What's new

the Trac II vintage cart vs the Gillette Guard

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
When I first started shaving in the mid 1970's my Dad gave me one of his old DE razors and no instructions. After about two weeks of frustration and blood loss, I quickly moved on to a Trac II, with only marginally better results.
For the next 20 years I rotated between the same Trac II, and electric razors(foil and rotary), usually only shaving two or three times a week before settling on electrics until three years ago.

Not wanting to go down the multi-blade option that I never got along with again, I began to explore DE, SE, and SR razors with much better results than ever before. Instead of the dreaded shaving routine, I now look forward to shaving.

Along the way I tried a Gillette Guard, because after all is said and done, it is an SE, and got a fairly decent shave from it. Not uncomfortable at all, and no blood loss or irritation.

That has led me to wanting to try a Trac II again, if only to see if I can get a decent shave from one, now that I have improved my shaving technique by using razors from a period when carts did not exist. I'm curious if there is anyone that has done a comparison between a Gillette Guard and a Trac II, and what the results were. I'm pretty sure I can find a vintage Trac II handle on the bay, but what I'm looking for is the old one with a ribbed chrome tapered square handle, circa 1980, and I haven't seen one like my old one yet.

doug

On my Christmas list is the Indian 7 o’clock P II = Track and some cartridges as I’m also curious how it works nowadays after I can shave with a DE.

@ivan_101 can tell you about the various cartridges, I believe some of them are Polish.

E1A574DA-EB18-460F-910C-3C60249D51B1.jpeg

You may also want to look at the Sensor II. Twin blades that have some have some give and a pivot head. As carts go, I love the sensor. I have a rough beard and the sensor does a nice job with less than 2 days growth. Not as smooth or close as deWhen my technique is dialed in. But quick and easy with very good results even without ideal prep. I wish had experience with the newer cart that the OP mentioned but I don’t.

I liked the Trac II back in the day, and was sad to see the cartridges disappear (in America), replaced with pivoting razors. But they never did provide anywhere near a close shave. I tried them again awhile back, out of curiosity. Didn't see any point to paying the premium for cartridges over DE blades, especially considering their 2 O'clock shadow. Their biggest virtue is that it seems to be impossible to cut yourself.

I don't think I have tried the Sensor II; the five decades of cartridge razors is a bit of a blur. It's probably a blur to some of the razor designers, too, some of whom seem to be doing their creative can-you-top-this barnstorming on acid.

If you must go the cartridge route, consider the simple BIC Sensitive disposable. You get a close shave with minimal risk of nicks. It doesn't pivot. But it is slower than some DE razors. It would be nice if they sold this as a replaceable cartridge razor with a nicer handle. But considering the total weight of the plastic, I guess it isn't so bad.

Also, there is a twin blade BIC disposable with a non-pivoting head, but I haven't tried it. You might have to look in the women's shaving section to find it. The price is reasonable. If you do try it, let us know how it is.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The only cartridge razors I’ve used in the last 20 years are the Trac II and the Guard. Trac II has no pivot, two blades. Guard has a pivot and one blade. The Trac II feels more like SE shaving because it doesn’t pivot. It also shaves a little closer than the Guard. I prefer the PII blades in my Trac II as they are sharp and have no goo strip. I only use carts on the rare occasion that I fly with only carry-on bags. Lately I have just been grabbing a guard on those trips due to the convenience, but plan on a Trac II next time, as I think it provides a better shave.

Also, go to Dollar Tree and get the 3-pack Gillette Black razor. It is a fixed head, two blade razor that has aspects of both the Guard and the Trac 2. I was going to post about it, and call it the disposable version of the Trac II demonstrator.

On my Christmas list is the Indian 7 o’clock P II = Track and some cartridges as I’m also curious how it works nowadays after I can shave with a DE.

@ivan_101 can tell you about the various cartridges, I believe some of them are Polish.

View attachment 1377699
I have two of these (I like them so much, for a cart when air traveling). With a little effort, I can match a decent DE shave with this handle and a Personna Twin cartridge (Personna's Trac II clone).

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Their biggest virtue is that it seems to be impossible to cut yourself.
My technique was so bad that I did cut myself with the Trac II.
The only cartridge razors I’ve used in the last 20 years are the Trac II and the Guard. Trac II has no pivot, two blades. Guard has a pivot and one blade. The Trac II feels more like SE shaving because it doesn’t pivot. It also shaves a little closer than the Guard. I prefer the PII blades in my Trac II as they are sharp and have no goo strip.
Until I tried a Guard out of curiosity a year ago it had been over 30 years since I had used a cart, and the only carts that I have ever used are the Trac II and the Gillette Guard. I didn't even remember the Trac II didn't pivot it has been so long.
I don't plan on going back to using a cart on a regular basis, but I just might look around for another Trac II for kicks.

doug

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I don't plan on going back to using a cart on a regular basis, but I just might look around for another Trac II for kicks.
Same. I would never go back. I just use it for fun during carry-on travel. I got one of those heavy chrome Col Conk Trac II handles, and it feels heavy like a DE. I use it very rarely, but it provides a good shave. I have been using the Guard for my infrequent carry-on travels since the lockdowns started. Just finished an 8 day trip with the Guard on Sunday. It is not a very satisfying shave. Too light, not efficient enough. But it gets the job done well enough. I will bring the Trac II next time for sure.

1639498956150.png

When I first started shaving in the mid 1970's my Dad gave me one of his old DE razors and no instructions. After about two weeks of frustration and blood loss, I quickly moved on to a Trac II, with only marginally better results.
For the next 20 years I rotated between the same Trac II, and electric razors(foil and rotary), usually only shaving two or three times a week before settling on electrics until three years ago.

Not wanting to go down the multi-blade option that I never got along with again, I began to explore DE, SE, and SR razors with much better results than ever before. Instead of the dreaded shaving routine, I now look forward to shaving.

Along the way I tried a Gillette Guard, because after all is said and done, it is an SE, and got a fairly decent shave from it. Not uncomfortable at all, and no blood loss or irritation.

That has led me to wanting to try a Trac II again, if only to see if I can get a decent shave from one, now that I have improved my shaving technique by using razors from a period when carts did not exist. I'm curious if there is anyone that has done a comparison between a Gillette Guard and a Trac II, and what the results were. I'm pretty sure I can find a vintage Trac II handle on the bay, but what I'm looking for is the old one with a ribbed chrome tapered square handle, circa 1980, and I haven't seen one like my old one yet.

doug
I got some 80’s vintage two blade disposable‘s Doug. I have never shaved with one. I bought them for eyebrow and ear hair trimming. I was using triple blades and upwards in carts. I did try a Bic twin blade disposable at that time and it sucked big time. I used every damn cart that Gillette and Shick made during those years all that searching but never a great shave. My last two or three years was Harry’s just before I made the jump to DE.
ALL my cart shaves even the ones that approached BBS never came without mild to severe neck irritation. The Main Reason I switched to DE. The DE shave still wasn’t enough to eliminate neck irritation. Learning that my skin was drier and more sensitive than I knew or admitted. Still took well over two years to understand. The biggest part of my skin health and rejuvenation took place in the last eight months. Without DE it wouldn’t have happened. For a sensitive skin dude. Carts are the worst possible shave method in over a half century of shaving. But even bad and sometimes awful tools can have a useful purpose. Dry hair eyebrow and ear hair trimming. Good luck on your Cart shave Doug.

EC114788-955C-4B8B-B041-A82E04DDCCC4.jpeg

only good razors in this world is mach3 or fusion. i prefer mach3 cause lf the price, but if i would have bulk buyed fusion blades, i would be keeping that. But i bulked mach blades and then tryed fusion, so i just decided to keep mach

My technique was so bad that I did cut myself with the Trac II.

Until I tried a Guard out of curiosity a year ago it had been over 30 years since I had used a cart, and the only carts that I have ever used are the Trac II and the Gillette Guard. I didn't even remember the Trac II didn't pivot it has been so long.

doug
Like you I have used electrics extensively in the past and have settled on DE as my preferred way to shave, although carts do see some limited use. Out of curiosity I dug up some Trac II to play with, and have also used the Bic sensitive, Sensor Excel, Fusion, Mach 3, Harry's, Schick Quattro, Dorco and even the 6 (7?) blade multi cart.

In my hands the Mach3 is the winner, with the Sensor Excel pretty close. The Trac II isn't bad, but, I think that the pivot that the newer razors have is a significant innovation, and that the benefit of multiblade stops past 3. Just something to consider and as always YMMV.

tm3 you still have those 6 and 7 blade dorcos? I found 7 blade cloggs easily. But how is that 6 bladed? Have you tryed first pass wtg and second against the grain? i think 6 bladed does not need extg passes?

tm3 you still have those 6 and 7 blade dorcos? I found 7 blade cloggs easily. But how is that 6 bladed? Have you tryed first pass wtg and second against the grain? i think 6 bladed does not need extg passes?
I probably have the mega Dorco (don't remember if it is 6 or 7) in a drawer or closet somewhere. I didn't like it and have not used it in a long time. My typical shave is WTG, XTG, then ATG so I'm sure that is what I did with the Dorco. I don't recall clogging being an issue -- to me the Dorco carts (all of them, from 3 blade to 7) feel rough even when brand new. Same with Harry's and other "off" brands. For me the Sensor, Mach 3, and Quattro (which I keep forgetting) are the only ones worth using.

In my experience, adding more blades did not reduce the number of passes needed as compared to a DE. My OCD about BBS requires 3 passes with touchup regardless, although sometimes a 2 pass is "good enough."

Also, go to Dollar Tree and get the 3-pack Gillette Black razor. It is a fixed head, two blade razor that has aspects of both the Guard and the Trac 2. I was going to post about it, and call it the disposable version of the Trac II demonstrator.

But what does the Gillette Black have to do with the Gillette Guard? Gillette Black seems to just be a disposable Trac II, the same model available that has been widely available elsewhere, for many years.

There's the original disposable model of the Trac II introduced in 1976 - Gillette Good News (now called Sensor 2 in N. America), which is called Gillette Blue II in other places such as Europe. Gillette usually sold this model in a given country alongside the same model in yellow, the yellow being sold at a lower price and under a different name. At some point came along a secondary Gillette branded model - the Gillette 2, with a more hollow handle and no lube strip (Gillette Black does have a lube strip), also sold at a lower price.

Gillette Good News/Sensor 2:
View attachment 1405608

Gillette Blue II from Europe:
View attachment 1405610

Both the Sensor2 and the Blue2 come in a "Plus" model with rubberized grip, as posted earlier in this thread.

Brazil:
View attachment 1405612

India
View attachment 1405613

South Africa - the Minora II Extra is the same as Good News (without Lubestrip), the Minora II is the same as the Gillette2
View attachment 1405883

Gillette 2 from Europe, with a more hollow handle and no lube:

View attachment 1405606

Same as Blue2, sold in Poland under the Polsilver brand:
View attachment 1405604

Malaysia
View attachment 1405617

Argentina:
View attachment 1405620

Brazil
View attachment 1405628

I have a very high opinion of the Gillette Guard. I have not had any consistency issues with the refills (although I order mine from Mag’s).
I will admit that the handle is underwhelming, it is very light, but it is functional and easy to hold on to. Even the pivot was concerning for me, as it is not spring loaded, and just floats.

In reality and use, however, it is amazing. The pivot offers forgiveness and allows for a very quick and efficient shave. The single blade is very sharp, yet smooth, and lasts a long time. The glide is amazing, without the need for any yucky lube strips. The blade guards are functional and contribute to the glide. It never clogs. Doesn’t really need rinsing. But most of all, it delivers for me a BBS faster and with less drama than any other razor. And I’ve tried them all:
- All manner of DEs, from vintage to new designer, all the different blades, vintage Techs and Speeds, copies, etc… a lot. Not as close on the face as my vintage Schick injectors, but more forgiving on the head (though not as forgiving as a good pivoting cart).
- Vintage GEMs: Excellent face shaver, unforgiving head fillet machines.
- Vintage Schick Injectors (my previous favorites). Long lasting consistent BBS that was faster for me than DE. Not very forgiving on the head, though.
- Gillette Sensor Plus. My vintage cart that was my favorite cart of all time. Very good, but expensive refills. Good for head shaving. Floating blades are sharp yet forgiving. Just to $$$.
- Favorite disposable: Schick Extreme 3. Flexible blades hug the head well. Long lasting. Forgiving. Fast. But have to rinse too often.

I tried the Guard on a whim due to good reviews. Wow. So sharp, smooth, efficient, forgiving, and the fastest BBS I’ve found. Absolutely brilliant as a head shaver. Most efficient and forgiving I’ve found. No need to rinse constantly. Smooth and efficient glide. Just a great razor. Don’t let the looks or preconceived notions fool you. It is excellent for its intended purpose.

The fact that it is a single blade, airline approved, and only costs $0.50 per refill, while getting the shave life of a good cart, makes it unbeatable in my book. I recommend it for a trial run. Also the best face shaver I’ve found.

Happy Shaving! 🙂

I started shaving in the 80's and used a Trac II. I didn't even think about other razors even though the Atra was out at that time. Shaved with it for years and years. My Dad as well as my grandfathers used Atra's, but I just stuck with the tried and true because I only needed to shave every three days or so back then and it was cheaper. By the time the Mach 3 came out, I was using the sensor and stuck with that for years and years (I think I had lost the Trac ii handle and that is why I got the Sensor). Finally lost the Sensor and got the Fusion. After a few years with that I went DE. Still use a cartridge for travelling. Favorite gillette cartridge of all time has to be the Sensor. I've used them all at one time or another and feel that one was the best for price and performance.

Top Bottom