What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
^^^^"Hey Sofa, is like like New York Pastrami!??"

"You're darn right, kid."
I know it has gotten muddled lately, but in the past corned beef was made from the brisket, and pastrami was made from navel. There is a slight texture different (at least to me).

I know it has gotten muddled lately, but in the past corned beef was made from the brisket, and pastrami was made from navel. There is a slight texture different (at least to me).

Texture is my favorite part of corned beef! I fell in love with it when I worked in a brewery when I was young. They smoked corned beef and made Reubens that we'd spend all of our tip money on after the shifts. Sometimes we'd work a shift and come back with less money than we came with after eating and drinking late into the evenings. Smh!!!

After 25 years trying to recreate it....I've gotten there! This one is a winner!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Texture is my favorite part of corned beef! I fell in love with it when I worked in a brewery when I was young. They smoked corned beef and made Reubens that we'd spend all of our tip money on after the shifts. Sometimes we'd work a shift and come back with less money than we came with after eating and drinking late into the evenings. Smh!!!

After 25 years trying to recreate it....I've gotten there! This one is a winner!!
Very cool. Corned beef is a challenge I have to try one day.

Thanks! Here's the secret that took me all these years to figure out. Just rinse it off, apply that little packet of seasoning mix that comes with it (nothing else), then smoke for about 5 hours at 250F, ish, then wrap in foil for another hour at same temp. Then cool in the foil for about two hours. Done! (Mine was a 4 pounder for reference).

If you (or anyone else) tries this let me know your results!

Now, that 10 pound pork shoulder, yes I did use a rub. I'll post the pics tomorrow. The rub was mainly chili powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Same smoking process but I left it on a few more hours before wrapping. Oh, and with the pork, I trimmed the fat cap off before beginning. It has enough fat within the meat. At the end, I just pulled the bone out and used two forks to pull it. Only took 5 minutes that way because I didn't have to worry about the fat!

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My butt is sitting in the que.
Oh how I like the smell of smoke in the morning.

20190118_084710.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks, guys.
I'm going old school here with no probes, so wish me luck.
Yeah plenty of room for more. I had ideas of making a fatty to share the space but did not get my A into G. Next time. I may pop down to the butcher and get some sausages to bang on there later.

Jim, the rub was a mix of:

3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic power
1 tbsp English mustard powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks, guys.
Yeah plenty of room for more. I had ideas of making a fatty to share the space but did not get my A into G. Next time. I may pop down to the butcher and get some sausages to bang on there later.

3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic power
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
You could throw some peppers on.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks, guys.

3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic power
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
World class.

Thanks, guys.

3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic power
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper

Can't argue with that. And I was looking for an argument tonight. Perfect rub.

What's the weight, time, and temp? I totally agree with you going non scientific, without probes, etc. So many YouTubers claim its necessary, ... But it's not. Only need to know weight, time, temp. (And maybe not even that much such as in my case, lol)

Those youtubers are the folks that shave 7 blade systems. ;)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice butt Chris.
What have you rubbed on that badboy

Oh that can be taken so many ways.

Sorry...couldn't help it. :)

Looks like a good rub, Chris. I haven't tried mustard powder or brown sugar in one.

Can't argue with that. And I was looking for an argument tonight. Perfect rub.

I don't think you'll find much of an argument here. Most experienced people know there is more than one way to smoke a cat.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I cook my butt by the seat of my pants. :)
Time and temp is just a ball park mark for when to start, the meat will tell me when it's done.
It's 2.5kg that's around 5lb. Temp is still around 120'C / 250F so thinking around 12 hours.
My method is poke and prod, tug on the shoulder blade and how much it shrinks away from the bone.

6.5 hours and going to wrap to finish. Not sure how that little bit of the bark is missing....:)

20190118_144109.jpg

Top Bottom