What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh, I'm sure I can be persuaded to try some... just not yet ;) I'm sure I can rely on your two to keep them in business while I use up some of the excess here :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave #7 on the Indian Wilkinson today, and starting to drag a little in a couple of places. The lower fringe of the beard where the growth isn't full strength was getting plucked by the feel of it. Back when blades were harder for me to get hold of, I'd have persevered with this a lot longer, but not with the current stockpile of blades.

I'll switch back to the Jagger on the next shave, and see if that gives a little more bite. I might get an extra shave or two, before moving onto the next trial blade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just weighed my soap tin to see how much is left to use, before moving onto the next, and it's weighing in at 37g. The full tin that I haven't started yet, is weighing in at 117g for 100g of soap, so it seems I've still got 20g to work through. I've probably missed about 6 weeks of shaves in the 190ish days since starting this soap, either due to health, or using other soaps, so at around 150 shaves for the 80g used, it looks like this one might see me through into 2019.

So my earlier guess of 200 shaves for these soaps, wasn't too far over, and confirms the four soaps in the drawer (not counting shave sticks) are good for over 1000 shaves. If the maths looks wrong, that's because one of the soaps is Mitchell's, which gives me about 500. I'm going to hope the other rice bran oil/olive oil soap keeps a while longer, and move onto one of the goats milk soaps (coconut oil and sunflower oil base) that I got for my birthday next.

I'm not sure if all three of the craft soaps I've got will survive the queue to be used, which is looking like being towards the end of 2020. That's without having a dabble with soap and cream samples along the way. So long as I use each in turn, rather than swapping between them all, I reckon they should have a fighting chance.

It really is surprising how long soaps last. It also surprises me that the folks who like swapping and changing all the time, even bother buying full pucks. Sticking with samples, I can understand. Not the most cost effective way of shaving, but certainly less risk of stuff spoiling before it gets used up. I've got three years shaves here with 4 soaps, and some folks have 50+. After 10 years (maybe less) are any of those really going to be on the same level of scent or performance that a new one would...?

I've got a friend who's just tossed out a 500ml bottle of Trumpers aftershave that turned sour, and that's one of just two or three aftershaves he had in his bathroom, and some folks have dozens of those too. I really don't understand the high levels of software that some folks keep. Even blades are known to lose their sharpness in storage.

This is why I keep looking at my "stash" and thinking it's gone crazy, even though I only have a small fraction of what some others have. I really hate the idea of hurling stuff in the garbage in a few years, purely because I bought it far sooner than I needed to. Why is this not a bigger concern for more shavers?

Why is this not a bigger concern for more shavers?
Because there are one or two enablers around here - not pointing any fingers at Mike - who make it sound like your missing out on something life changing. :001_tt2:

Actually, it's something that happens when you turn a mundane daily routine thing into a hobby.
And then join in forums to discuss said hobby. Next thing you know, there's a game of one-upmanship going on and there's always someone who must have every new thing that comes out.

It happens with every hobby.
Even although you can spend a small fortune on shaving, it's miniscule compared to some hobbies.

So Al, life is too short to worry about the amount of soaps that Jim has stashed away.
It's just the norm around here. :ciappa:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
:lol:

Yeah, probably just me being slow on the uptake with group-think as usual, and letting rational thought get in the way of buying crap I don't need :p

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Because there are one or two enablers around here - not pointing any fingers at Mike - who make it sound like your missing out on something life changing. :001_tt2:

Well, if its life changing for one, it will be for everyone else too, right? That is the way this works isnt it? lol

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Indian Wilkinson blade cut better in the Jagger today, but is noticeably fading, so I'm going to let this one go at 8 shaves.

What was nice though, was doing a partial rinse, then carrying out all the touch up on residual slickness only. Yes, this was with the oil + clay craft type soap that everyone seems to loathe.

Next up (lucky dip from the bag) is...

A white label that I can't quite see through...

Oh, it's a Gillette Rubie. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike just murdered YMMV!:scared: How does that work? :001_unsur :001_huh: :letterk1: :laugh:

Well, if someone can get a tug free, comfortable BBS shave with a Derby Extra in an R41 so can everyone else. There is no need, whatsoever, for 'rigidity' of a blade and rabidus and myself are just plain wrong. So yeah, those 4 letters need no longer apply because we're all the same and trying to say otherwise is futile, wrong and exhausting lol.

I've type those 4 letters a total of three times, I think, since I've been a member here. Needless to say I have little faith in the term.

oh-the-humanity-gif-1.gif

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Updated tally

Shaves Per Blade:

11 - Shark Super Chrome
32 - Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
19 - Wilkinson Sword Classic
5 - Derby Extra (Retest needed)
13 - Polsilver SI (13 bad shaves!)
15 - Derby Premium
10 - SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
10 - Gillette Nacet
23 - Astra SP
12 - Polsilver SI (Retest)
14 - Gillette Silver Blue
34 - Feather
14 - Derby Extra (retest)
10 - Silver Astor ( vintage)
13 - Kai
6 - Zaza
6 - Zaza (retest)
9 - Gillette Super Thin
9 - Silver Star (red)
4 - Gillette Goal
4 - SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
(Fatip turned it to rust)
1 - Polsilver SI
8 - Indian Wilkinson

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Put it in the Fatip and give it a whirl.

Nah, I'll pass, thanks :D That's all boxed up ready to torment someone else now anyway. :p

The blade wasn't uncomfortable, but I was having to place a finger on the skin behind the razor as the cutting resistance was bunching up the skin ahead of the razor. That would have been very unpleasant for me with the Fatip, as the effective cutting angle steepens.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ok, I'm flummoxed. Today's shave has baffled me.

First shave with a Gillette Rubie, around 60 hours growth, usual soap,brush and lather, and the old faithful Jagger DE3D14. Edged up a sideburn before the first real swipe, and thought "ooh, that's bitey". It felt very much like a Gillette Yellow, REALLY sharp. Then I did a couple of strokes on my cheek, and they tugged. Badly. "Now it feels like a Polsilver!". Very inefficient, and lots of stubble left after the first roughing pass, N-S.

OK Al, be brave, Polsilveresque or not, you're going to get through this shave.

S-N pass was immensely smoother. No tugging, vary little feedback or resistance, and quite a close finish for that pass.

WTG. Tentatively.

Effortless BBS of face and jaw, really didn't feel like there was a blade in the razor. An extra swipe or two was needed on the main trouble areas under the jaw, but made short work of those too, yet it really irritated the neck around the Adams apple, while the rest was smooth as silk.

I do not understand this blade!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bad blade!

Simple as that!

One edge has irregular reflections on the bevel, not sure if it's a grinding or coating anomaly, but whatever it is, it is not as it should be.

I'll try again with a fresh one for the next shave

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Rubie Two inspected and loaded. Still not completely uniform on one of the bevels, but better than the first one. I think this batch passed through the line when one of the abrasive belts or wheels needed replacing. This one doesn't look quite as uneven though, so it might feel a little better.

Sounds like the blade smoothed out during the shave Al.
Don't be so quick to ditch it.

That behaviour is common with AC and SE Proline blades. (and others)

At least try another shave with it before you decide.
Rubie's are one of the better blades from what I remember.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sounds like the blade smoothed out during the shave Al.
Don't be so quick to ditch it.

That behaviour is common with AC and SE Proline blades. (and others)

At least try another shave with it before you decide.
Rubie's are one of the better blades from what I remember.

Nah, the blade was duff. I could see it even without magnification. I dumped it, got a second Rubie out, and shaved with that today

Much better!

When I inspected the second one before I loaded it, there was less irregularly on this than the first, but it was still asymetrical. Aware of this in the shave, I could feel that one edge felt smoother than the other, so I don't think I can consider this blade to give me a "true" shave count. I can however feel what this blade should be capable of with no glitches, and that is a very nice shave.

The first blade was really rough, almost to the point of being serrated (looking at the edge from the good bevel side, you could see the apex wasn't straight), whereas the slightly wonky edge on this blade didn't have that at all. Still not quite as it should be, but I have shaved with far worse.

Sadly, with the scale of manufacture of these items, and the intervals at which they are inspected, there's doing to be a few whoopsies that slip through. That said, I can tell this has all the makings of a great blade if you don't happen upon one of the less perfect ones that escapes into the wild. Even though it's just the first shave, I'm expecting this blade to do quite well, and expect to be keeping my eye out on the bay for a well priced small batch (I've taken to adding 25-off to the drawer, instead of 100. I really don't need 100 more of anything)

Top Bottom