What's new

The twenty became just five, for now

Our Mariner's Coffee Mug click here.

There were only five that ending up being presentable when removed from the kiln. It was disappointing but having a small business can be that way sometimes. In a few weeks we hope to have more in stock. For now, this will have to do, while they last. And yes, we love how these five turned out and see them being the ideal gift for somebody who is hard to buy for. After use, many volunteers reported feeling the urge to use the word, "Matey" and to curl their lip at times and say, "Arghhhh..." :wink2:
IMG_5797.jpg

Any chance the unpresentable ones will be offered up? I would like to support your business, but really don't need any more mugs. I have my graduate college mugs in force. However, I would be willing to purchase an unpresentable Captain's mug just to have one on hand.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m curious if the ones that didn’t make it are trash or can they be recycled somehow?

Any chance the unpresentable ones will be offered up? I would like to support your business, but really don't need any more mugs. I have my graduate college mugs in force. However, I would be willing to purchase an unpresentable Captain's mug just to have one on hand.
Actually not, we decided for the Mariner's Mug to not have any "seconds" out there. I can assure you they were frightful looking - just in time for Halloween I guess. This whole world of pottery is truly an art with variables that it seems you manage but are not quite in control of.

I’m curious if the ones that didn’t make it are trash or can they be recycled somehow?
They are trashed, unfortunately.

They have to air dry for a week. If they are not right at that stage they can be recycled and are. Next is the bisque firing at which time they emerge from the kiln an off cream color, kind of an odd tone. The bisque firing is to remove any last vestige of moisture.

Lastly, they are dipped in glaze and fired again. A piece can be dipped in glaze and set aside for a few minutes. Then dipped again and placed into the kiln - so it was dipped twice. But not for every glaze. And not on Tuesday. Oh, and where the pieces are located in the kiln matter too since some spots in the kiln are hotter than others. That affects if the pieces will be matte or glossy. It makes me want to check the weather - "Wait, it is getting cloudy - is that still okay?" :blink: It is enough for me to reach for aspirin and I am so thankful that we have an expert potter who can divine how to deliver a great product.

So as the glazes are dialed in, notes are taken as to what combination of variables work with each glaze and waste drops off. Production runs are consistent and predictable. That is the goal and it is achievable, it just takes patience. It also helps to have a brown paper bag for The Captain to breathe into: Christmas is coming, and soon...

That’s a bummer they can’t be turned to dust and reused.
Well, I will double check but that is my understanding.

If you think that is painful I spent four and a half months - every day - trying to come up with my first aftershave, Bay Rum. Every day I was pouring alcohol down the drain. And yet, it was worth it.

So it is a shame about waste but it can lead to products that are well received.

Product formulas are very much a science. Pottery is absolutely an art and I am no artist so I find someone who is and then join them on the journey of uncertainty as batches come out of the kiln. Mind you, most of our glazes are reliable and we have batches that are consistent. But not always. So each load is approached with apprehension and bated breath, fingers crossed.

That’s a bummer they can’t be turned to dust and reused.

I did double check. Once the clay dries and then goes into the bisque firing at that point it vitrifies and can never return to clay. It is closer to glass or stone rather than clay at that point. There presently is no process for adding ceramic to what is recycled like paper, plastic, metal, etc.

To give it context, you can have a pile of finished pottery - say a hundred pounds. Out of that there may have been 5-10 pounds of waste in a bad batch. In a good batch there may only be 1-5 pounds. So you can see it is very manageable and minimized as much as humanly possible.

Top Bottom