What's new

The TSA confiscated my razor blade

Believe or not, I'm one of the few that check online to make sure my carry-on items can actually be carried onboard my flights. I'm heading to St. Louis, MO this past weekend and I'm going through security. Some how, my bag gets flagged and the security guys is asking if I want to claim anything now. Having no idea that my "safety razor" was flagged, I was confident everything was just a misunderstanding. The guy opens my bag and completely disasterizes my belongings only to ask about my razor. "Sir, do you have a straight razor in here?" It's so obvious that one is loaded, but what was of more concern is, the guy is lumping straights in with DE blades. One could make the argument that a plane could be hijacked with a straight razor, but a DE razor.... C'Mon.

The end of my story concludes with having to surrender the blade. Show up in St. Louis for 4 days with the possibility of not being able to shave. Luckily, I found a drug store, but all of this non-sense was a recipe for disaster. Just keep in mind that TSA is still overly cautious when it comes to carry on items.

You had blades in your carry-on?

+1.

Everybody knows you can't take a DE blade onto a plane.

I thought you were going to say that the guy took your razor even though it wasn't loaded with a blade. THAT would have been an outrage.

If he pulled your razor out a checked bag and threw the blade away, that's a little crazy, too. But if you tried to board a plane with a loaded DE razor, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Had a similar situation with an UNLOADED tech last year at Melbourne Aurport. Carry-on luggage, my dopp kit with empty tech, brush etc and they held me up until minutes before I boarded making me take apart the razor. First and last time. Now I just carry a cart and I never get flagged...

You mean to say that they confiscated the DE razor blade and let you keep the empty DE razor?

If so, you might want to revise the thread title.

Even when you follow the TSA rules, you hope that the employees on duty know and understand the rules and are in a good mood.
If any one of these three conditions aren't met, then it's a crap shoot.

Last edited:
+1.

I think it's luck of the draw. I once went through three airports with a bayonet that was buried in the bottom of one of my bug out bags. I honestly had no idea it was there; even after living out of the bag for a week. On my trip home I got flagged and they took it. Some TSA agent now has a piece of the Afghan war in their house and I'm out one bayonet.

Was flying last week -- first time since taking up DE shaving. Brought four razors (no blades) so I could teach my dad, uncle and cousin and set them up with the basics. Made the mistake of burying razors in my bag. TSA flagged it and searched the bag, going through all my stuff. At the end of the day, no harm (except that I don't like strangers touching my underwear). On the way back, I pulled the remaining razors (uncle and cousin were not interested), opened the heads and left them in the grey tray next to my shoes. They sailed right through.

+1.

I thought you were going to say that the guy took your razor even though it wasn't loaded with a blade. THAT would have been an outrage.

If he pulled your razor out a checked bag and threw the blade away, that's a little crazy, too. But if you tried to board a plane with a loaded DE razor, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

I have the answer for that.... I refuse to travel by plane! The wife and I travel; vacation...etc...via Motorhome! I can pack any dammed thing I want...and DO!...:biggrin:

A friend's little brother just started at TSA... He said razor blades are one of the first things they told him about, as it's one of the most common questions, and one of the most frequent confiscations.

Don't worry, their leaving the confines of the airports and heading to every NFL stadium this year too. Next year it will be bus stations, train stations, malls, highways etc etc.....but it's all for our safety, and I'm all for that!!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
$tsa.jpg

When I fly, I don't take blades, and I actually leave the razor disassembled. I've traveled with a feather portable, broken down and in it's little plastic case. I don't think they know what it is.

Top Bottom