What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
About 40 minutes to go before an hour rest.
6BEF3019-60C1-4089-A9DF-29095CC30386.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Picked this up for $25 today. Can't wait to learn about fire management.

Congratulations! It's hard to beat that price!

I'll tell you that very long smoking can be mighty tricky, but it can be done. Fire management is mostly about using the vents, and that's more a matter of experience. Your fire always needs some air supply, but it doesn't need much when you're working with charcoal, so you don't need to open vents very much. You can't close them all the way, but you'll find you'll get pretty close to doing so. Also keep in mind that working the vents is sort of like steering a boat. Make a small change, and then wait a good 15 minutes or so to see what that change does. If it's not good enough, make another small change and see how that goes. It'll take practice and experience, but you'll get there.

If you do a very long cook, you might need to add more coals. Just roll with it.

Smoked a 19.4 lb Brisket last weekend. Turned out great everything was very tender and juicy!

I used my Pitboss Pellet grill and put the brisket on at 10:30 PM. Set the smoker temp to 225F.

The next morning when I woke up at 7 AM, the internal temp on the flat of the brisket was 150F, so I wrapped it tightly in tinfoil and ramped the smoker temp up just slightly to 250F.

I pulled it off the smoker when the probe easily went through every part of brisket. Internal temp was about 215F. Total smoke time, 14 hours.

I let it rest for nearly 2 hours in the foil (very important!).

The rub I used was 50/50 black pepper and kosher salt, but I also though in a few tablespoons of Seasoning Salt and Chili Powder.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Smoked a 19.4 lb Brisket last weekend. Turned out great everything was very tender and juicy!

I used my Pitboss Pellet grill and put the brisket on at 10:30 PM. Set the smoker temp to 225F.

The next morning when I woke up at 7 AM, the internal temp on the flat of the brisket was 150F, so I wrapped it tightly in tinfoil and ramped the smoker temp up just slightly to 250F.

I pulled it off the smoker when the probe easily went through every part of brisket. Internal temp was about 215F. Total smoke time, 14 hours.

I let it rest for nearly 2 hours in the foil (very important!).

The rub I used was 50/50 black pepper and kosher salt, but I also though in a few tablespoons of Seasoning Salt and Chili Powder.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Lovely

1. 2 days or day before Brine Brisket in a 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of salt and water for 2 hours
2. Use your favorite rub. I made a home made batch of Montreal seasoning
3. Marinate it in 1 cup of soy, 1 cup of Apple Cider Vine and 1/2 cup of water for 24-36 hours

Put about 40-50 unlit coals on one side of the grill. In a filled charcoal chimney light more charcoal. When coals are ash, pour on top of unlit charcoal.

On side of grill without charcoal, put a tray of filled water. Add 4 chunks of hickory
Close lower vent to about 1/8 open
Put grill rack on and place brisket over the tray of water
Cover and close up vent to 1/4-1/2 with vent over meat side so smoke goes over the meat before escaping
Depending on size of brisket, for 7 lbs. Let it cook at 275 for about 4-4 1/2 hours

Pull off cover, let settle for 1/2 hour.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Smoked a young pullet today. With a side of buttermilk pie. Also smoked some beef sausage with it. Gumbo tomorrow!

IMG_2268.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

Top Bottom