What's new

The Veg Reached Out To Me at the Antique Store

Okay, after over a year and a half of being into this thing of ours and hearing all about "The Veg"..... I more or less figured that if the Veg wants me, it will make it's intentions known someday. That day may have been today. I'm not saying I'm one of the chosen today, but I am about to find out. Walking through an antique store with my daughter today, I noticed this little number on a shelf with a $3 price tag on it:

$DSCN6672.jpg

My daughter collects cat related knick knacks so she is usually on the lookout miniature cat statues and the like, so I thought it was quite ironic because..... well..... you know :wink2: .

I told her that some people think that this stuff is the greatest after shave in the world and others say it smells like cat.... ummmm..... urine. She smiled and laughed and scrunched up her nose. I slowly unscrewed the plastic cap as the bottle was approximately 1/5 full and we both took a sniff. My thought was, "not bad"..... hers was the same. I grabbed it and we went up to the counter with her little kitten in a shoe knick knack that she found for 50 cents..... $3.50 plus tax and we were out the door.

I went to the drugstore on the way home and picked up a new bottle of the Veg (which cost $7 by the way). I needed to know the vintage to new comparison:

$DSCN6667.jpg$DSCN6668.jpg$DSCN6669.jpg$DSCN6670.jpg

I have not applied either to my skin, but smelling from the bottle I can definitely say that the vintage is "stronger" in scent..... although I would say that they are very similar otherwise. Okay, so we all know about what a travesty it is for aftershaves such as this to no longer come in a glass bottle, but what may get overlooked is the lack of flair with the descriptions of the product on the back of the bottle. Read the vintage and read the new and tell me which you find better.

Ben

More pics:

$DSCN6673.jpg$DSCN6674.jpg$DSCN6676.jpg$DSCN6677.jpg

The old juice was some little red chunkies in the bottom of the bottle. I will not be using this juice, but will replace with the new. If I am chosen, then so be it..... I will always have a cool glass bottle in my den. If I am not, then this will possibly hit the B/S/T someday in the future.

Ben

That description on the vintage bottle is awesome!

I know..... "to luxuriate" is what traditional wetshaving is all about..... I didn't know that there was one word to describe it though. Okay, so you get rid of the glass bottle and go to cheap plastic.... at least don't fire the guy who writes the descriptions on the back label.

Ben

The back label changed before they went to plastic. I am not sure exactly when it happened: ca. 1966 when labeling laws changed or ca. 1975 when bar codes came in. Anyway I have a glass bottle with a bar code, which means ca. 1975 or later. Its back label is closer to the modern one.

Last edited:
The vintage seems to be an entirely different color - more greenish. I wonder if the darker color and stronger scent is due to something (alcohol?) evaporating out of the old version, leaving it more concentrated.

Nice little score you found.

I've always been leery of glass in the bathroom.

I have Tabac (which only comes in glass) but other than that everything is in bouncable plastic bottles

The back label changed before they went to plastic. I am not sure exactly when it happened: ca. 1966 when labeling laws changed or ca. 1975 when bar codes came in. Anyway I have a glass bottle with a bar code, which means ca. 1975 or later. Its back label is closer to the modern one.

Interesting. Yes, I would've guessed the one I found to have been made in the 1950's or 60's during the Golden Age of marketing and advertising based on the verbage. But come on..... they couldn't say that it smells like "cat ****" so they had to come up with a big long description of it instead :lol: .

Ben

That bottle looks like it's from one of those "Night Gallery" type horror short stories. I wonder how many people have been killed by it and it get's brought back to the same antique dealer (played by Boris Karloff) who smiles and puts it back on the shelf as the credits roll.

Ha ha. I actually bought it from an antique store that little old ladies volunteer to work at and the merchandise is primarily from donation. All of the proceeds from this particular antique store go to the local hospice. Your scenario is exciting..... maybe we could turn it into more a an "Arsenic and Old Lace" type of story.

Ben

Top Bottom