What's new

The Traveling Journal

Hello all,

I am going to start a traveling journal very shortly. This journal will be a way of us NIB enthusiasts to share our penmanship as well as a bit of our personalities. This is how I intend for it to work (open to suggestions):

You will make an entry in the journal (as brief or as descriptive as you like, just please don't completely fill the journal). Write about your day, what makes you happy, your goals and aspirations, a short poem, or just introduce yourself to everyone. You could even tape-in a picture or small newspaper clipping if you wish. Whatever gets you excited about writing, just do that! Once you are finished with your entry, take a picture of yourself with the journal somewhere interesting or just a place you enjoy and then post the picture here in this thread (highly encourage, but not required). Your posted picture will serve as a notification to everyone that the journal has completed it's visit with you and you're ready to ship it on to the next recipient. Once the next recipient is identified, PM them for their address and ship the journal (it will be a simple A-5 size journal, shipping will be extremely affordable). It's as simple as that! At the end of a journal's travels (when it's full) please return it to me, as I am quite eager to view all of the entries myself, and I will send a new one onto the next user. I will also be more than willing to send the filled journals to anyone who wishes to read them, just please return them to me once you are finished. This should be a wonderfully fun and enjoyable experience for all those who choose to enter!

A few members: @mio_cuggino, @Villalobos, and @Heckle have already expressed interest in this. Therefore; respectfully, they will be placed at the top of the list. I will generate said list once I have completed my entry and posted my pic with the journal.

If you are interested and wish to get in on the traveling journal, just post "I'M IN."

Warm Regards,
John A Treadway

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a great idea, I am not in as I am not in the US but as I said, it is a great idea.

I'm in.

As a suggestion: after the first journal is full, and if it's the same cost to ship, send it along with the second journal. That way participants can see what's been written in the past.

Another suggestion: use a shared spreadsheet with three (or four) fields - B&B username, date r'cvd, date sent (and optional city/state). Allow participants to sign up, and if they want to make a second entry later sign up again after the list has grown. Once a user receives the journal, he msg's the next on the list to get the mailing info for when he is done. Might also want to set a time limit on how long a waiting period between journal r'cvd and the next address is r'cvd before the next person on the list is contacted to keep things moving.

I'm in.

As a suggestion: after the first journal is full, and if it's the same cost to ship, send it along with the second journal. That way participants can see what's been written in the past.

Another suggestion: use a shared spreadsheet with three (or four) fields - B&B username, date r'cvd, date sent (and optional city/state). Allow participants to sign up, and if they want to make a second entry later sign up again after the list has grown. Once a user receives the journal, he msg's the next on the list to get the mailing info for when he is done. Might also want to set a time limit on how long a waiting period between journal r'cvd and the next address is r'cvd before the next person on the list is contacted to keep things moving.

Thanks for your interest as well as your input. The second (third/fourth/etc.) journal will travel with the first until the thread has lost all its momentum, at which time I will ask that the journals are returned to me for archiving. I’m not quite savvy enough on here to do a spreadsheet, I had just planned on posting a basic list of screen names and updating as the journal was passed on as well as when newcomers signed-up. This will be kicking off shortly, so if you feel so inclined you are more than welcome to create the list.

Just a thought, on the heels of what @ajkel64 wrote...
Would this be open to anyone in the world, or would there be shipping restrictions?
I believe that it would be much easier on everyone to limit this pass around to CONUS-only. I cannot expect anyone who participates to spend $25+ for shipping as well as go through the customs paperwork. Perhaps if it gains more attention and everyone is agreeable to the shipping costs, then International shipping could be re-considered (as I would love to see the journal travel the world).

I believe that it would be much easier on everyone to limit this pass around to CONUS-only. I cannot expect anyone who participates to spend $25+ for shipping as well as go through the customs paperwork. Perhaps if it gains more attention and everyone is agreeable to the shipping costs, then International shipping could be re-considered (as I would love to see the journal travel the world).

That's understandable. And I am glad it's clarified.
Then, regretfully, I too must decline.
I'm subscribed to the thread. I'm looking forward to the photos.

That's understandable. And I am glad it's clarified.
Then, regretfully, I too must decline.
I'm subscribed to the thread. I'm looking forward to the photos.

I would love for you to have the opportunity to participate, it seems to be something you're very interested in. So when this starts to lose steam (as there are only so many people who pay attention to the NIB) I would be glad to front the shipping to get the journal/s to you. I would only ask that you return it once finished.

Maybe if we could get specific cost on shipping to members not CONUS, there would be interest in sending for entries only, probably not the pass around after filled. I am willing to send it international. I PIF’d some things to Singapore and it was around $23. Anyway my point is if the international recipient is willing to ship it to the next recipient, I will spend $25 to ship, in order to get some international perspective. Maybe some info on local pricing on commodities such as milk, gas etc.. in the journal. Hopefully more members get interested. C’mon folks it’s a chance to use your fountain pens!!!

@mio_cuggino, @Villalobos, @Heckle, @Billski, @ajkel64, @r0ckrat...

I am fine with shipping internationally, on Average international shipping via USPS will start at about $25 USD (for a basic 4x10 or 8x11 padded envelope). Before I make any more claims as to wether we are gonna do this local or internationally-

I need everyone’s consent. I think that it most certainly would be much more fun and it would add much more perspective to have the journal travel the world.

Does everyone consent to pay international shipping (if necessary), when it comes your turn to take possession of the journal? I need everyone to please respond with YES or NO. And please try to respond as soon as possible as I would like to get the journal on the road within the next week or so.

It has begun! Here’s the journal’s first stop- the New River Gorge Bridge of Fayetteville, WV. It’s the western hemsphere’s longest steel arch bridge (the longest and tallest steel arch bridge in the United States)! Completed in October 1977, the NRG bridge draws millions of visitors a year to it’s gorgeous views and astonishing feat of civil engineering. I grew up, attended school, and currently live within 15 mins. from this big beauty.

75CD1B9B-3F54-4E05-AE91-95C5D7855553.jpeg

Here’s the journal at the bridge:
2FBFAC4B-AA7C-4672-84F5-0C5EBE78F033.jpeg

519A465F-0175-410E-8FC5-EBE1A9AD698E.jpeg

And a similar perspective of the bridge prior to it’s completion...
3ED7A4A8-8BF7-43E8-BCD1-FC2D5DE6B0B8.jpeg

Lastly, the bridge (and over a dozen other WV landmarks) will be featured in the Nov. 14th Bethesda release of the best selling video game Fallout 76.
6B010336-8AA8-44F2-B21B-9D8DE07427B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 4698C00F-1CEF-47D3-AFC9-292BF321DA01.jpeg
    4698C00F-1CEF-47D3-AFC9-292BF321DA01.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Get ready gents! As soon as I get an address from @mio_cuggino , the journal will be on it's way to stop #2. This was enormously fun. Of course the traveling and picture taking was fun, but writing down some thoughts, ideas, etc. to share with you was also quite satisfying. I wish that everyone has as much fun as I did with the journal!

Top Bottom