What's new

The unknown razor from Shanghai

Hello people of B&B!

I need your help to identify this razor from China. It is very important to me since it is my first safety razor that was passed down to me from my grandpa. It may not be the best razor in the world, but it is for me. It holds a lot of sentimental value, and I want to know more about its origin, manufacturing date, and design inspiration. I presume it is inspired by old vintage Gillette razors, but I don't have much knowledge about vintage razors.

If you want to know how it shaves, I can say that this is a well-performing razor. If you look at the attached photo, you will notice that there is a blade alignment issue, and you may even see that one part has more blade exposure than the other. These are factors that would make any shaver terrified to try this razor, and I myself was terrified at first. But fear not, this razor provides good and nick-free shaves. I hardly cut myself with this razor, and I have really comfortable shaves that are comparable to the comfort of a KCG but with way more efficiency. I really love this razor, and despite not using it as much anymore, I will probably give it a revamp and tune-up from Razor Emporium in the future. So let me know if the guys from Razor Emporium do a good job with their service since I have never dealt with them before.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 138
It has many names, but I call it the Weishi razor because that is the first branding I saw for it.

WEISHI Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Short Handle Reusable TTO Razor https://a.co/d/27jIrpj

The brand for yours is probably Flying Eagle.

Yes, I have seen the Weishi before and definitely see the resemblance, but Weishi is inspired by this razor, not the other way around. This razor belonged to my grandfather and is quite old, so it's likely that Weishi and other Chinese manufacturers copied its design. Moreover, it's possible that this razor itself drew inspiration from a vintage Gillette razor for its design.

Right. Like I said, Flying Eagle. It’s obviously inspired by the Super Speed.
I searched the web, and indeed, Flying Eagle seems to be an old brand of safety razors. There are some vintage razors made by them for sale on the web, but not exactly like mine, unfortunately. I would have loved to have another copy of it. Well, I guess I can just buy a WEISHI😂. Ah yes, the Super Speed. I have heard of it in the forum but never seen a picture of it. Now that I did, I can definitely see that it is the same head. Thanks for the help.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Marlin,

I happen to live in Shanghai!

Did a quick scan on Salted Fish (Chinese Ebay/Craiglist) and saw 6 of these for sale.

Flying Eagle, most likely from the 80's.

Prices between $12 and $30. Let me know if you want me to pick one up for you!

image_editor_1684735537398.jpgimage_editor_1684735570702.jpgimage_editor_1684735563674.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Can't find too much history, but I think Flying Eagles have been produced since 1960 by what is now known as the Shanghai Blade Factory Co., Ltd. The company still exists.

By 1992 they had ~70% market share in China.

In 1995 they formed a JV with Henckels to produce cutlery.

Since 2010, Flying Eagle is no longer a registered trade mark.

What happened after that I have no idea, but Flying Eagle blades are still made...by Gillette!

I've tried 3 of them:

Flying Eagle Platinum: Medium low on the sharpness scale, but very smooth
Flying Eagle Stainless: Almost Nacet sharp, but a bit rough
Flying Eagle Carbon Steel: Stay away, bottom tier, nuff said.

Hi Marlin,

Did a quick scan on Salted Fish (Chinese Ebay/Craiglist) and saw 6 of these for sale.

Wow, thank you for the offer but i was lucky and found one on Etsy for 30$ and from the photos seems in pristine condition. I hade never heard about salted fish what a funny name for a online store😂.
Can't find too much history, but I think Flying Eagles have been produced since 1960 by what is now known as the Shanghai Blade Factory Co., Ltd. The company still exists.

By 1992 they had ~70% market share in China.

In 1995 they formed a JV with Henckels to produce cutlery.

Since 2010, Flying Eagle is no longer a registered trade mark.

What happened after that I have no idea, but Flying Eagle blades are still made...by Gillette!

I've tried 3 of them:

Flying Eagle Platinum: Medium low on the sharpness scale, but very smooth
Flying Eagle Stainless: Almost Nacet sharp, but a bit rough
Flying Eagle Carbon Steel: Stay away, bottom tier, nuff said.
Thank you a lot for the History lesson, is really hard to find information about this stuff. You made me curios now about the blades, more unobtainable blades in my bucket list. I already am looking like crazy on the web trying to find a way to get my hands on some gillette super thin mejorada, now the flying eagle will give me sleepless nights haunting me in my dreams😩.

lasta

Blade Biter
Wow, thank you for the offer but i was lucky and found one on Etsy for 30$ and from the photos seems in pristine condition. I hade never heard about salted fish what a funny name for a online store😂.

Thank you a lot for the History lesson, is really hard to find information about this stuff. You made me curios now about the blades, more unobtainable blades in my bucket list. I already am looking like crazy on the web trying to find a way to get my hands on some gillette super thin mejorada, now the flying eagle will give me sleepless nights haunting me in my dreams😩.
Don't bother looking, you'll get your chance to try these very soon. I can't say anymore without treading into insider information territory.

I searched the web, and indeed, Flying Eagle seems to be an old brand of safety razors. There are some vintage razors made by them for sale on the web, but not exactly like mine, unfortunately. I would have loved to have another copy of it. Well, I guess I can just buy a WEISHI😂. Ah yes, the Super Speed. I have heard of it in the forum but never seen a picture of it. Now that I did, I can definitely see that it is the same head. Thanks for the help.
Here are a few pictures of Super Speeds made in the 1950's:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hi Marlin,

View attachment 1658207View attachment 1658208View attachment 1658209
I have such a razor. In a terrible condition, from the 70s and it was called 'Seagull.' Not an eagle, but still a bird :letterk1:. Obviously, the manufacturer has a special love for feathered creatures)

PXL_20240218_145028168.MP.jpgPXL_20240218_145044811.MP~2.jpgPXL_20240218_145059070.MP~2.jpgPXL_20240218_145112012.MP~2.jpg
I found a photo with the packaging online:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 132647.png

I have such a razor. In a terrible condition, from the 70s and it was called 'Seagull.' Not an eagle, but still a bird :letterk1:. Obviously, the manufacturer has a special love for feathered creatures)

View attachment 1804155View attachment 1804156View attachment 1804157View attachment 1804158
I found a photo with the packaging online:
View attachment 1804160
To use it this razor is even worse than it looks in the pictures!

I have it too,one of the first razors bought for 5€.

Top Bottom