What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My best shave to date with the Mixed Midget and London Oatcake combo.

Remembering back to my last disappointment with it, I decided to treat the Oatcake as a cream, rather than a soap. By this, I mean starting with a controlled amount of product, rather than running the brush on the soap till it looks loaded enough.

Knowing that this is a product that needs using heavily, I scooped out about 1ml, and put that in the lather bowl. For those not familiar with post 18th century units of measurement, imagine a 3/8" cube. I then squeezed out the excess water from the drowning Midget, and just as I do with cream, bowl lathered/loaded, just long enough for the brush to collect all the product and coat the bristles.

When I started to face lather, I could tell I barely had enough product, despite using such a diminutive brush. In comparison, if I'm using Erasmic or St James of London cream, half that amount will give me a three pass shave. I just managed to get a two pass shave from it today, but it was a very pleasant shave. Better performance than my previous shave with the Goodfellas Smile Italian Lemon.

London Oatcake can give very good shaves, but it is not a product that I consider good value for money, due to how much product you need.

This was the first time I've used the product in this way, and wish I'd done it sooner. It takes all the guesswork out, and lets you tweak things for future if needed. As to the scritch, just like the last shave, it is still there, but doesn't feel like the whole brush. It feels like there's soft bristles, and scritchy bristles. Based on how few shaves this brush has done, I am assuming that the oils in this soap are, as planned, helping to soften the brush.

I'll certainly be continuing to use the soap as a cream, by serving up the quantity needed for that shave. This means that I won't bother serving it up into the pewter soap dish first. I'll just leave the original container in the bathroom, just like I do with other creams, and serve up 1ml stright into the lather bowl. That doesn't change anything just yet, but it does mean that I won't be putting more Oatcake into the bathroom until the tube of Erasmic is finished. Once empty, the pewter dish will be refilled with another soap - a soap I load the brush on directly.

I haven't applied a post shave yet, but I will. As the lather was so lean, I don't feel my skin feels as nourished as it can be when loading that soap heavier. I'll be using Bulldog Original moisturiser, as the oakmoss in that goes well with the scent of Oatcake Overgrowth.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I scooped out about 1ml, and put that in the lather bowl. For those not familiar with post 18th century units of measurement, imagine a 3/8" cube.

1611439603728.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Almost a direct repeat of yesterday.

Same brush, same soap croap stuff, and same method. Barely enough lather for two passes, but what little there was, performed well. The only significant difference between the two shaves, was the face felt more heavily scrubbed after today's shave, and the need to add moisturiser as a post shave was more immediate.

I'm rather disappointed that I may need to use even more product, than double what I need to use of my favourite creams. However, I only need to use half the amount of Erasmic or St James of London with a synthetic brush. Maybe that's a factor? I ought to use a synthetic brush with the same method and quantity, and see if there's a significant shift in lather yield and performance.

My face could do with a rest from the scritch now anyway. Two consecutive shaves with that brush in its current condition is quite enough.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬆ That's what I notice, too, Al ⬆

Case in point is my 70/30 brush.

ThaterHandle.NeverWet.70:30Knot.640.SevereBottomAngle.4-29-20.JPG

In this photo, the brush was newly built and had never been wet. It's a Maggard 70/30 knot which I installed in an old Thater handle given to me by a member whose Thater boar knot broke, as did mine (long story).

It has now been used for shaving many times. In addition it's seen many out of rotation wet to dry cycles all accompanied by tips to the towel drying/breaking in efforts.

The knot performs beautifully as a lather monster. It has what I experience as a most delicious scrub.

I really want to like it, and I do like it, but using it within my rotation requires it to be suitable as a brush I could take on a Fixed Four.

It's not there yet. Don't know it will get there.​

Two consecutive shaves with that brush in its current condition is quite enough.

I agree with your statement as applied to both my Mixed Midget and my 70/30: Two consecutive shaves with either brush in its current condition is quite enough. More than quite enough.

Now, the Mistura is another knot entirely. It's what a mixed knot should be in my opinion, and it's that way right out of the box. If I lived in your neighborhood I'd lend you mine and make you a convert.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
⬆ That's what I notice, too, Al ⬆

Case in point is my 70/30 brush.

View attachment 1212832
In this photo, the brush was newly built and had never been wet. It's a Maggard 70/30 knot which I installed in an old Thater handle given to me by a member whose Thater boar knot broke, as did mine (long story).

It has now been used for shaving many times. In addition it's seen many out of rotation wet to dry cycles all accompanied by tips to the towel drying/breaking in efforts.

The knot performs beautifully as a lather monster. It has what I experience as a most delicious scrub.

I really want to like it, and I do like it, but using it within my rotation requires it to be suitable as a brush I could take on a Fixed Four.

It's not there yet. Don't know it will get there.​

I agree with your statement as applied to both my Mixed Midget and my 70/30: Two consecutive shaves with either brush in its current condition is quite enough. More than quite enough.

Now, the Mistura is another knot entirely. It's what a mixed knot should be in my opinion, and it's that way right out of the box. If I lived in your neighborhood I'd lend you mine and make you a convert.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I looked it up, and my recollection of the price was fairly accurate. To my mind, it is one brush for the price of three. It's also larger than I tend towards, even if it's quite small for your tastes. My Simpson Trafalgar is of a similar diameter, but stumpier, therefore limiting the splay. I'm pretty sure the Mistura would overspan the distance from my ear to goatee, and get lather everywhere I don't want it.

Hopefully our respective scritchy brushes won't take too long to settle in to our liking. :thumbup1:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Now, the Mistura is another knot entirely. It's what a mixed knot should be in my opinion, and it's that way right out of the box.
+1
This post made me go back and count how many times I have used my Mistura, as I had just posted I thought it was between 20-30 times. I liked it right away. Friday was #8, but it feels like I have already used it 30 times. My Omega Silvertip took 60 shaves before the magic took over.

The in and out of rotation of brushes has just reminded me of something. I experienced neglected boar syndrome a while back. My Omega 10051 had been out of use for a few months. When I went to use it was super stiff and scratchy and it looked and felt just like a brand new boar. Took a week or more of shaves to get it back to comfortable. I don't know if other natural bristle brushes are affected the same way as boars. I expect most brushes as originally made were made to be used regularly. I think this is why synthetics have become so popular with people who have very large brush collections. Use them or not and they are exactly the same each time they get picked up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The in and out of rotation of brushes has just reminded me of something. I experienced neglected boar syndrome a while back. My Omega 10051 had been out of use for a few months. When I went to use it was super stiff and scratchy and it looked and felt just like a brand new boar. Took a week or more of shaves to get it back to comfortable. I don't know if other natural bristle brushes are affected the same way as boars. I expect most brushes as originally made were made to be used regularly. I think this is why synthetics have become so popular with people who have very large brush collections. Use them or not and they are exactly the same each time they get picked up.

My neglected boar, the last one I used before moving to synthetics (possibly the same as yours), has ceased its appalling shedding since being thoroughly dried out. That's what led me to try another brush, but used with thorough drying times. I still have that boar, and that will become the fall back scrubby brush should the Despicable Dwarf not settle down.

My neglected boar, the last one I used before moving to synthetics (possibly the same as yours), has ceased its appalling shedding since being thoroughly dried out. That's what led me to try another brush, but used with thorough drying times. I still have that boar, and that will become the fall back scrubby brush should the Despicable Dwarf not settle down.

Unless there's a fault with the construction of a brush I'd have thought that the most likely cause of shedding would be not soaking a brush properly before use. A brittle bristle is more likely to snap than a dry one. In years gone by I'd guess that most daily shavers used the same brush every day, be it boar, badger or whatever and only replaced it when it wore out.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The in and out of rotation of brushes has just reminded me of something. I experienced neglected boar syndrome a while back.

I've not used any of my boars in too long. I might soak them all sometimes soon just to show 'em some love, and prepare them for use.

I'm pretty sure the Mistura would overspan the distance from my ear to goatee, and get lather everywhere I don't want it.

Hopefully our respective scritchy brushes won't take too long to settle in to our liking. :thumbup1:

1611513616164.png

This one's 22 mm, Al.

Apparently, it's a good size for small knot fans like you and Cal, according to Cal anyway.

+1
This post made me go back and count how many times I have used my Mistura, as I had just posted I thought it was between 20-30 times. I liked it right away. Friday was #8, but it feels like I have already used it 30 times. My Omega Silvertip took 60 shaves before the magic took over.

Indeed!

Unless there's a fault with the construction of a brush I'd have thought that the most likely cause of shedding would be not soaking a brush properly before use. A brittle bristle is more likely to snap than a dry one. In years gone by I'd guess that most daily shavers used the same brush every day, be it boar, badger or whatever and only replaced it when it wore out.

Amen!

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

That's how I was using mine, and the bristles were never brittle, because it never truly dried out. That's what I now assume the problem to be, hence trying afresh, with time to dry.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1212919
This one's 22 mm, Al.

Apparently, it's a good size for small knot fans like you and Cal, according to Cal anyway.

Still priced further than I care to roam, Jim. I don't wish to start an expensive quest, for the solution to a problem which I don't have.

I'll give the current one this year to settle in (not continual use, but alternated with whichever synth is on duty), and see how I feel thereafter. :thumbsup:

This one's 22 mm, Al.

Yep, the Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura is an excellent brush.
Badger-Boars_2021-01-24.jpg

The knots on mine measure 22/49 (Semogue) and 22/48 (Omega) respectively.

The Semogue keeps its shape really well, unlike some of the Semogue boars you see blooming at 90° off the centerline. :001_rolle

AND DIGRESSING A LITTLE...
My current Midget is losing hairs/bristles too, although not quite as much as the previous one. It looks like Omega have stopped producing them, and I'm guessing that the last batch of knots were tied on a Friday.

SUMMARY
The Semogue may be ~three times the price of the Omega, but taking my experiences of both into account I say it's easily worth double that.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My current Midget is losing hairs/bristles too, although not quite as much as the previous one. It looks like Omega have stopped producing them, and I'm guessing that the last batch of knots were tied on a Friday.

I wasn't aware of that. That doesn't bode well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1611523403240.png

SUMMARY
The Semogue may be ~three times the price of the Omega, but taking my experiences of both into account I say it's easily worth double that.

If you're saying the Mistura is six times better than the MM, I think you're shortchanging the Mistura.

The MM is an interesting knot, but the Mistura is a great knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1213013

If you're saying the Mistura is six times better than the MM, I think you're shortchanging the Mistura.

The MM is an interesting knot, but the Mistura is a great knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's roughly 7x the cost of my previous Omega (which IS the 10051, I checked), and aside from the shedding issues, it readily softened at the tips, had great backbone, and all the scrub I could wish for. If the Midget doesn't work out, but I still wanted a natural hair brush, that's the direction I'd default to.

I wish to take nothing away from the great shaves you're getting with the Mistura brushes, but like so many other aspects of traditional shaving (£60+ razors, £40+ soaps, £20+ aftershaves) there are other great options out there, which give me everything that I want, at a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't kept that boar wet for eight to ten months (or however long it was), it wouldn't have suffered like it did. I'm also pretty sure I'm capable of mangling a £35 brush just as quick too :D

Top Bottom