What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave #7 today on the PdP.

I need to try the synthetic brush with this soap, as it doesn't want to be friends with the boar anymore.

For the last three shaves, the lather has been acting very strangely. At first I thought it was the brush, but in hindsight it's since the sample dried out a lot more. The first pass lather goes on just fine, the second pass lather not behaving quite as well, and come the third pass, there's a heavy soap mix trapped in the base of the knot, and nothing left at the tips. I think it's just a compatibility thing.

I'll try the PdP with the Hi-Brush for the next shave or two, and see how that behaves in comparison. I f that behaves, I'll go to a different soap for a shave to two, just to make sure nothings changed with the brush. It's possible it might have got some kind of build up at the base, and needs a shampoo or something.

Aside from that, all's well. I did catch a whiff of the scent on the last couple of shaves, but it doesn't stick with me through the whole shave, and I seem to be able to tune it out of my awareness pretty quickly.

You probably know PdP is a triple milled soap and that makes it pretty hard. My guess is your right, when you first used the soap it was still soft from the soaking you gave it.
Now it's dried out you need to swirl your brush around more to unlock it.

When I received Cal's tub of 63 it caught me out. Didn't have enough loaded for a 3 pass shave the first time I used it.
Now I know to swirl my brush around for a little longer in the puck before lathering.
And that's with me using synthetic brushes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You probably know PdP is a triple milled soap and that makes it pretty hard.

I read it was quad milled, but I dont know for sure. Mine was as hard as a brick when I got it, but its softened up quite a bit so far.

I read it was quad milled, but I dont know for sure. Mine was as hard as a brick when I got it, but its softened up quite a bit so far.

Looks like your right about that.
Had a look around and Amazon are advertising it as quad milled.
That explains why it's so damn hard.
I think SV and Haslinger's are triple milled, that may be where I'm getting confused.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think SV and Haslinger's are triple milled, that may be where I'm getting confused.

As far as I know PdP is the only quad milled soap but I suspect thats not accurate.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Only quad milled shave soap. And they make most of the quad milled bath soap as well. Wouldn't surprise me if the others are actually re-brands.

At least mass marketed.

It wouldnt surprise me either. Whatever they're doing, they do it well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You probably know PdP is a triple milled soap and that makes it pretty hard. My guess is your right, when you first used the soap it was still soft from the soaking you gave it.
Now it's dried out you need to swirl your brush around more to unlock it.

When I received Cal's tub of 63 it caught me out. Didn't have enough loaded for a 3 pass shave the first time I used it.
Now I know to swirl my brush around for a little longer in the puck before lathering.
And that's with me using synthetic brushes.

Loading the brush, isn't the same problem. It loads just fine. What seems to be happening though, is almost a separation, with thick rich soap getting locked into the base of the knot, and then wetter lather at the tips, which doesn't last the full shave. There is soap there, but it's locked in deep.

Maybe it's just a quirk of the soap, and I do indeed need to be loading more, but the lather on the first pass is excellent, and I wouldn't want that any richer than it already is.

Loading the brush, isn't the same problem. It loads just fine. What seems to be happening though, is almost a separation, with thick rich soap getting locked into the base of the knot, and then wetter lather at the tips, which doesn't last the full shave. There is soap there, but it's locked in deep.

Maybe it's just a quirk of the soap, and I do indeed need to be loading more, but the lather on the first pass is excellent, and I wouldn't want that any richer than it already is.

Very, very weird Al.

Sounds like your brush is sucking up the soap, all the way to the knot.
I'm sure there is a use for a brush like that somewhere, but just can't think of where right now. :001_tongu

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very, very weird Al.

Sounds like your brush is sucking up the soap, all the way to the knot.
I'm sure there is a use for a brush like that somewhere, but just can't think of where right now. :001_tongu

:D

Yes, that's what it seems like. If I squeeze my fingers around the base of the knot, and pull the brush through my hand, I easily get enough out for the third pass, but it ain't coming out on its own.

It's not happened to me with other soaps with that brush, but that's the fun of samples I suppose. Everything new takes a little time to understand :)

It might be that I'm just not using enough, or it might end up being that I get the best results loading lightly and then reloading lightly again for each pass. There's no rules to say we need to do it all right from the start. I'll figure it out in time :thumbsup:

Amazon UK? I can't see their shaving soap there...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not heard of that, Jim. What kind of product is it?

Ship-Shape.jpeg

Box. I purchase it at Sally's Beauty Supply or similar places. It mixes with water. I make up a gallon in a large pail I bought for a dollar at the auto parts store. Soak my brushes occasionally, or when they need it, and when I buy one used (which is not usual for me).

It's make for cleaning brushes and does a great job.

Of course I rinse it out very very well and then let the brushes (or brush) dry very well.

Somewhere there's a thread (I started?) about deeply cleaning used brushes with this and with Barbicide, but usually I use just this. I use only Ship-Shape with my own brushes which merely need a good washing because they're misbehaving.

Yes, occasionally a brush will get wonky and respond nicely to Ship-Shape. Why? Beats me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom