What's new

The Three Razor Method

I stumbled upon an article about shaving with three different razors for each pass - an aggressive one for the first pass, a moderate one for the second and a mild one for the third.
The author also suggests using three different blades in the same gradation.
What are your opinions on this method and has anyone tried it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonkers.

Having said that I sometimes use 2 razors. If I think one has a dulling blade I'll pick up another rather than change the blade mid-shave.

For me there are only very efficient razors and sharp blades. Not interested in anything else.

I see the point, but just get an adjustable and go milder with each successive pass. That's what I do and I get great results. As far as changing the blade each time, wouldn't the blade get duller with each pass? I don't know, I'm just thinking some people have too much time on their hands.

I bet loads of guys use adjustable that way.. makes sense to me. I sometimes use 2 razors, regular de plus focus r48 for under my nose.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have done it more than a few times,
Not so much to get a better shave but just wanted to have some fun with with my Razors.
I usually find it to be a very enjoyable and like the difference between the razors as the shave progresses. Like I said it's a fun time for me and not really doing it for any reason except for the fun . I use 2 razors more often than 3

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
When I wasn't sporting my current crop of whiskers, I'd often use an R41 for most of my face, and a Gillette Good News disposable (!) for stubborn little patches immediately under my nose. Worked just fine.

Razors are onlytools to do a good job. If you have loads of them, why not make use of their individual qualities?

I have a variety of tools in my shave den. I have straight razors, DE razors of varying efficiency and aggressiveness, and also an ATT SE1 single edge razor. I have a fast growing, coarse beard, so I like a every efficient razor for the first pass. The most efficient razor is a well honed, well stropped straight razor. However, some safety razors come close with the right blade. Some areas of my jaw line and chin are quite difficult to shave, especially with a straight razor.

The only way I can get a very close shave is using a buffing technique. However, my sensitive skin gets easily irritated. Thus, I often use different shaving tools for each pass of the shave. For the final cleanup pass, I use a mild razor with a very sharp blade such as Feather, BIC, PermaSharp Super or Nacet.

I can use a single razor for the entire shave, but the results are never quite as satisfactory as when I use the optimal tool for each pass. Either the shave will not be as close or as comfortable. For those whose beards are not as tough as mine and those whose skin is not as sensitive, perhaps one razor will be sufficient.

I stumbled upon an article about shaving with three different razors for each pass - an aggressive one for the first pass, a moderate one for the second and a mild one for the third.
The author also suggests using three different blades in the same gradation.
What are your opinions on this method and has anyone tried it?

Three seperate razors for three passes. The three razor method – Bruce On Shaving

First off, I like Bruce on Shaving. His thoughts on the superiority of Boar bristles was critically influential for me. My issue with this concept is that the use of three DE type razors.

I started a thread titled the Daily Double to promote multi razor use to allow for more than one type razor to be used and to allow our collections to see more play. Using a DE with a Schick injector or MMOC GEM is going to produce a much different results than using a Gillette Tech with a Fat Boy. Besides be blatantly boring, why would anyone expect than much difference from two similarly designed razor using the same or similar blade?

Many who take up using a straight razor enjoy bringing in a more familiar razor to get those stranglers. Multi razor use is both fun as well as practical.

I don't think any of us have ever found out who Bruce On Shaving is, am I right about that? It's been years, but if I remember, he seemed to have a lot of info on / promotion of Frank's Shaving, was it?

First off, I like Bruce on Shaving. His thoughts on the superiority of Boar bristles was critically influential for me. My issue with this concept is that the use of three DE type razors.

I started a thread titled the Daily Double to promote multi razor use to allow for more than one type razor to be used and to allow our collections to see more play. Using a DE with a Schick injector or MMOC GEM is going to produce a much different results than using a Gillette Tech with a Fat Boy. Besides be blatantly boring, why would anyone expect than much difference from two similarly designed razor using the same or similar blade?

Many who take up using a straight razor enjoy bringing in a more familiar razor to get those stranglers. Multi razor use is both fun as well as practical.
As you may recall I may occasionally use a different razor for head and beard shaves . But three razors (and blades) for the beard seems less than practical to me, it's rather making life way way too complicated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

His profile says this.

I'm Bruce Everiss, a veteran games industry marketer. More.

So I'm guessing he must be thinking along the lines of call of duty where you get to switch between your AK-47, pistol and RPG for different kinds of engagements.

Top Bottom