What's new

The Trafalgar has landed!!!

Someone said the Trafalgar 1 fits in the small Simpsons travel case- the one designed for the Classic 1, Duke 1, and the Case. Is it true? Will the T1 fit in the small tube?
Just tried it and it's a bit tight for comfort, I'm afraid. While it does technically fit into the tube, a tuft of hairs pokes out of the hole on top of the tube, and I have to tug on the knot fairly hard to get the brush out as it's such a tight fit. YMMV but I wouldn't be comfortable using the small Simpson travel case regularly for my T1.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
T
Just tried it and it's a bit tight for comfort, I'm afraid. While it does technically fit into the tube, a tuft of hairs pokes out of the hole on top of the tube, and I have to tug on the knot fairly hard to get the brush out as it's such a tight fit. YMMV but I wouldn't be comfortable using the small Simpson travel case regularly for my T1.
Thanks!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Today was my first shave with my Simpson Trafalgar T1. It is now officially my second favorite brush. The Omega Evo is the reigning King. Second place out of about a hundred brushes is pretty darn good. The fibers aren't the top of the line synthetic fibers from Simpson, but like my Omega Evo it has a more natural exfoliating feel. The knot is tight, but as you can see it has a very rounded bulb. The fibers spread quite nicely to the black band where it's pretty tight. This gives a pleasant amount of splay without it losing the accuracy of small brushes. I don't get product going where it isn't wanted, and it covers areas quite adequately. When painting with the brush the top of the bulb forms a very nice tip for areas like sideburns. Nice brush.

Here is my new Simpson Trafalgar T1. :001_wub: Specifications: Overall brush height - 82mm Handle height - 40mm Knot loft - 42mm Knot diameter - 23mm. It's small!
003_18.jpg

For comparison: Omega New Bigger Bambino, Simpson Trafalgar T1, Omega Mighty Midget
005_18.jpg

Received my T2 last week. Have only shaved twice with it. Very different from my well broken-in Omega boar.

I hope to have my technique dialed-in with this brush soon.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Received my T2 last week. Have only shaved twice with it. Very different from my well broken-in Omega boar.

I hope to have my technique dialed-in with this brush soon.
Here's a hint if you face lather. Don't soak the brush. Dip the brush in water about half way to the knot and give it a gentle shake or two. Then load. Add water to the tips, as need, until you get the lather to the consistency that you require.

Here's a hint if you face lather. Don't soak the brush. Dip the brush in water about half way to the knot and give it a gentle shake or two. Then load. Add water to the tips, as need, until you get the lather to the consistency that you require.

Perfect. Thank you.

I face lather. With the boar, getting a good lather was second nature as I've been using it for several years.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here's is my new Simpson Trafalgar T3:
001_18.jpg

Here it is side by side with my Omega Evo:
004_18.jpg

I haven't used it once but I love the dry feel of the fibers. It feels so dense and luxurious. I love this brush already. Will it upset my Omega Evo as my favorite brush? We'll see.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
@Cesare my friend, unfortunately I can confirm the Omega Evo brush will not withstand a landing onto a tile floor from a height of one meter.

It happened on the very first outting. Following tears and a tantrum in the fetal position, was able to extract the knot and remount in a custom handle.

Very soft, yet not floppy.

Attachments

• 2D39C11A-0076-4D73-84E8-00274CDFC75C.jpeg
    2D39C11A-0076-4D73-84E8-00274CDFC75C.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 33
  • D8BC233D-A782-4325-9645-79F8B8F4EA53.jpeg
    D8BC233D-A782-4325-9645-79F8B8F4EA53.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 32

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The T3 is my favourite synthetic brush, it has the right size handle and the fibres have soft tips but the right amount of backbone for me

@Cesare my friend, unfortunately I can confirm the Omega Evo brush will not withstand a landing onto a tile floor from a height of one meter.

It happened on the very first outting. Following tears and a tantrum in the fetal position, was able to extract the knot and remount in a custom handle.

Very soft, yet not floppy.
Sorry about that, Doug!

Looking from the "half full glass" perspective, I have a soft spot for wooden handles. When my T2 fell, the first thought was to replace it, because of the dent. After a (short) while, I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope that's the fate of your custom EVO! A blessing in disguise!

By the way, how do you like the brush?!

PS. I've said it here: resistance to a fall should be on every manufacturer's priority list.

Here's is my new Simpson Trafalgar T3:
View attachment 1338636

Here it is side by side with my Omega Evo:
View attachment 1338639
I haven't used it once but I love the dry feel of the fibers. It feels so dense and luxurious. I love this brush already. Will it upset my Omega Evo as my favorite brush? We'll see.
I know I speak for a lot of us here: let us know how it fares against the EVO.

I like to compare things in terms pf plane seats: is it a cabin to business class difference? Or is it a narrower margin, a business to first? Or simply an aisle x window seat, both in business?

Higher end synthetic is ~ an oxymoron. With Simpson synthetics, you’re paying for the brand, not the actual brush.
I’m not an expert on synthetics, but If you compare against the load of Chinese stuff out there, yes, but the Omega Evo and the larger Muhle and EJ STFs are not significantly cheaper than the Simpson’s Chubby 2 synthetic.
The knots alone on these brushes sell for $25-35 on maggards, and I’d bet they are machine-made (well technically not the same knots, but similar fibers made in Germany)

Now, The Trafalgar series costs $20-30 with handmade knots and handles.

Therefore, I think Simpson’s understood the market for synthetics requires more affordable products and are as competitive as they can be, especially on the Trafalgar series. You don’t pay only for the Simpson’s brand, but also for a brush hand made in the UK with local expensive labor and with more premium fibers than the average plissoft or tuxedo

…especially on the Trafalgar series. You don’t pay only for the Simpson’s brand, but also for a brush hand made in the UK with local expensive labor and with more premium fibers than the average plissoft or tuxedo.

I have a T2. I find it to be scritchy, lacking the soft luxurious face feel as some of my other synthetics, including a Mühle Vivo and the PAAs below. The Peregrino is my all around workhorse. The Phantom, with its fan shaped 26 mm knot, is best at face lathering. The Rocket is a lather monster, best for hard, thirsty soaps. While not as well rounded, the Solar Flare beats them all in the looks department.

It’s hard to imagine better performance than these PAA brushes. At $20 a piece, they are an absolute bargain.

IMG_3144.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
By the way, how do you like the brush?
Since synthetic bristles don’t absorb water, I got an Evo as a travel brush. Problem is we seldom stay in the same place for more than one night. Left sink-side for just a few hours and it dries. But the dense Evo knot can’t when packed away wet into a travel tube for a day’s drive to the next destination.

Until the Evo, my experience was limited to natural fibers. While I love the lavish softness of the Evo’s dense knot, I miss the backbone, face massage, and lather-bomb qualities of my Zenith boar.

I’ll likely find a less dense synthetic or boar for our style of travel. Maybe something with a wood or aluminum handle to survive the fall. But my nitpicking based on travel style and skin feel preferences shouldn’t tarnish the Evo’s well deserved reputation as a top shelf brush.

F6A0B4BA-B22C-46C8-B15B-B26ADBCDE54A.jpeg

Top Bottom