luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true...🙂
Well, there you go!

he0lehif23061.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think in Aftershaves, you're more likely to get answers from people who have actually tried it, and less from people who have not but are happy to share "what they heard".
Having said that - The Veg is a staple aftershave for me. There is a floral note to it, and lilac scents have been associated with funerals and bathroom deodorizers for decades. That doesn't mean that Lilac Vegetal smells like funerals or bathrooms, it means that the scent was pleasant enough that some people thought it would be good to use as a distracting smell for those arenas.
For me, the Veg is most strongly associated with a very earthy, peaty smell, like a forest floor that is really great. There's just enough floral to offset the earthy smell from being overpowering, and brings it up a level or two from a very heavy scent.
I don't care for it much directly in the plastic bottle and put it in glass. I think there is some reaction with the plastic and air which is offputting to some folks.
It's certainly not a universally loved classic, but it has been in production long enough to confirm that there are PLENTY of people who are chosen and who do like it.
Manufacturers do not continue to make what people do not buy.

What happened to the rest of the video? I love that video and wait for Veg threads just in the hopes of seeing it and I am not chosen. :)

I am the owner of at least, 200 modern and vintage aftershaves give or take a dozen. I have always prided myself in thinking, I am the Will Rodgers of aftershaves because “I had never met an aftershave I didn’t like.”

Until Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I got the rumored pissy, diaper smell I feared from reading all of the famed threads here. I don’t know if reading those first put my mind in a place to experience this, but I do know, my 27 year old daughter who was 17 at the time, splashed some on as a perfume splash and it smelled absolutely heavenly on her.

In fact, when she found out I had pif’d that bottle of veg here on badger & blade, she got quite upset with me for not offering it to her first.

I personally get along fine with Masters Lilac and have had a jug of it for quite sometime.

Last edited:
I'm a fan...It goes especially well when paired with Gray Flannel Cologne. I do tend to use less in the summer, since the heat (90+) makes it a little cloying for me, and glass does seem to make a difference for most Clubman products for some reason.

Perhaps one day I will try this legend...

I don't have high expectations for success, though. The lovely War Department just simply does not like most scents. Based on the descriptions here, she probsbly would not like the Veg.

I have Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal and Master's Lilac Vegetol. The Vegetal has the lilac with other scents I can't figure out but I do like it. Vegetol is straight up lilac. Reminds me of my pediatrician's office in the back of a drug store in the mid 60's. My vegetal has been decanted into a small glass sake bottle just to be sure it doesn't get plastic funk.

I had a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum in plastic that went bad from the plastic. Glass never affected run like that. So it might be the same for aftershave.

With Memorial Day being the official start of summer, I’ll be switching mine out here this weekend. It’s my go-to spring aftershave. I won’t tempt fate to suggest I’m chosen, but I’m going on about 5 seasons, I haven’t been left yet, nor been dragged into HR over hygiene-related complaints. It’s with me to stay as far as I’m concerned, and either all is going well or everyone is very polite.

I am a strong advocate of decanting it into glass the second I get some though. All Clubman products really, even their classic tends to skunk quickly to my nose in the default bottle.

I had the opportunity to smell it recently — maybe I had smelled it before but if so I forgot. I'm more of a fragrance-free person, and if fragrance, more of a known-woody-essential-oil person, so I wouldn't use it regardless.

My initial reaction was that it reminded me of bathrooms or lobbies in very old office buildings, the sort of association that my guess younger generations soon won't have because those buildings either won't exist or will be renovated thoroughly and cleaned with products with entirely different scents. I didn't have any urine or funeral association. I would also never associate lilac with it at all.

I have to admit my perception of it changed as I kept going back to it though. I'm not sure how exactly, but when I smelled it on later occasions it kind of became more neutral, more of a body-powdery kind of association as in one of the videos.

Top Bottom