. Its a British made post war Tech. The handles are aluminum and the cap on yours may be Zamak. @jmudrick might know if it is or not.

The British Gillettes, in my experience, have been slightly more efficient than their American made counterparts. Short of critical measurements, the Brit made Tech vs the US made Tech in the thread below appears to have slightly more blade exposure and slightly more blade gap.

British vs USA Made Razors (PIC HEAVY)

I found that more pronounced using my fathers made in England Flare Tip Rocket, circa 1957, in comparison to my D2 (1958) Gillette SS. There is a fairly obvious difference in feel between the two. It was less pronounced using the two Techs.

If you happen to come across a made in England TTO Gillette Al, buy it. You wont regret it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yep, Joel got it right. Its a British made post war Tech. The handles are aluminum and the cap on yours may be Zamak. @jmudrick might know if it is or not.

Thanks Mike. I haven't take the razor back out since I got home, but I'll have a closer look when everything is unpacked.

The British Gillettes, in my experience, have been slightly more efficient than their American made counterparts. Short of critical measurements, the Brit made Tech vs the US made Tech in the thread below appears to have slightly more blade exposure and slightly more blade gap.

I found that more pronounced using my fathers made in England Flare Tip Rocket, circa 1957, in comparison to my D2 (1958) Gillette SS. There is a fairly obvious difference in feel between the two. It was less pronounced using the two Techs.

All that's a little beyond me, as although I've nearly three decades experience with DE, it's all been with a very limited range of kit. All I know for sure, is I can get the same results with most anything, I just don't like having to recalibrate everything every time I swap razor.

I mainly got this for the kit, and the fact I can take a couple of blades safely, without taking a whole tuck. Time will tell if I stop with this tech in the kit, or if I swap it for the Merkur

If you happen to come across a made in England TTO Gillette Al, buy it. You wont regret it.

I already have, Mike. My birth quarter Super Slim Twist. It's OK, but I still prefer my regular Jagger DE3D14

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

One thing that I didn't notice in your linked thread until today, was the blade alignment bar. One of the two you shared pics of, has a full length bar, while the other has two shorter bars. Mine has none! Blade alignment relies completely on the four little lugs that nestles either side of the blade tabs, though when rotating the razor, both sides do feel the same.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Side by side test shave today.

IMG_20190928_213537_edit.jpg

IMG_20190928_213559_edit_edit.jpg

Whatever Gillette Tech this happens to be vs Merkur 985

As I'm now back home, I lathered up using the locally made "disappearing lather" craft soap that is currently served up in my bathroom, and fitted both razors with a fresh SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium blade. The Tech started out on the right hand side of the sink, and the 985 on the left.

I started with the Tech, taking time to find the sweet spot on the angle, and slowly went "with the grain" (North to South above the jaw, and South to North above). No drama. A very smooth pass.

I then switched to the 985 for the "with the grain" (North to South throughout) pass on the other side. Thankfully, using the Tech first had thrown me off my usual bias, and I had to find the angle again, which means familiarity wouldn't bias the test. There was noticably more blade feel with this razor, and as such I wasn't surprised to find the result of the 985 felt a wee bit smoother after the first pass.

I decided to swap sides for the second pass. Again, both sides were shaved vertically, but in the opposing direction to the first pass. Again, more blade feel from the 985 an a slightly closer finish, so no grain bias on either side was throwing the results.

The final pass for me, is always right ear to left ear. I don't know how that relates to folks who use the compass points, as I'm not sure everyone takes the same perspective of looking at the mirror as the compass (E to W in my case), or the face being the compass (W to E for me). I kept the razors on the same side as the second pass, but then swapped over, and retraced the shave using the other razor, and only residual slickness. The Tech did pick up a few strays, but the 985 had noticably more feedback.

Aside from this, the 985 has a little more reassuring heft to it, and has significantly better traction on the grip, although they both seem to be similarly balanced, quite near the head.

So the Tech didn't "win" on anything, but the shave is good enough for most occasions. I wouldn't have planned on parting with the 985 anyway, as it's my only open comb, which is great for shifting heavy growth (on the Jagger handle) and reprofiling the goatee if it's got a little wayward. However, I haven't decided if it should replace the Tech in the recently acquired set, or should stay in its own little pouch, which is great for overnighting when I might not be packing a bag, but just dropping essentials in a jacket pocket instead.

This leaves the future of this Tech uncertain.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One thing that I didn't notice in your linked thread until today, was the blade alignment bar. One of the two you shared pics of, has a full length bar, while the other has two shorter bars. Mine has none!

I'm not sure when those differences were implemented Al but I was aware of them. Yours is the first I've seen that doesnt have alignment bars, that I remember.

With such little blade exposure, I dont find Techs efficient either. It takes me five passes to get the closeness I want from one but if anything, they are smooth.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not sure when those differences were implemented Al but I was aware of them. Yours is the first I've seen that doesnt have alignment bars, that I remember.

With such little blade exposure, I dont find Techs efficient either. It takes me five passes to get the closeness I want from one but if anything, they are smooth.

I'd agree with that. If it wasn't for the fumble factor from low traction, I'd consider it a hangover/brain fog/heavy cold proof razor, safe to use when the brain is only firing on a couple of cylinders.

Actually, no I wouldn't. The approach angle is too different from my usual razors, and I'd end up with Braille face from plucked hairs.

I'm starting to think this purchase was a bit of a gaffe.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well, you're not out much anyway Al.

A friend just left. When he got here he went to hand me this but then dropped it on my garage floor and cracked the case lol.

IMG_3140.JPG

It's an I3 date code, 3rd quarter of 1963, Gillette Slim with the original blades. It needs a good cleaning. Shame about the crack in the lid.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, you're not out much anyway Al.

A friend just left. When he got here he went to hand me this but then dropped it on my garage floor and cracked the case lol.

View attachment 1021168

It's an I3 date code, 3rd quarter of 1963, Gillette Slim with the original blades. It needs a good cleaning. Shame about the crack in the lid.

As someone with a balance disorder, I can confirm that gravity is a b1tch sometimes :) Nice acquisition all the same, Mike.

Yeah, I'm not out much, and it gives me something to pass on to a potential newcomer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

:D

To stray from minimalism, is to stray from happiness for me, Jim. Well, in terms of shaving anyway.

I don't mind the presence of my few occasional use curios, but I find simplicity of the regular use items preferable. Jagger for home, Merkur for short stay, and WSC for longer stay. That'll do for me. I do still like having the straights, shavette, hollow ground SEs, and birth quarter TTO kicking around for novelty shaves though.

Top Bottom