What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am planning a picnic on Sunday. Yeah an old fashion picnic. I plan to smoke a brisket sausage and ribs. I want to make Penny’s potato salad which is in the wiki recipe area. I’m also making some cowboy beans from fresh black beans that one of the neighbors gave to me. Anyway, all that’s left is to have some type of dessert…I think ice cream. Let’s say goodbye to 2021 summer.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am working double shifts both Saturday and Sunday so I’ll just drool over the pictures you post.
I plan to get up around three or four in the morning. As I’m getting older I just feel like I need to go to bed earlier so that means I get up earlier. I’ve got a 19 pound prime brisket. It needs trimming. I love to trim and use my Dexter deboner knife. That brisket was $90. Luckily my neighbors are pitching in to help. Good neighbors right? Plus I got ribs and Myers sausage from Elgin. Tator salad is done and the black beans are soaking. Can’t wait. Think the neighbors are bringing over some banana pudding. You know, with the vanilla wafers in it?

Finally got cool enough at night to cold smoke some bacon
BD6CB53D-AD83-46C5-9D62-92FA0108CD74.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Results were not too bad. The flat was overcooked….Maybe by an hour. The point was fantastic and right on the money. Which is not pictured. The smoke ring is actually pretty decent. This was the biggest and heaviest brisket I ever smoked at 19 pounds trimmed to 16. 18 hours on the smoker. It would’ve been fine at 16 1/2 to 17 hours. Made a few mistakes along the way but overall it turned out above average.

443241A1-E56C-42D7-AF82-C3DDCEB8315F.jpeg
E0C8A832-01B7-40B2-952B-944047863B02.jpeg

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Found some hickory logs in the charcoal section of a big box store that I hadn't seen before. Should work good in the smoker.

proxy.php

Think I'll throw on a couple of Cornish game hens in a day or two.

proxy.php

I need to be careful about cooking poultry...they may want revenge.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I spent all of yesterday burning enough meat to have meals for the next 6-8 days of work with a few double shifts thrown in for good measure.
I forgot the pictures but I promised it did happen.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I spent all of yesterday burning enough meat to have meals for the next 6-8 days of work with a few double shifts thrown in for good measure.
I forgot the pictures but I promised it did happen.

You guys need some help. At least you're eating good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am planning a picnic on Sunday. Yeah an old fashion picnic. I plan to smoke a brisket sausage and ribs. I want to make Penny’s potato salad which is in the wiki recipe area. I’m also making some cowboy beans from fresh black beans that one of the neighbors gave to me. Anyway, all that’s left is to have some type of dessert…I think ice cream. Let’s say goodbye to 2021 summer.
Haven’t been on a picnic in ages. When we lived in Steubenville (OH), my grandfather would pick me up and drive down to a park that was next to the locks on the Ohio River. When we were in Cleveland, we would go to one of the MetroParks reserves. I really miss the Emerald Necklace (nickname for the Cleveland MetroParks).

Top Bottom