What's new

The under $10 restoration challenge.

P

Pjotr

That's what I thought on the $20 challenge in the other section! But I went to a second hand shop and found two for $10 each. Admittedly they were ones the dealer considered pieces of @#$!, but that is the point. Hit the junkier "antique" shops and ask if they have anything "unrestored". There is a good chance they have a draw full of rusty ones with broken scales which they have not had time to do anything with. The funny thing is, the ones which I got for $10 I would consider in much better condition than the ones the shop was selling for $40-$50. Those ones had less rust and cleaner scales, but a lot more hone wear and edge damage. Dealers often have no idea and they will charge less for the razor just because it is not as shiny.

Forget ebay if you are in Australia (unless you buy a lot, like Harvitz81 suggested). Go to a shop and say "do you have any rusty old razors I can buy for cheap because I want to practice my restoration work?"
Tell them about this challenge if you want to. Many, I'm sure, will be happy to take your shiny $10 note in exchange for the potential tetanus infection they have had in the draw for years, and have been too lazy to clean themselves.

Thanks legion, but I think I might stay clear of straights until I've got a few other ADs under control. The lure is there as I've got a bit of a fetish for sharpening things.

Legion

Staff member
Ok. Maybe we can be a bit flexible on the postage. The spirit of the game is to get the cheapest razor you can find. One that nobody else wants, and fix it up so it will be loved again. If the postage puts it a bit over $10, well, so be it.

Okay, I'm in. This looks like fun. And thanks for the invite, Legion.

Here's some pics I took before I even wiped down the blade on my $10 beauty.

proxy.php

I got this in 2008 for $10, and it's just been sitting in my closet ever since. This will be my very first straight razor of any kind.

I've just been on Gillette FatBoys and SuperSpeeds up until now.

This should be fun.

I'm in! If I can find a suitable razor. (Legion, don't be surprised if you get another one of my usual PM's asking lot's of how to questions. :001_smile)

Im in!!! I found this cut little razor for $5 at a flea market. (Nashville TN) . It is THE M A B RD. razor. (Google it!) It is considered a dwarf razor. It looks about 2/3 the size of normal razors. I started to buff the blade a little, but, I want to take it apart, buff etc. and such. Im trying to figure out where to find handle scales. Not sure if I want to go bone, stag, or carbon fiber or acrylic. I have never restored a razor before.
I want to use it. Cant wait! (Although, I am waiting to find some more tools (scroll or band saw) and sander. ) Gotta love c-list! :thumbup1:

(Although, I am waiting to find some more tools (scroll or band saw) and sander. ) Gotta love c-list! :thumbup1:

I have a scroll saw but would recommend getting a band saw if you have the choice and the price works and stuff... Scroll saw has a short blade that heats up when cutting acrylic/plastic, a band saw has more time too cool off before it comes back around. Also I haven't tried rigging up a ripping fence to cut blanks down to scale thickness.

I have a scroll saw but would recommend getting a band saw if you have the choice and the price works and stuff... Scroll saw has a short blade that heats up when cutting acrylic/plastic, a band saw has more time too cool off before it comes back around. Also I haven't tried rigging up a ripping fence to cut blanks down to scale thickness.

+1 on the band saw. I picked my scroll saw up on the cheap ($50 on craigslist for an old dremel brand). It is a great saw, but I'm already looking to get a bandsaw.

Like was said, the bandsaw blade has more time to cool while cutting acrylic. Plus I want the ripping fence as I want to start buying some wood and other big blanks to try my hand at new scales material.

One word of advice - Don't try and cut G10 with either a bandsaw or scroll saw unless you have deep pockets. G10 will destroy blades faster than anything. Use a coping saw and save some money.

Thank you for the info! that makes scents. I will have to keep an eye out!

So with the rules slightly relaxed, I do not feel too bad about giving this a try. I 'll soon add a pic of the $15.00 razor I won and recived from ebay today. As a newbie, spotting me the extra five will not be too much of a stretch.

It needs new scales, but the blade looks to be in pretty good shape. Hopefully, I can rework it into my new best razor.

Right now all I have is a whipped dog, that does not look much better than this one, but is much, much sharper.

Joe

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
So, I was thinking of doing a pic or jig bone handle or I REALLY like the transparent to black horn handles. Does anyone know where to find some blank horn material?

Here is my $9 W&B cleaver. 7/8 at the point, 6/8 at the heel and in not too bad shape. I'm going to call it a near wedge, to my eye it looks like a wedge, but the hone wear makes me think it's ever so slightly hollowed. I got it on eBay way back in the middle of December, but it just showed up last night.

proxy.php

Shipping put it over the $10, but the blade itself was under so I'm throwing it in the pot here.

Here is my $9 W&B cleaver. 7/8 at the point, 6/8 at the heel and in not too bad shape. I'm going to call it a near wedge, to my eye it looks like a wedge, but the hone wear makes me think it's ever so slightly hollowed. I got it on eBay way back in the middle of December, but it just showed up last night.

proxy.php

Shipping put it over the $10, but the blade itself was under so I'm throwing it in the pot here.

Nice Blade! I recently did one almost identical and here is how it turned out. Was quite the shaver (before I sold it :blushing:)

proxy.php

I know it's kinda late to join this challenge, but I just got this for $6 (was asking $10 :tongue_sm) and I've never done anything like this before, but here goes!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Was that too many pictures? lol

Top Bottom