What's new

The Trophy Room~Post your hunting photos here.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Welllll kadoodles! Went out in the fading light just for a quick recon (something is digging in my yard). It just rained and as I walked under a big pine I heard water droplets falling. Head went up and there he was. Rifle went up and I broke the shot. He fell to earth from about 40 feet and landed with a thud! I though for sure he was done but I was wrong. Started moving and I though the better of a second shot with all the decorative rock and vehicles in close proximity. I can't imagine Mr. Tree Rat is feeling 100% and the 3rd shift will finish what I started but I really hoped to have a pic of dinner for ya'll. Now that I know they are danger close again I'm sure there will be photos soon!

I'm not sure, but something tells me that this is nikonNUT heading out to "manage" the tree rat population around his estate..lol

download (1).jpg

nikonNUT

Got two lone star squirrels. The grays are about the same size as their Artie cousins and the reds are HUGE! Actually proud of these as there was no bird seed or siding to lure them in. 🤣 Just slow hunting and watching!
29BF4555-DF59-432F-9C03-C526B732A338.jpeg

19D97D95-D22A-4172-A2C2-885786FEBC4B.jpeg

nikonNUT

First with the TX22 and first with a pistol period! Like the no magnification thing. Gonna try again for sure! Lousy shot by the way...
1stwithpistol.jpg

BTW... Is it ominous that I tracked her down by her mating call in late October?!? That's 3 to 5 months late...

Last edited:
First with the TX22 and first with a pistol period! Like the no magnification thing. Gonna try again for sure! Lousy shot by the way...
View attachment 1351616
BTW... Is it ominous that I tracked her down by her mating call in late October?!? That's 3 to 5 months
If the predicted food shortages hit, looks like it's gonna be squirrel in a delicious acorn and wine reduction at your place
Bbq Sauce GIF by Sonny's BBQ

Save me the neck!

nikonNUT

If the predicted food shortages hit, looks like it's gonna be squirrel in a delicious acorn and wine reduction at your place
Bbq Sauce GIF by Sonny's BBQ's BBQ

Save me the neck!
Will do! Now you know one of the reasons I want to go on a Bison hunt. A meat hunt is $2500 and an 1100 pound critter will yield about 600 pounds of meat. That's less than right at $4.00/pound! Beats Wal-Mart meat prices by a mile and I love Bison. Sounds like a slam dunk to me!

That would be a slam dunk for sure!!!
I would imagine being wild, grass-fed and absent of antibiotics etc.. that the sweet bread and brains would be a part of the meat haul as well !?

Last edited:

nikonNUT

That would be a slam dunk for sure!!!
I would imagine being wild, grass-fed and absent of antibiotics etc.. that the sweet bread and brains would be a part of the meat haul as well !?
One would hope! The part that has me drooling is all that marrow!!! Might be a bugger to spit the bones but so much goodness!

nikonNUT

And #39 in the freezer. Not sure if it's the leaves falling off the trees or them getting closer (and wondering why the VIP entrance to the house is blocked off) but I'm seeing more of the little buggers!
#39.jpg

At 28 years of age I finally got my first deer. I took over a decade off hunting and finally got back to it this year in the pursuit of meat for the family.

Shot with a Mossberg 500 at 85 yards.

He was big for a 3 pointer and I am beyond happy to provide for the family!

IMG_7186.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My nephew just sent me a picture of the nice young buck he shot yesterday for the winter meat.

~120 yards. Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua, 200 grain Hornady SST at ~3200fps. The entrance is just behind the eye.

e7a28f11de2ae674806710dd38cfcfff4a54eadf.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At 28 years of age I finally got my first deer. I took over a decade off hunting and finally got back to it this year in the pursuit of meat for the family.

Shot with a Mossberg 500 at 85 yards.

He was big for a 3 pointer and I am beyond happy to provide for the family!

View attachment 1363769

Congrats! :cheerful: Now for deer chili, deer steaks ...

What kind of slug? What kind of groups you getting? I see the scope.

AA

nikonNUT

I'm amazed the head is still intact! At a 120 yards the bullet whizzing by should have been enough to induce a brain bleed! Question.... What does the other side look like <eewww>? :lol:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
:cuppa: I'll use my old hunter skills to extrapolate that it didn't run very far ...
As Ross Seyfried once said "It ran three feet, straight down." My nephew said its head hit the snow before its body. He doesnt like shooting them where theres any chance of wasting meat. He remembers when he was little and my mother roasting and eating an entire neck. Its now his favorite part, very lean and tender.

I'm amazed the head is still intact! At a 120 yards the bullet whizzing by should have been enough to induce a brain bleed! Question.... What does the other side look like <eewww>? :lol:
He said he could fit 4 fingers in the exit.

Years ago, I shot a 350lb Black bear at 40 yards with the same rifle, it was mine for many years, I think I bought it in 1995. I hit it tight behind the left shoulder with a 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip which was a new bullet on the market at the time, that I had worked up a load for at 3500fps. At the shot that bear jumped straight up, turned 180, ran for the road and as soon as his feet hit the gravel he turned around and ran back to the bush. I shot again just grazing his chest and took two claws off the right front foot and left a hairless line across his chest. That bear went 75 yards and would have outrun any jackrabbit alive. The bullet broke 4 ribs on the way in and didnt exit. The entire chest cavity was a congealed mass of black blood. It did to a 350lb Black bear what a .22-250 does to a woodchuck.

Tell yer nephew not a terrible shot if he was aiming for his eyeball.....
It depends on the angle. Hitting the eyeball on the angle he was shooting would have just taken off the front of its face. It landed where he meant it to. That rifle is accurate and so is he. This picture from when he was sighting in at 100m.

2011-07-09 14.03.57.jpg

And .338 Lapua is up there with .50 BMG, at least to me ... some fairly *serious* hunting going on there.
They hunt firebreaks up there in the bush in northern Alberta so you never know how far anything will be when it comes out of the bush. With the Lapua, it doesnt matter. The Moose hunt from the year before last below. They havent gotten a tag the last two years.

9622f0e2fb895259fd3e9bad30f9b630d3bcedc5.jpg

Top Bottom