What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

Some late night pork butt
20200826_025900(1)-01.jpeg

Had a craving today, so I bought some ribs, smoked em on the camp chef, made some beans and corn muffins, was going to make jalepeno corn bread but forgot the jalepenos, so muffins it is. There will be a re run of this meal later this week.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
First attempt at brisket yesterday. Learned how to make it last 24 hours but it still turned out well. Not winning any prizes but didn’t hear any complaints from the family.

Looks really good! There's a technique to slicing brisket that can make it seem even more tender which is slicing across the grain. There are some good YouTube videos out there that demonstrate it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is a thread I will likely read in its entirety someday, but in case this has not already been shared, in Aaron Franklin's book, Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto, he explains in detail exactly how to duplicate his results. Unfortunately being able to secure the briskets that meet his requirements is essential, and most grocery stores' briskets do not measure up. If you are ever in Austin, dining at Franklin will generally require standing in line all morning. As spectacularly good as his barbecue is, there are a few others that come close and now and then match it but have much shorter waits.

This is a thread I will likely read in its entirety someday, but in case this has not already been shared, in Aaron Franklin's book, Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto, he explains in detail exactly how to duplicate his results. Unfortunately being able to secure the briskets that meet his requirements is essential, and most grocery stores' briskets do not measure up. If you are ever in Austin, dining at Franklin will generally require standing in line all morning. As spectacularly good as his barbecue is, there are a few others that come close and now and then match it but have much shorter waits.
I enjoyed his show on PBS while it was on. "BBQ with Franklin"

IMG_1934.jpg

Step 1...properly trim and season ribs (preferably a St. Louis cut). Today's rub is courtesy of Fox Bros. BBQ, the pride of Atlanta.

IMG_1935.JPG

Step 2...Get a good bed of coals fired up to about 225 -230 degrees
IMG_1936.JPG

Step 3...Add your smoking wood. Today it's hand cut North Georgia cherry wood.

Step 4...wait for a while. Go get a beer perhaps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom