What's new

The Vector is Blacklands best razor.

Hey @nicked78 & @molon_labe , how many shaves do you get on average with the Kai Milds? I am trying another one, and if I stay shallow (thanks again, @DaveHStone!), I can get some very comfy shaves. But regardless of SB or OC, the Vector is super efficient at removing all the lather, making an additional stroke an invitation for irritation. Thanks in advance!

I've only used one of those blades so far, but got nine uses out of it and that was about one too many. My other blades have also been eight good shaves. (As a reference, I get 3-4 good shaves from a typical DE blade, and then it's completely toast.)

I think I know what you're talking about when you say the Vector really sweeps your skin clear of lather. I must have gotten so used to it by now that I don't notice. On my final (touchup) pass, I squeeze the remaining lather out of my brush into my non-shaving hand and do quick reapplications of lather for each stroke. It's faster than putting the razor down and picking up my brush, giving me less excuse to shave dry skin. And boy, do I need help not being lazy.

I've only used one of those blades so far, but got nine uses out of it and that was about one too many. My other blades have also been eight good shaves. (As a reference, I get 3-4 good shaves from a typical DE blade, and then it's completely toast.)

I think I know what you're talking about when you say the Vector really sweeps your skin clear of lather. I must have gotten so used to it by now that I don't notice. On my final (touchup) pass, I squeeze the remaining lather out of my brush into my non-shaving hand and do quick reapplications of lather for each stroke. It's faster than putting the razor down and picking up my brush, giving me less excuse to shave dry skin. And boy, do I need help not being lazy.

I appreciate hearing this. The Fatip Grande and Piccolo were the only others that did this, and I remember being cautioned by a member here not to try too many strokes before applying more lather. My experience with the Vector has been similar, in that no matter how slick the lather is, there doesn't seem to be any residual lather left behind. Maybe I am still applying too much pressure. Good thing the whiskers grow back so I can try again! 🤪

The combination of daily shaving, Vector’s efficiency using a steep angle, and the sharpness of the Proline blade was causing some irritation. I’ve switched to the Kai Pink and a shallow angle, allowing me to maintain smoothness while lessening irritation. Any one else with similar experience?
I missed responding earlier, and really have nothing new to add, except to say that yes, I have that same experience as you if I shave steep for 2-3 days in a row. I find shallow better, but my hand/muscle memory wants to hold at a less than shallow angle.

The Vector is so different, to me, from any other razor (mostly DEs for me), that I am willing to concede that much of my issue with daily shaving is due to not having my "Vetor-tique" down yet. Many thanks to @DaveHStone for such a comprehensive list, it is helping me as I continue with the Vector.

I missed responding earlier, and really have nothing new to add, except to say that yes, I have that same experience as you if I shave steep for 2-3 days in a row. I find shallow better, but my hand/muscle memory wants to hold at a less than shallow angle.

The Vector is so different, to me, from any other razor (mostly DEs for me), that I am willing to concede that much of my issue with daily shaving is due to not having my "Vetor-tique" down yet. Many thanks to @DaveHStone for such a comprehensive list, it is helping me as I continue with the Vector.
You're more than welcome brother. Happy you've found my input useful.

Finally acquired a Vector! Still getting to learn this razor and currently only have proline blades, should be getting some more through a trade on the BST soon. (Pesky sabbatical and all). Had a fantastic shave with it this morning after going a few days without shaving.
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Cella EEB
A/S: Old Spice Pure Sport
Have a great day y’all!
F2225B36-401E-41BA-BD72-1D0109F09790.jpeg

Finally acquired a Vector! Still getting to learn this razor and currently only have proline blades, should be getting some more through a trade on the BST soon. (Pesky sabbatical and all). Had a fantastic shave with it this morning after going a few days without shaving.
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Soap: Cella EEB
A/S: Old Spice Pure Sport
Have a great day y’all!View attachment 1292904
Nice!

Obviously the design of the thin head, blade gap, blade exposure play a roll in how it shaves. I wonder also that if the distance (or in this case the lack of distance) from how far the the bade is from where the handle connects. Maybe the way the force vectors (no pun intended) are different with blades that protrude far from the cap (like DE, other SE, or Gem)?

Obviously the design of the thin head, blade gap, blade exposure play a roll in how it shaves. I wonder also that if the distance (or in this case the lack of distance) from how far the the bade is from where the handle connects. Maybe the way the force vectors (no pun intended) are different with blades that protrude far from the cap (like DE, other SE, or Gem)?

That's probably my favorite part of the Vector. The blade feels so directly controlled because it's sitting right at the end of the handle. It makes the razor an extension of the hand in way that few razors can/do.

Just watched several reviews of the Vector on YouTube. So far, only one person (The Lathering With Rui) has had anything negative to say about it...Rui said he found it a "very rough shaver". Of course, YMMV and he may have gotten a bad sample, but it's pretty amazing that, so far, I've only found one naysayer. Actually, Rui told me he hasn't given up on the Vector yet!

Just watched several reviews of the Vector on YouTube. So far, only one person (The Lathering With Rui) has had anything negative to say about it...Rui said he found it a "very rough shaver". Of course, YMMV and he may have gotten a bad sample, but it's pretty amazing that, so far, I've only found one naysayer. Actually, Rui told me he hasn't given up on the Vector yet!

That’s cool that Rui posted a negative review. I generally think there are a bit too many positive reviews. Even though I know the Vector is objectively a very good razor, as a consumer I always find it a bit suspicious when any product receives universal praise. It also makes it difficult to actually learn anything from reviews if every single one is positive.

Edit: Without watching his video yet, I’d venture to guess that it’s a pressure issue or the blades just aren’t his thing. The most common issue I correct with customers is getting used to adding some (but not too much) pressure since they’re used to heavy razors.

That’s cool that Rui posted a negative review. I generally think there are a bit too many positive reviews. Even though I know the Vector is objectively a very good razor, as a consumer I always find it a bit suspicious when any product receives universal praise. It also makes it difficult to actually learn anything from reviews if every single one is positive.

Edit: Without watching his video yet, I’d venture to guess that it’s a pressure issue or the blades just aren’t his thing. The most common issue I correct with customers is getting used to adding some (but not too much) pressure since they’re used to heavy razors.
It looks like Rui is using enough pressure:

He's also tried 5 different blades (KAI PINK Mild, P30s Proline, Feather Pros, Feather ProGuards, Feather Super Pros).
So...the mystery remains 🤔

Had my best shave yet with the Vector last night!
Razor: Blackland Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain
Brush: 22mm SHD maggard re-knot
Soap & A/S: B&M Reserve Waves
I definitely need to try a few more blades with this razor! Thank you @bjm for the trade for the two new types of blades! The Kai Captain blades are great! I need to try some more feather blades and the other two Kai blades as well. I was concerned at the beginning with this razor, but I’m seeing the light finally, and it’s looking good! Have a great day y’all!
A2DEE4A4-09A5-4370-A97A-35FD585B950A.jpeg

It looks like Rui is using enough pressure:

He's also tried 5 different blades (KAI PINK Mild, P30s Proline, Feather Pros, Feather ProGuards, Feather Super Pros).
So...the mystery remains 🤔
Mystery solved! The problem wasn't that Rui wasn't using enough pressure...it was that he was using too much pressure!

After adjusting his technique, he now loves the Vector! 😍

I've had a similar experience with the Colonial V2 (and razors in general).

Thanks for the latest video, Rui...and for the reminder that often "less is more"!

So I guess it's about time to start offering some feedback on the Ti Vector... This morning was my 5th shave with it so far. I knew on the initial use that I was going to prefer it over the SS Vector, and subsequent shaves just reaffirmed my initial impression. For reference, the SS Vector was my favorite razor, the one I used every day, the one that convinced me to sell off all my other razors with exception of a General V2 head I kept as a travel razor. The Ti Vector, in my opinion, is even better than the SS version.

Full disclosure, over the past year I started gravitating to Ti DEs over SS, so it's probably not a huge surprise that my favorite razor offered in Ti would be a winner. I was a little concerned the Ti Vector might be a hair too light, as I've never had great experiences with aluminum razors in the past. But even though the Ti Vector is approaching the weight range of many aluminum offerings, I don't find it to feel or shave like one at all. It still has enough mass to do what it needs to do, even on coarse hair.

The original Vector won me over because no other razor I had ever used was able to deliver such a close shave without sacrificing comfort. I don't find any loss of effeciency moving from SS to Ti, and if anything the lighter weight makes it slightly more forgiving in terms of pressure/user-error. For me, that equates to just as close of a shave with even more comfort than was already offered by the SS version.

Unless you're someone who just really likes the heft offered by SS or brass razors, I think the Ti Vector is definitly worth checking out. It offers a different enough experience from the SS version that you could justify owning both, if variety is what you're looking for. I'm personally very much a minimalist, so the Ti Vector will be the new razor I reach for every day.

Top Bottom