What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I hope to hone through an SR before I'm done shaving, but I think I'd have to get awfully bad at honing to have any chance at that!

I feel the same way about my pocket knives, but I have so many that I don't carry any one of them enough to wear it out. I've gradually got the total down to about 50 over the last few years, but even the most carried only get maybe a month's worth of carry a year.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another blissful shave. #3 on a Wilkinson Sword Classic, and #18 on MdC. Just one or two shaves left on the sample now. Worth £3 for a trial sample, but not worth £45 for a tub. Both the PdP and Haslinger samples lasted longer, and at significantly less cost. Haslinger was the best of these three, but still not up to the post shave feel of Mitchell's.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave #4 on the WSC blade, and #19 on the Martin de Candre, and that's the end of that soap sample. Undecided what to move onto next. As I've just finished what is supposedly a superior soap, I might go straight back to one of the craft soaps, and see if I still enjoy it, or if it's now a bit disappointing after having used the MdC for almost 20 shaves.

Another great shave from the blade, but that's no surprise. It's just starting to settle in nicely.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave #5 on the WSC blade, and first shave back on the Bundle & Rust Goats Milk, one of the infamous "disappearing" lather shave soaps. Going straight to it after nearly 20 shaves with MdC made me chuckle a little. I could see instantly why people say these soaps are dreadful, and don't qualify as shave soaps. None of the rich of a premium soap, just a bubbly mass of suds that collapses down to a film on the face.

Great shave!

Very slick, zero protection, just how I like it. Not a patch on what the samples were in terms of a luxurious shave, but a great shave all the same. Close, no irritation, and skin felt just fine afterwards.

This soap, is NOT for everyone. Most B&Bers would be sorely disappointed, and incredibly frustrated in trying to achieve a type of lather that it just can't give. Putting aside the prejudices of what it "should" do though, and just working with what it actually does instead, I got a shave I'm perfectly happy with.

I'll portion some of this out into the ramekin, and work through that before breaking open the next sample. No counting, just shaving, and trying to use up some of the excess I've accumulated.

Shave #5 on the WSC blade, and first shave back on the Bundle & Rust Goats Milk, one of the infamous "disappearing" lather shave soaps. Going straight to it after nearly 20 shaves with MdC made me chuckle a little. I could see instantly why people say these soaps are dreadful, and don't qualify as shave soaps. None of the rich of a premium soap, just a bubbly mass of suds that collapses down to a film on the face.

Great shave!

Very slick, zero protection, just how I like it. Not a patch on what the samples were in terms of a luxurious shave, but a great shave all the same. Close, no irritation, and skin felt just fine afterwards.

This soap, is NOT for everyone. Most B&Bers would be sorely disappointed, and incredibly frustrated in trying to achieve a type of lather that it just can't give. Putting aside the prejudices of what it "should" do though, and just working with what it actually does instead, I got a shave I'm perfectly happy with.

I'll portion some of this out into the ramekin, and work through that before breaking open the next sample. No counting, just shaving, and trying to use up some of the excess I've accumulated.

Yeah. I wouldn't like it. I would get a fine shave with it though, and comment that it is slick, and if that is what you like, you might like it. If I were going for that though, I would probably just use Cremo or shave butter and skip the brush. I make my lather real thin, but not that thin. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yeah. I wouldn't like it. I would get a fine shave with it though, and comment that it is slick, and if that is what you like, you might like it. If I were going for that though, I would probably just use Cremo or shave butter and skip the brush. I make my lather real thin, but not that thin. :)

Yeah, it's certainly not for everyone, Clay. It does suit my style of shaving though.

The premium soaps, and their "protactive" lather, felt like I needed to use pressure sometimes. I don't feel that with this. On a few of the MdC shaves, I had to go over certain areas again using just the residual slickness, as the lather itself was being an obstacle to closeness with a pressureless shave.

Another think I noticed, is that the brush felt better after I'd done. I think this lather did a good job clearing out the residual build up deep in the knot. The last few shaves with the MdC, the brush wasn't "working" as well as I know it can. Not as bad as when it gummed up completely with the PdP, but there was obviously some kind of build up in there. This cheapo craft soap has cleared all that out.

I'm kind of feeling disillusioned with the whole premium soap thing at the minute. It seems like more money for more problems, just for a luxurious lather that you need to use pressure to shave through. Whereas a cheap soap that doesn't give a luxurious lather, gives me a great shave, without having to use pressure, and without gumming up the brush or emptying my wallet.

I don't go into the bathroom for a lather, I go in for a shave. The lather is just a means to an end, and is supposed to enable it, not hamper it, or try to be centre of attention. My awareness should be on the blade on my face, not the scent. All that work the lather till it's all honogenous, than add a little more water, and work it all over again, isn't needed with Mitchell's, Palmolive or the collapsing lather craft soaps. Quick load, work it into the bristles, and shave. Done!

For me a meal isn't all about the starter and dessert, its about the main course. A shave is the same. Quick prep and lather up, and then the shaving is the main feature, the part I went in there to do, the part I want my attention focussed on. I might top off with a little balm, lotion of EdT, or I might feel satisfied enough and not need it.

I'm actually looking forward to a good run of shaves with this craft soap again. The Phoenix and Beau, and the Wickhams can wait. I'm bored of prima donna lathers. I just want to go in there and shave. Today, I could do that, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave #7 on the WSC blade, and third shave since dropping back from MdC to the craft soap.

This soap is certainly not the luxurious experience of MdC, and as I've mentioned before, I can't get a decent straight shave with this stuff. However, for DE shaving it's perfectly fine for me. I'm getting no irritation or other problems from using a "lesser" soap, and am getting good closeness with no pressure, and without having to fight the lather like I sometimes felt I was doing with the "good stuff".

The post shave feel is perfectly fine too, and I'm not noticing any adverse changes in skin condition. It's just gone back to being a no-frills shave, and I'm OK with that.

The only thing I do regret, is not being able to get a straight shave with the MdC sample. I never felt my health was at a high enough level to wield a straight during that period. There'll be other sample in future though, be it from the same maker or others, and I've plenty of Palmolive on standby should I feel up for a straight shave between samples.

Looks like I'll be continuing to be a long term money saver in traditional shaving :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sticking to a plan I mentioned a while ago, I scooped some of the Sheeps Milk craft soap out of its tub, and moulded it into the ramekin today. This will minimise the water exposure to the overall soap, and hopefully mean less chance of it spoiling. I'll use that portion up before opening up either of the other two samples.

IMG_20190410_191012_edit.jpg

Today though, while the experience of the other two samples were still fresh in my mind, I used the grated Palmolive stick that's moulded into the wooden bowl I briefly used as a lather bowl. Brilliant soap, no challenges of any kind. Great shave! Even ignoring the cost aspect, I'd rather use this than either PdP or MdC. I'd still rate the Schafmilch and Mitchell's higher though.

Both the ramekin and wooden Palmolive bowl will live in the bathroom, and I'll stash the rest of the Bundle and Rust Sheeps Milk back on the drawer. Sheeps milk for the bulk of the DE shaves, but the Palmolive on hand should I fancy a shave, or be up for a straight/shavette shave.

Shave #8 on the WSC blade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 13 on the Wilkinson blade, and here's where the difference between the maligned craft soaps and the revered luxury soaps starts making a difference, once the blade starts to become a little worn. Today's shave was a little scratchy, and I couldn't help think that one of the richer soaps wouldn't have let the shave feel quite so scratchy. The blade was probably ready for flipping anyway, but one of the samples would maybe have added a little more comfort. That said, I've enjoyed the shaves with this soap up to this point.

Blade flipped, and we'll see what tomorrow's shave is like. Today's was nothing a spot of balm couldn't put right, so no major hardship. It's not like I'm short of blades should tomorrow's shave not be back to smooth :D

I'll be sticking with the craft soap till this serving is done, which will probably be another month or so. If I get slightly shorter blade life while using it, so be it. The difference is a fraction of a penny. I'm still not at risk of becoming one of B&B's soap fetishists :lol:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic shave #16.

Blade is still smooth, but I caught myself using a little pressure today. Probably a sign the blade is struggling. I do sometimes still fall into the trap of applying a little pressure as blades fade, although sometimes it's just sloppiness and complacency on my part, and not being as mindful as I should.

Time to inspect the blade.

Minimal reflection on the light bounce test, but there was a fair bit of soap scum build up. Gave the blade a quick clean, and put it back in. Should be good for a few more.

Minimal reflection on the light bounce test, but there was a fair bit of soap scum build up. Gave the blade a quick clean, and put it back in. Should be good for a few more.
I've always cleaned and dried my razor and blade every shave. Before my long Polsilver SI run I started flipping the blade each shave (as per Anthony's @rabidus advice). I'm sure I'd never have got into Excalibur numbers without doing that (but of course I can't prove it scientifically). :001_smile

Wilkinson Sword Classic shave #16.

Blade is still smooth, but I caught myself using a little pressure today. Probably a sign the blade is struggling. I do sometimes still fall into the trap of applying a little pressure as blades fade, although sometimes it's just sloppiness and complacency on my part, and not being as mindful as I should.

Time to inspect the blade.

it seems self explanatory, but could you explain what the "light bounce test" is?

it seems self explanatory, but could you explain what the "light bounce test" is?
Check around 2.17 of this video. Notice the brightness of the burr. You can notice similar bright spots on blades with damage.

You don't need that level of magnification though.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've always cleaned and dried my razor and blade every shave. Before my long Polsilver SI run I started flipping the blade each shave (as per Anthony's @rabidus advice). I'm sure I'd never have got into Excalibur numbers without doing that (but of course I can't prove it scientifically). :001_smile

I wouldn't be surprised, Cal. I do flip the blade periodically, and both that, and cleaning off any build up, do seem to refresh a blade somewhat. However, I'm not sure if the thread on my zamac razor would still be in the same condition, if I had disassembled and reassembled the razor every shave. Again, no scientific evidence to offer. ;)

I have actually considered doing it, just for one blade, but I suspect I'd find it too tedious to persevere with. I think I'd also need to be more willing to shave with a little pressure as time goes by. I know I used to get much longer blade life in the past, but that could have been a combination of a lighter beard, using a heavier hand, and also the necessity of having to make blades last longer when I had forgotten, or not had the time, to physically go shopping around for some.

Since the ease of shopping online, and the cost reductions that come with it, I've been quite satisfied to only get a couple of week's use from a blade. I'm sure I could make some of them last longer, the ones that don't chip out. Maybe with the increased maintenance they'd be less likely to chip at all. I know I'd quickly grow weary of stripping, cleaning, and flipping the razor and blade every shave though. I also don't want to be handling the blade any more than necessary for health reasons (impaired vision, balance, and concentration).

I'll stick to my lazy quick swish and ditch :D Even at 14 shaves a blade, I don't think I'll be worried about running out of blades anytime soon ... if ever :p

IMG_20190331_174713.jpg

I don't even expect to need to open one of those spare tucks until well into next year... there's still 40+ orphaned blades in the tub...

IMG_20190331_175849.jpg

(old pic, so I have used a few since then)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

As Clay's video shows, light reflecting off the edge (I use a bright torch/flashlight) will show up as bright spots if the edge has distortions, flat spots, or chips. There might be some pics I've captured (badly, probably :p ) earlier in this thread. Rotating the blade through the beam of light from a torch or other directional light, will often pick up a tell tale glint. I give the blade a quick wipe in that area, and check again, just to be sure it's not a tiny bit of soap or other debris. If there's only one or two minor spots, I might give that edge a light strop, in case the edge has just curled slightl, and reinspect it.

Some blades have gone into their 30s without noticable damage, but some look quite chavelled after barely 10 shaves. I've had a couple of blades have flat spots from new, and occasionally I've even noticed a glint on the edge in ambient daylight, without removing the blade from the razor, which has prompted me to do a proper check.

It's a very useful way of not just checking for wear, but also checking for damage, if you happen to catch the razor on something, or drop it in the sink, to see if you've fouled the edge.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 18 on the Wilkinson.

This shave soap goes fast. After moulding a big chunk of it into the ramekin as shown here...

Sticking to a plan I mentioned a while ago, I scooped some of the Sheeps Milk craft soap out of its tub, and moulded it into the ramekin today. This will minimise the water exposure to the overall soap, and hopefully mean less chance of it spoiling. I'll use that portion up before opening up either of the other two samples.

View attachment 971081

Today though, while the experience of the other two samples were still fresh in my mind, I used the grated Palmolive stick that's moulded into the wooden bowl I briefly used as a lather bowl. Brilliant soap, no challenges of any kind. Great shave! Even ignoring the cost aspect, I'd rather use this than either PdP or MdC. I'd still rate the Schafmilch and Mitchell's higher though.

Both the ramekin and wooden Palmolive bowl will live in the bathroom, and I'll stash the rest of the Bundle and Rust Sheeps Milk back on the drawer. Sheeps milk for the bulk of the DE shaves, but the Palmolive on hand should I fancy a shave, or be up for a straight/shavette shave.

Shave #8 on the WSC blade.

... just 10 days ago, the centre of it has already broken through.

In other soap news, there's been more talk on the forum recently of Palmolive sticks being discontinued, but when I went into Wilko earlier today, there was plenty on the shelf. On the off-chance there's a glimmer of truth to it, I splashed out the grand total of £2 for four more sticks. Sometimes I can be so reckless and impulsive...

It's probably another Polsilver style fiasco, as there's rumours of them deing disco'ed since 2015 on the next, and four years later you can still find them on the shelf. Only difference with these, is they're not trying to lever up the price with it, and they're still just over 1% of the cost of MdC :D

Shave 18 on the Wilkinson.

This shave soap goes fast. After moulding a big chunk of it into the ramekin as shown here...

... just 10 days ago, the centre of it has already broken through.

In other soap news, there's been more talk on the forum recently of Palmolive sticks being discontinued, but when I went into Wilko earlier today, there was plenty on the shelf. On the off-chance there's a glimmer of truth to it, I splashed out the grand total of £2 for four more sticks. Sometimes I can be so reckless and impulsive...

It's probably another Polsilver style fiasco, as there's rumours of them deing disco'ed since 2015 on the next, and four years later you can still find them on the shelf. Only difference with these, is they're not trying to lever up the price with it, and they're still just over 1% of the cost of MdC :D

Really raining money there sport. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom