What's new

The Trophy Room~Post your hunting photos here.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
That's no small feat with a 22!
He must have been an urban groundhog lol, it's a chore to get inside 100 yards on the wiley country one’s around here lol...
Heh! Thanks! I was looking for grays and crept up to a hickory tree I use as a brace/to break up my silhouette. Brought the rifle up and thought “Is that a beaver?” Then it clicked and I took the shot.I wouldn’t have though it possible if I hadn’t just done it. Spent my formative years in PA and would hear hushed (almost reverent) talk of taking chucks at 400 yards and further out.

Last edited:
Around here it used to be very very popular, it was almost like trying to secure a plot of land to deer hunt on. My dad would even hunt farms of friends and family in neighboring counties, of course I was almost always along for the ride since about the age of 5 or so.
I learned right away that it's nearly impossible to get close to a groundhog in a wide open 250 acre bean or clover field lol..
Today I mostly hunt family land as most of the land I used to hunt has changed hands or has been parcelled out to build homes on.

nikonNUT

And the drought is over. I “thought” maybe they were getting wise to my tactics but birdseed makes ‘em dumb! 🤣
5E83B55D-AE8F-478A-89FB-BF95B73E0716.jpeg

BTW The CCI sub sonic HP 22s hit hard!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Was headed out the door this morning and a mistake was made. He moved and I saw him. Ran back in the house and grabbed the rifle. Nothing like a morning quickie to start things off right!
E4D2EF02-5262-40E6-B228-D776007A6150.jpeg

nikonNUT

Still not learning…
A0D4B53A-5BCD-4A9B-8303-31A6517202D1.jpeg

FBFC30DB-F865-47FF-9C8A-9085E25044DC.jpeg

And I am absolutely AMAZED by these CCi sub-sonic HPs. It’s like they have been hit by lightning! Anyways, that’s #29 and 30. The house is much quieter!

nikonNUT

Well, I got two more today. The first one was feeling cocky I guess. I drew down on him and had a dud. Worked the bolt while watching him like a hawk, got my bead and done the deed…
8312E5C2-AD3A-4885-882C-8A3EDACA01C4.jpeg

The second one was scurrying around in a Hickory tree and I popped as I saw him move thru an opening in the leaves. It was a bad shot that caught him between the fore legs and exited behind the right shoulder. He took off like a shot and I moved to follow but he ran straight at me and expired at my feet! As an aside, I have heard of the dominant males “barring” lesser males but never saw it until today…
276FEDD5-FDE4-4D93-96B8-184C3B034439.jpeg

Top Bottom