What's new

the Trac II vintage cart vs the Gillette Guard

I have a very high opinion of the Gillette Guard. I have not had any consistency issues with the refills (although I order mine from Mag’s).
I will admit that the handle is underwhelming, it is very light, but it is functional and easy to hold on to. Even the pivot was concerning for me, as it is not spring loaded, and just floats.

In reality and use, however, it is amazing. The pivot offers forgiveness and allows for a very quick and efficient shave. The single blade is very sharp, yet smooth, and lasts a long time. The glide is amazing, without the need for any yucky lube strips. The blade guards are functional and contribute to the glide. It never clogs. Doesn’t really need rinsing. But most of all, it delivers for me a BBS faster and with less drama than any other razor. And I’ve tried them all:
- All manner of DEs, from vintage to new designer, all the different blades, vintage Techs and Speeds, copies, etc… a lot. Not as close on the face as my vintage Schick injectors, but more forgiving on the head (though not as forgiving as a good pivoting cart).
- Vintage GEMs: Excellent face shaver, unforgiving head fillet machines.
- Vintage Schick Injectors (my previous favorites). Long lasting consistent BBS that was faster for me than DE. Not very forgiving on the head, though.
- Gillette Sensor Plus. My vintage cart that was my favorite cart of all time. Very good, but expensive refills. Good for head shaving. Floating blades are sharp yet forgiving. Just to $$$.
- Favorite disposable: Schick Extreme 3. Flexible blades hug the head well. Long lasting. Forgiving. Fast. But have to rinse too often.

I tried the Guard on a whim due to good reviews. Wow. So sharp, smooth, efficient, forgiving, and the fastest BBS I’ve found. Absolutely brilliant as a head shaver. Most efficient and forgiving I’ve found. No need to rinse constantly. Smooth and efficient glide. Just a great razor. Don’t let the looks or preconceived notions fool you. It is excellent for its intended purpose.

The fact that it is a single blade, airline approved, and only costs $0.50 per refill, while getting the shave life of a good cart, makes it unbeatable in my book. I recommend it for a trial run. Also the best face shaver I’ve found.

Happy Shaving! 🙂
This is very close to my experience! The Leaf Twig runs the Guard close for me, but I still think the Guard is the best I have ever tried in 13 years of being a shave enthusiast.

That has led me to wanting to try a Trac II again, if only to see if I can get a decent shave from one, now that I have improved my shaving technique by using razors from a period when carts did not exist. I'm curious if there is anyone that has done a comparison between a Gillette Guard and a Trac II, and what the results were. I'm pretty sure I can find a vintage Trac II handle on the bay, but what I'm looking for is the old one with a ribbed chrome tapered square handle, circa 1980, and I haven't seen one like my old one yet.

doug

This is the one I have. Sounds like what you are looking for.

Trac II_2.JPG
Trac II_3.JPG

View attachment 1411860View attachment 1411861
This looks like a round, ribbed, slightly tapered version of the Trac II. The original was square, slightly ribbed, and tapered forward towards the cartridge. That is the version I have, sorry no pics. The Deluxe model with leather case was the same configuration as the original but was tan with a gold stripe instead of silver. The model shown looks like an improved version that enhanced the grip, however, I found the grip of the original to be perfectly adequate and non slippery when wet. I saw originals on line being made in Poland listed for $60 plus dollars for NOS on one of the auction/sales sites, I forget which one, but not interested at that price point. Have a mint Deluxe with case, blades, instructions and an original Trac II already, as well as a Schick Super II deluxe model. They perform about 90-95 percent as good as my DE's.

This looks like a round, ribbed, slightly tapered version of the Trac II. The original was square, slightly ribbed, and tapered forward towards the cartridge. That is the version I have, sorry no pics. The Deluxe model with leather case was the same configuration as the original but was tan with a gold stripe instead of silver. The model shown looks like an improved version that enhanced the grip, however, I found the grip of the original to be perfectly adequate and non slippery when wet. I saw originals on line being made in Poland listed for $60 plus dollars for NOS on one of the auction/sales sites, I forget which one, but not interested at that price point. Have a mint Deluxe with case, blades, instructions and an original Trac II already, as well as a Schick Super II deluxe model. They perform about 90-95 percent as good as my DE's.
The I have pictured is a genuine Trac II made by Gillette. I bought it many years ago.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

View attachment 1411860View attachment 1411861
Hey Gents,

I have finally realized after looking at all the different Trac II variations, that it was probably an Atra Plus that I had. I remember the case was white and I think the handle was a combination of chrome and brown. It's been 40 years.

I just tried a Bic1 and got a very nice shave from it.

~doug~

Hey Gents,

I have finally realized after looking at all the different Trac II variations, that it was probably an Atra Plus that I had. I remember the case was white and I think the handle was a combination of chrome and brown. It's been 40 years.

I just tried a Bic1 and got a very nice shave from it.

~doug~
The Atra had a head that pivot, the Trac II did not pivot.

The I have pictured is a genuine Trac II made by Gillette. I bought it many years ago.
It sure is! Not sure if it was the first model though, no expert here. Mine are squareish with very light ribbing. I believe that the model shown is an upgradded original Trac II, not the first model. As usual, I could be wrong.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Atra had a head that pivot, the Trac II did not pivot.
Right, I think I got a Trac II first, then got an Atra and used the case the Trac II came in. I distinctly remember the button and chrome handle with brown trim.
No worries, for the $29 they want for one on fleabay I can get enough Bic1's from Dollar Tree to keep my interest at bay. :hips:

~doug~

It sure is! Not sure if it was the first model though, no expert here. Mine are squareish with very light ribbing. I believe that the model shown is an upgradded original Trac II, not the first model. As usual, I could be wrong.
That is correct, it is not the first model. Works great. One of the best razors ever made.

Right, I think I got a Trac II first, then got an Atra and used the case the Trac II came in. I distinctly remember the button and chrome handle with brown trim.
No worries, for the $29 they want for one on fleabay I can get enough Bic1's from Dollar Tree to keep my interest at bay. :hips:

~doug~
The Bic Metal blows the Bic 1 out of the water by a mile. If you find some try them.

CA0919DC-551E-489E-B546-B514D019F124.jpeg

I've had some changes in my shave routine since the last time I posted in this thread. I haven't used any Gillette Trac II carts in a while, just the Personnas, and I've been disappointed with them. They aren't terrible, but they aren't as good as the Gillette carts. However, I don't like ponying up the bucks for the authentic Trac IIs so I've basically switched over to the Guard full time. I can whip out a comfortable, three-pass DFS that lasts all day in no time. Add to that the affordability of the Guard system and it's pretty much a no-brainer for me to stay with the Guard; whatever quality problems I encountered in the past must have been a fluke, because every Guard cart I've used lately has been great.

On a whim, I recently bought a new Trac II clone and 30 cartridges for a few bucks. I shaves great, much better than the 3,4 or 5 blade cartridge razors I used before I went the traditional DE/SE/injector route a few years ago. I think the techniques I learned using DE/SE/injector razors gave me more success with the Trac II. Does the Trac II shave as close as my preferred SE/injector razors? No, but it does a good job and it's near impossible to nick yourself. The Trac II has earned a place in my rotation.

Top Bottom