What's new

The Unofficial Holy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I scored a -33. But that's me, Mr. Vegas.

By the way, god himself has told me to add 67 points to my score for honesty, so that brings my total to +34, making me the winner.

I scored a -33. But that's me, Mr. Vegas.

By the way, god himself has told me to add 67 points to my score for honesty, so that brings my total to +34, making me the winner.

Crom dislikes math nerds and moves you to last place, where your lamentations mingle with those of the women.

ouch

Any worse, and you have to see Doug.

Well one day I was at home threatening the kids when I looks out through the hole in the wall and sees this tank pull up and out gets one of Dinsdale's boys, so he comes in nice and friendly and says Dinsdale wants to have a word with me, so he chains me to the back of the tank and takes me for a scrape round to Dinsdale's place and Dinsdale's there in the conversation pit with Doug and Charles Paisley, the baby crusher, and two film producers and a man they called 'Kierkegaard', who just sat there biting the heads of whippets and Dinsdale says 'I hear you've been a naughty boy Clement' and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out and I tell him my name's not Clement and then... he loses his temper and nails me head to the floor.

ouch

Well, I was terrified. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And yet one more reason we have this... :ouch1: ... as the "ouch1" smilie.

ouch

Everyone's terrified of Ian, too. He uses sarcasm. He knows all the tricks- dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes, and..... satire. He's vicious.

ouch

Litotes: expressing the affirmative by negating its opposite. I prefer it to the hackneyed and overused hyperbole.

eg: He's not a bad pitcher.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I was the first person to respond to this thing. But I didn't read all those words. I don't like to read that many words.

But I have an interesting picture here. It's Biblical. Does anyone understand this verse?

$bells holy to the Lord.jpg

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Has anyone looked up the records on Polluted?

He started here at Badger and Blade on August 23, 2015. He started 9 threads and got 251 responses! I think that is really good. I think that he is greatly helping Badger and Blade to be an interesting forum.

I was the first person to respond to this thing. But I didn't read all those words. I don't like to read that many words.

But I have an interesting picture here. It's Biblical. Does anyone understand this verse?

View attachment 609763

Well here is an explanation of the verse quoted with the necessary background info;

Zechariah has a vision of the ideal Messianic times, and, of course, as must necessarily be the case, his picture is painted with colours laid upon his palette by his experience, and he depicts that distant future in the guise suggested to him by what he saw around him. So we have to disentangle from his words the sentiment which he expresses, and to recognise the symbolic way in which he puts it. His thought is this,-the inscription on the high priest’s mitre will be written on the bells which ornament the harness of the horses, which in Israel were never used as with us, but only either for war or for pomp and display, and the use of which was always regarded with a certain kind of doubt and suspicion. Even these shall be consecrated in that far-off day.

And then he goes on with variations on the same air, ‘In that day there shall be upon the bells of the horses, "Holiness unto the Lord,"‘ and adds that ‘the pots in the Lord’s house’-the humble vessels that were used for the most ordinary parts of the Temple services-’shall be like the bowls before the altar,’ into which the sacred blood of the offerings was poured. The most external and secular thing bearing upon religion shall be as sacred as the sacredest. But that is not all. ‘Yea! every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts, and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them,’ and put their offerings therein. That is to say, the coarse pottery vessels that were in every poverty-stricken house in the city shall be elevated to the rank of the sacred vessels of the Temple. Domestic life with all its secularities shall be hallowed. The kitchens of Jerusalem shall be as truly places of worship as is the inner shrine of the Most High.

On the whole, the prophet’s teaching is that, in the ideal state of man upon earth, there will be an entire abolition of the distinction between ‘sacred’ and ‘secular’; a distinction that has wrought infinite mischief in the world, and in the lives of Christian people.

Let me translate these words of our prophet into English equivalents. Every cup and tumbler in a poor man’s kitchen may be as sacred as the communion chalice that passes from lip to lip with the ‘blood of Jesus Christ’ in it. Every common piece of service that we do, down among the vulgarities and the secularities and the meannesses of daily life, may be lifted up to stand upon precisely the same level as the sacredest office that we undertake. The bells of the horses may jingle to the same tune as the trumpets of the priests sounded within the shrine, and on all, great and small, may be written, ‘Holiness to the Lord.’

But let us remember that that universally diffused sanctity will need to have a centre of diffusion, else there will be no diffusion, and that all life will become sacred when the man that lives it has ‘Holiness to the Lord’ written on his forehead, and not else. If that be the inscription on the driver’s heart, the horses that he drives will have it written on their bells, but they will not have it unless it be. Holy men make all things holy. ‘To the pure all things are pure,’ but unto them that are unclean and disobedient there is nothing pure. Hallow thyself, and all things are clean unto thee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom