What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

Yesterday was a particularly scritchy day. Not sure why. So I decided to soak the brush before using it today, to see if that helped with the scritch. It did. I only soaked it long enough for the water to run hot and fill the sink, but it did seem to make a significant difference to the comfort. However, as natural hair brushes can be so damn finicky, either one of those shaves could have been a fluke.
Here I am, imagining that you've shaved your scalp... and replaced the human hair with a synthetic wig (a blue one).
Al-Blue-Wig_2022-07-10.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Edwin Jagger DE3D14 razor
Kai (6)
St James of London Black Pepper and Lime
Vulfix Piccadilly Pure Badger

As I picked up the brush today, something immediately looked wrong. I may well have wonky vision, but even I could see the 3-4mm scabby white ring of congealed lather scum collected around the base of the knot.

Did I somehow completely fail to rinse put my brush at the last shave? I know I wasn't fully behind the wheel yesterday, so to speak.

No, I can't have!

When I have lathered for whatever I decide will be the last pass, I plonk the brush in the sink water. It typically bobs around, with maybe 10-15mm of bristles out of the water. I leave it there while I shave the final pass, to let the water penetrate in, and soften any cream or soap deep in the knot, that never quite made the transition to lather. Then after shaving, I give the brush a good swish, and paint water on my face to rinse, which both works the bristles to rinse them too, and saves spashing water everywhere. Dunk, paint, dunk, paint, till the face is clear. Then I give it another good swish.

In fairness, I don't always remember to run the brush under the cold tap, bristles up, when swilling down the sink, and rinsing out the mug I swish my razor in. Yet with one soak, two swishes, and the water painting, I really have no idea how that much gunk survived there.

Anyway, after my distinctly typical shave today, I was sure to give the brush a more thorough than normal rinse under the cold tap. If I have any presence of mind tomorrow, I'll look how it's dried, and whether there's any obvious deposits.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wrong side of the puddle to be of much use to me, Jim. I'll be attacking it with clarifying shampoo to try and clear it all out. I've been out most of today, but it's on the to do list.

Perhaps Ship-Shape is for sale in England, but I can't figure out how to find it if it is.

(I even had my VPN believing I'm in the UK, but that didn't do the trick either.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Perhaps Ship-Shape is for sale in England, but I can't figure out how to find it if it is.

(I even had my VPN believing I'm in the UK, but that didn't do the trick either.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not that product, or not that I can see. There is a Ship-Shape surface cleaner available here, so it's not a brand issue. Maybe one of the ingredients falls foul of some European regulations.

I've "bowl lathered" it with some clarifying shampoo, which will hopefully fix the problem. It does seem clean... but then it did before it dried the last time. I'll see what it looks like when it dries this time. If if hasn't shifted it, I'll get myself some white vinegar or citric acid.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not that product, or not that I can see. There is a Ship-Shape surface cleaner available here, so it's not a brand issue. Maybe one of the ingredients falls foul of some European regulations.

I've "bowl lathered" it with some clarifying shampoo, which will hopefully fix the problem. It does seem clean... but then it did before it dried the last time. I'll see what it looks like when it dries this time. If if hasn't shifted it, I'll get myself some white vinegar or citric acid.

That should work.

I probably rinse a lot more than many guys.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Edwin Jagger DE3D14 razor
Kai (9)
St James of London Black Pepper and Lime
Vulfix Piccadilly Pure Badger

The Vosene (shampoo) did the trick quite nicely. Not only did it strip out all the visible gunk, but the brush felt significantly less scritchy too. Maybe due to freeing up the bristles, so they can move properly over their full loft. I'll try to keep an eye out, to see how quickly it returns.

Usual two pass shave, not chasing any specific standard of closeness. Not only was post shave not needed, but I think in this weather, it would most likely be unwelcome too. Simply leaving the water to evaporate post rinse, left the skin feeling exactly as it should.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Vosene (shampoo) did the trick quite nicely. Not only did it strip out all the visible gunk, but the brush felt significantly less scritchy too. Maybe due to freeing up the bristles, so they can move properly over their full loft. I'll try to keep an eye out, to see how quickly it returns.
Sure sounds like a hard water problem to me Al. I believe Cal @Cal has had similar problems with his brushes in the past.

~doug~

Top Bottom