What's new

The Vector is Blacklands best razor.

I haven’t used the Vector in a few days because I’ve been having fun with the H&S Z074 and the Ti Blackbird I just received this past week. I’m going back to the Vector tomorrow to finish experimenting with some different blade and plate combinations.

Quick question for the group... I’ve only used the SB plate for one shave so far. I found the front corner edges of the plate to be noticeably sharp, to the point that I thought I had nicked myself a couple times. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just a weirdo?

You can see how the outside teeth of the OC plate are nicely rounded, whereas the SB plate has sharper corners.

proxy.php

I haven’t used the Vector in a few days because I’ve been having fun with the H&S Z074 and the Ti Blackbird I just received this past week. I’m going back to the Vector tomorrow to finish experimenting with some different blade and plate combinations.

Quick question for the group... I’ve only used the SB plate for one shave so far. I found the front corner edges of the plate to be noticeably sharp, to the point that I thought I had nicked myself a couple times. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just a weirdo?

You can see how the outside teeth of the OC plate are nicely rounded, whereas the SB plate has sharper corners.

proxy.php
I have both plates, but prefer the OC, as it gives me smoother shaves. I use Feather Pro and Pro Super.

I haven't had that issue myself but we all do things a little differently. I bet that with a few more reps, it won't be a problem. I look forward to your comparison of the OC and SB plates. I find the SB a very nice balance between efficiency and comfort. Maybe a little tilted towards comfort but I've been using a Kai ProTouch recently. I haven't tested it yet with the blade that the manufacturer used as a benchmark (The Feather Professional). I hope to do that within a couple weeks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

My SB plate is smooth all around.

Blackland Razors service is top notch. I would contact Shane - @Blackland Razors - and let him know about the issue.

Went back to the Vector today after a few days using other razors. Tried out the Protouch MG blade for the first time. Not the sharpest feeling blade, but very smooth shave all around. It really took the 3rd pass ATG to really knock the hair down. So far the 2 Kai blades (Captain Mild and Protouch) are in the lead Ahead of the Feather Pro or Proline. I only have 1 shave each of the latter 2, so still some more experimenting to go with those.

There’s something about the Vector though, the closeness of the shave is just on a different level than I get with DE razors. I get some super close shaves with DEs, but the feel after using the Vector is just different. It’s hard to explain. I’m really enjoying this new platform.

proxy.php
Here is a photo of mine. I think I see the same thing, but I don't think I felt anything with the SB plate.
20210524_174611.jpg

Here is a photo of mine. I think I see the same thing, but I don't think I felt anything with the SB plate.
View attachment 1271531

Thanks for sharing. The front corners of your SB look rounded off similar to the OC. If you look back a few posts, see how squared off the front outside corners are on mine?

Shane already got back to me earlier today and is sending out another SB plate to see if it’s any different for me. Pretty great customer service and responsiveness.

Thanks for sharing. The front corners of your SB look rounded off similar to the OC. If you look back a few posts, see how squared off the front outside corners are on mine?

Shane already got back to me earlier today and is sending out another SB plate to see if it’s any different for me. Pretty great customer service and responsiveness.
You're right on both counts! Great customer service and my corners are more rounded compared to yours. I posted faster than I could look!

Went back to the Vector today after a few days using other razors. Tried out the Protouch MG blade for the first time. Not the sharpest feeling blade, but very smooth shave all around. It really took the 3rd pass ATG to really knock the hair down. So far the 2 Kai blades (Captain Mild and Protouch) are in the lead Ahead of the Feather Pro or Proline. I only have 1 shave each of the latter 2, so still some more experimenting to go with those.

There’s something about the Vector though, the closeness of the shave is just on a different level than I get with DE razors. I get some super close shaves with DEs, but the feel after using the Vector is just different. It’s hard to explain. I’m really enjoying this new platform.
I agree with the closeness compared to DE. I have been wondering about selling some DEs as I reach for the Vector or Sabre so much!

As for blades, I like the Protouch MG, and really liked the Prolines, but haven't used a Proline in a while. I had single blades of all AC styles that Try A Blade sold, but most felt horrible, even the Proline. So I bought packs of the Proline, Protouch MG, and Capt. Mild, the latter not being tried yet.

I am planning on devoting June to the Vector, to learn my blades and the new to me open comb that just came today from the BST.

I agree with the closeness compared to DE. I have been wondering about selling some DEs as I reach for the Vector or Sabre so much!

As for blades, I like the Protouch MG, and really liked the Prolines, but haven't used a Proline in a while. I had single blades of all AC styles that Try A Blade sold, but most felt horrible, even the Proline. So I bought packs of the Proline, Protouch MG, and Capt. Mild, the latter not being tried yet.

I am planning on devoting June to the Vector, to learn my blades and the new to me open comb that just came today from the BST.

Following this with interest!

I am trying to put in words how I think the Vector differs from most DE shaves I've had so far. I think as far as ultimate closeness especially in easier-to-shave areas, I think DE razors/blades are still hard to beat. However, the Vector absolutely shines on harder areas (chin and neck), no contest. I think the Vector produces a more even shave result overall--less variation in closeness across all areas, as compared to DE. Finally, the Vector is far more comfortable and easier to use than most DE's for me.

I also find that changing AC blades makes a bigger difference than changing DE blades as far as shave closeness goes. A Pro Super in the Vector can be more than a full pass ahead of where other AC and DE blades get. (Like BBS below my sideburns after only two passes, instead of four...). However, I only made it two days in a row with a Pro Super before needing a break. I will go back to it and use a very shallow angle next time...

Caveats to all of the above: I've done a little over 200 DE shaves and 15 on the Vector, SB only. Also, YMMV.

:a21:

Following this with interest!

I am trying to put in words how I think the Vector differs from most DE shaves I've had so far. I think as far as ultimate closeness especially in easier-to-shave areas, I think DE razors/blades are still hard to beat. However, the Vector absolutely shines on harder areas (chin and neck), no contest. I think the Vector produces a more even shave result overall--less variation in closeness across all areas, as compared to DE. Finally, the Vector is far more comfortable and easier to use than most DE's for me.

I also find that changing AC blades makes a bigger difference than changing DE blades as far as shave closeness goes. A Pro Super in the Vector can be more than a full pass ahead of where other AC and DE blades get. (Like BBS below my sideburns after only two passes, instead of four...). However, I only made it two days in a row with a Pro Super before needing a break. I will go back to it and use a very shallow angle next time...

Caveats to all of the above: I've done a little over 200 DE shaves and 15 on the Vector, SB only. Also, YMMV.

:a21:
I think you did a fine job putting it into words!

Many great DEs and SEs out there, some come close, but none quite like the Vector. IMHO, it's an undisputed king of razors.

Give a shot to Feathe Pro Super, paired with the OC. Arguably, the closest shave ever, while super smooth at the same time.

Went back and revisited the Feather Pro today with the OC plate instead of the SB I used with it last time. Just like before I don’t find it to work all that well for me. Lots of tugging around the chin and goatee area. I swapped it out after the first pass and went back to the Protouch MG to finish out the shave.

So, I guess I have a pack of 19 Feather Pros if anyone wants to trade for Kai Pinks or Protouch MG.

A little late to the party on this but speaking of the Hawk. I have a V2 Hawk and its a pretty good razor its extremely light and handles almost like an injector razor. It will serve you well.

My first post here in a while.

I did get the Hawk 2.0 and have used it. You are right the head is very light and though I paired it with a RR stainless steel handle rather than the RR titanium handle. The length of the AC blade certainly changes the nature of the shave and I found the shaving angles coupled with the design to be something I had to adjust to. I did like the way a small twist of the handle can pivot the longer head of the razor. I did a few videos with the hawk 2.0 then moved onto the Feather SS AC folding razor. Then recent took off half a beard with the feather SS.

For me, the thickness of the artist club blade seems to require a more consistent shaving angle range and the hawk is certainly efficient.

Many great DEs and SEs out there, some come close, but none quite like the Vector. IMHO, it's an undisputed king of razors.

Give a shot to Feathe Pro Super, paired with the OC. Arguably, the closest shave ever, while super smooth at the same time.

Congrats Dave!!!

How long have you been using the Vector?

I enjoy the Feather Pro AC blades too!

Top Bottom