What's new

The Veg More Polarizing Than Politics/Religion

I will start by saying I wasn't chosen. As a matter of fact, I am one to say it smells like a dirty urnial and lilacs. I really did want to be "chosen" before I knew what it was like for me to ever smell & wear it. Even though I really didn't like it, I am fascinated by the "legend" and polarization of this product.

On Amazon, I was curious as to what the reviews would be like, so I went there and read some. Actually, I read MANY because it was either love or hate, but the hateful ones wer absolutely HILARIOUS! I was laughing out loud (literally) at the things people would say to describe it. One guy gave a story about a convalescent home, and said the words about seven times along with a related story! It was also funny to read the comment from Veg lovers in response to the haters. Some of the comments were even to say how hard the reader was laughing.

I know that everyones sense of smell is different, but it amazes me that there is NO in-between emotions over this stuff. Even politics and religion can find common ground among its various subjects! It is scientifically fascinating to me.

If you want to be entertained, read some of the reviews of the Veg on Amazon if you haven't already!

Thanks for the tip but I can add I'm in the middle on this scent.

Wow, you are the first one I have heard of in my 3 years of knowing about the Veg. I am only posting for the humor factor. People are funny in their reviews.

So would you decide to wear it with people that you don't know? Hard to believe anyone would be in the middle of a "smells like urine" / "smells like flowers" scent - LOL.

I have not tried the Veg so far. I think I am afraid that I would not be chosen and I am not sure if my delicate psyche can handle tat!

I, too, am pretty middle-of-the-road. I am not chosen, but I don't hate it either.

I gave it every chance to choose me. I decanted into glass, I let it breathe, I wore it every day for a week. In the end, I decided I had too many aftershaves that I really liked to mess with one that I had to try to make myself like.

Not to mention that my cat hates it.

I, too, am pretty middle-of-the-road. I am not chosen, but I don't hate it either.

I gave it every chance to choose me. I decanted into glass, I let it breathe, I wore it every day for a week. In the end, I decided I had too many aftershaves that I really liked to mess with one that I had to try to make myself like.

Not to mention that my cat hates it.

LOL that is so funny! Do cats not like aftershaves in general, or just your kitty with the Veg?

So, your wife calls it "cat pee aftershave" and you are middle of road? Even if I personally thought it smelled like heaven, others calling it "cat pee" or "dirty bathroom" would make me avoid it. As I have mentioned before, I have never smelled anyone smell like the Veg (and I know I have stood close to men wearing it - just by the odds), and don't ever recall that stank on anyone, so is must be something that fades away completely.

Things we shouldn't talk about at B&B: politics, religion, and veg. :lol:

So I was reading some online reviews, and some people complained that veg was reformulated with the clubman rebranding/acquisition, and it doesn't smell the same anymore.

Curious about thoughts & opinions about it.

I never knew about Lilac Vegetal's reputation until I became a member here. My dad uses it so I use it. I've never really run across anyone who's noticed the scent or been repulsed by it on me. I like it and my Wife likes it, so I'm second generation chosen. I still find it hard to believe that it is such an infamous scent.

I started storing it in glass, not because I don't like the scent but just to put it in a nice glass bottle in the bathroom. I actually think I preferred the stronger scent from the plastic bottle and somewhat regret transferring it to glass.

Things we shouldn't talk about at B&B: politics, religion, and veg. :lol:

So I was reading some online reviews, and some people complained that veg was reformulated with the clubman rebranding/acquisition, and it doesn't smell the same anymore.

Curious about thoughts & opinions about it.

I was going to ask about that as well. Must have been better at one time?

Old Spice has MOST DEFINITELY been reformulated, and it isn't something I would ever buy now. I am very disappointed about it.

Wow, you are the first one I have heard of in my 3 years of knowing about the Veg. I am only posting for the humor factor. People are funny in their reviews. So would you decide to wear it with people that you don't know? Hard to believe anyone would be in the middle of a "smells like urine" / "smells like flowers" scent - LOL.

To be totally honest I haven't decided what it smells like. There is at least one more brand of Lilac Vegetal, one of the barber type companies like Master's or Stephen's, out there that I'd like to try for comparison.

To be totally honest I haven't decided what it smells like. There is at least one more brand of Lilac Vegetal, one of the barber type companies like Master's or Stephen's, out there that I'd like to try for comparison.

But the important opinion (your wife) says cat pee! LOL I would think that you would have to follow SWMBO. :lol:

So I was reading some online reviews, and some people complained that veg was reformulated with the clubman rebranding/acquisition, and it doesn't smell the same anymore. Curious about thoughts & opinions about it.

I was unaware of this, who made it before Pinaud Clubman? Have you ever tried the 'other rarely mentioned' Lilac Vegetal(s) on the market? I haven't but I'd like to.

I was unaware of this, who made it before Pinaud Clubman? Have you ever tried the 'other rarely mentioned' Lilac Vegetal(s) on the market? I haven't but I'd like to.

Someone said it used to just be "Pinaud Lilac Vegetal". Not really sure how Clubman got added to the mix.

But the important opinion (your wife) says cat pee! LOL I would think that you would have to follow SWMBO. :lol:

I don't have a wife but do have a girlfriend. Thinking she would shoot it down immediately I let her smell it on me after the dry down. She wasn't repulsed but didn't exactly rave about it either. I let her small Tabac and she hated that!

According to the wiki:

"So by around 1940 the Clubman line, which consisted of aftershave, talc, hair tonic, shampoo and soap, hit the shops and established itself as one of the finest moderately priced mens grooming brands around.

"It wasn't until 1933 that Pinaud began to reach the "common man" with their introduction of the low priced, re-formulated Lilac Vegetol aftershave which ended up being a big hit."

Clubman was the American rebrand for affordable products. The French side of the business wanted to maintain it's refined snootiness.

I really doubt that many people have vintage pre 40's lilac vegetal and would be posting about it on amazon.

Edit:

Also from the wiki:

By the 1990s, the decision was made to go to all plastic bottles for the entire Pinaud line; a decision that left a lot of Pinaud fans upset. The essences were all reformulated to compensate for the absorbency of plastic, which in most cases meant substituting real citrus and floral extracts for synthetic knock-offs. Regular Clubman weathered the change fairly intact, while the most noticeable differences being Lilac Vegetol, Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and Vanilla Musk. These fragrances were built upon their genuine respective ingredients, and the newer formulations tend to smell like cheap, synthetic knock offs.

here's the link: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Pinaud

Last edited:
Z-blade, I'm impressed that as an unchosen, you actually admitted it smells like lilac! Usually people just say it smells like cat urine (I'm being polite) and don't acknowledge the flower scent at all.

Curious if you tried decanting any into glass before you made up your mind completely? The off scent most are smelling, I truly believe comes form interaction with the plastic bottle. Decant some into glass and let it sit for a week or two and try it again. I bet you'll notice a difference. Might not change your mind on it, but it has to some.

I can tell you that putting it in glass makes a difference. I have smelled them side by side. It mellows it a little. You can notice the plastic smell. Some people really pick that up I think.

If you heat the plastic bottle with water in it to get the label off, a terrible skunky odor develops. Maybe some bottles got too hot at some time. This goes for all the clubman aftershaves.

I also think that some peoples skin reacts badly with it to produce bad odors. I don't think it's a difference in noses at this stage.

Even fresh out of the plastic bottle, it dries to a nice odor that one may or may not like on me. It certainly doesn't smell like urine or play dough.

In the end, some folks do seem to have an aversion to it, but hey, nobody is perfect.

Top Bottom