What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 954082

Box. I purchase it at Sally's Beauty Supply or similar places. It mixes with water. I make up a gallon in a large pail I bought for a dollar at the auto parts store. Soak my brushes occasionally, or when they need it, and when I buy one used (which is not usual for me).

It's make for cleaning brushes and does a great job.

Of course I rinse it out very very well and then let the brushes (or brush) dry very well.

Somewhere there's a thread (I started?) about deeply cleaning used brushes with this and with Barbicide, but usually I use just this. I use only Ship-Shape with my own brushes which merely need a good washing because they're misbehaving.

Yes, occasionally a brush will get wonky and respond nicely to Ship-Shape. Why? Beats me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for that Jim. I can't find anything like that over here, but it appears that baking soda is a viable alternative

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lathered with the synth today, and no issues whatsoever. So it's looking like the base of the boar knot is indeed gunked up. I'll dig out the baking soda, and give it a soak

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I were a brush, I'd toe the line. I saw what you did to that Thater :a13:

Glad it final was resolved to your satisfaction.

That made me laugh out loud, Clay.

Yeah, I did try Ship-Shape on the Thater but it failed to help.

I guess I thought I could beat it into shape?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:hand: I wouldn't be too sure about that, Clay.

2-12-19.Torrey.Thater.480.JPG

It is soft and it not too very floppy. Also, it's all in one piece.

Do I like it? Not much, but way more than I ever liked the Thater Premium Boar.

Better brushes?

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg MS.30mm.Silver.New.Old.3-18.640.JPG Gentile.Yaqi2Band.640.7-26-18.JPG
StirlingIvory.Bloomed.Feb.2018.jpg StirlingFan.Bloomed.Feb.2018.640.jpg

Of course, those are just better badgers, and it's only my point of view.

I am not saying the Thater Two Band is not a nice brush, but it's not so far a favorite. I think it might be a better brush for a bowl latherer. It is remarkably soft, too, which is a noteworthy plus for it. Plus, it's nice looking and has a handle I like.

I want to make sure I don't bad mouth this Thater. It seems like a quality brush. Maybe I'll come to like it more as I get more used to it. I certainly haven't ruled it out as a brush I'll use.

I get your point though, Cal, and you're right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

W
View attachment 954169

It is soft and it not too very floppy. Also, it's all in one piece.

Do I like it? Not much, but way more than I ever liked the Thater Premium Boar.

Better brushes?

View attachment 954170 View attachment 954171 View attachment 954172
View attachment 954173 View attachment 954175

Of course, those are just better badgers, and it's only my point of view.

I am not saying the Thater Two Band is not a nice brush, but it's not so far a favorite. I think it might be a better brush for a bowl latherer. It is remarkably soft, too, which is a noteworthy plus for it. Plus, it's nice looking and has a handle I like.

I want to make sure I don't bad mouth this Thater. It seems like a quality brush. Maybe I'll come to like it more as I get more used to it. I certainly haven't ruled it out as a brush I'll use.

I get your point though, Cal, and you're right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well at one point you said you'd be happy just getting the handle back :)
viola!

If nothing else you can use it like I use my badger, to lather stuff I'm scared might harm my well liked brushes, put Noxzema on, etc. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Done!

A thorough soak and bristle work out in a baking soda solution, followed by a good rinse in a weak apple cider vinegar solution, and then another rinse with clean water. It does feel a lot better, and looks a lot better too. I kept working the brush occasionally as it was soaking, and even with my dodgy vision, I could see a change in colour of both the knot and the water.

I'll probably carry on using the synthetic for a day or two to let this thoroughly air out, before I take it for another spin.

That's a nifty little gizmo, Cal. Do you find it making a difference at all?
Yes. All my brushes like to be groomed, and they perform better for it.

I have (and prefer) the small size comb. But then I have and prefer small brushes. I got mine here (I think). They're currently out of the small size but have medium and large.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It does but they're way, way too expensive for a true minimalist.

Link.

I see no mediums in stock. They're the best size IMO.

Yes. All my brushes like to be groomed, and they perform better for it.

I have (and prefer) the small size comb. But then I have and prefer small brushes. I got mine here (I think). They're currently out of the small size but have medium and large.

Thanks, chaps. You can tell I'm not a pet owner, I never made the connection to an animal comb for an animal hair brush :lol:

With my boars, I've never noticed any detangling need doing. Once I've given it a swipe or three on the towel, it dries a lot more "groomed" looking, than is I just shake the water out and let it dry on the stan

Then again, I didn't notice the build up of soap till it stopped working properly either...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, chaps. You can tell I'm not a pet owner, I never made the connection to an animal comb for an animal hair brush :lol:

With my boars, I've never noticed any detangling need doing. Once I've given it a swipe or three on the towel, it dries a lot more "groomed" looking, than is I just shake the water out and let it dry on the stan

Then again, I didn't notice the build up of soap till it stopped working properly either...

Take a swig, sir.

OCD Enhancer.png

No, sir, a big swig, sir.

Top Bottom