What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

Got a little something something on the kamado.
proxy.php

“I've never used coconut aminos, but looking it up since it's kinda like soy sauce that might work. That marinade looks good...have to try it...except leave out the chili powder, I hate store bought chili powder.”

Even Gebhardt’s??

Its probably the second best chicken I've ever cooked. Jerk marinade and smoked/cooked with hickory around 350F. Fan fricking tastic. Just need to finish the steamed buns to eat it with tomorrow. Image came out really red and I couldn't fix it. Far more of a brown. Second image is the closest.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fired up the smoker this morning. Had to split the logs with an ax. Felt like a real man!! I'll post the after pics in about 20 hours. 10 pound pork shoulder and 4 pound corned beef.
20190114_111615.jpg

Its probably the second best chicken I've ever cooked. Jerk marinade and smoked/cooked with hickory around 350F. Fan fricking tastic. Just need to finish the steamed buns to eat it with tomorrow. Image came out really red and I couldn't fix it. Far more of a brown. Second image is the closest.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Looks great, I love jerk chicken. What's the base for the marinade you've used?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
“I've never used coconut aminos, but looking it up since it's kinda like soy sauce that might work. That marinade looks good...have to try it...except leave out the chili powder, I hate store bought chili powder.”

Even Gebhardt’s??

Even Gebhardt's. Don't like the store bought "taco seasoning" either, make my own. I also don't use prepared BBQ rubs either...make my own. Another thing I only use occasionally is store bought BBQ sauce, also make my own.

Am I spoiled? :biggrin1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

proxy.php

proxy.php
I just got back from lunch and I’m hungry again
Fired up the smoker this morning. Had to split the logs with an ax. Felt like a real man!! I'll post the after pics in about 20 hours. 10 pound pork shoulder and 4 pound corned beef.
View attachment 943572
And real men don’t let snow get in their way :thumbup:

Hehe,
I just got back from lunch and I’m hungry again

And real men don’t let snow get in their way :thumbup:
Hehe, agreed and thanks. This is the beginning of the real grilling and smoking season in my view. My previous smoker didn't have a chimney cover like this one, and water would get into the chamber..
20190114_153337.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Even Gebhardt's. Don't like the store bought "taco seasoning" either, make my own. I also don't use prepared BBQ rubs either...make my own. Another thing I only use occasionally is store bought BBQ sauce, also make my own.

Am I spoiled? :biggrin1:

Nope!!
We make our own enchilada sauce and taco seasoning and also season our own carne guisada.
Also, we make our own tortillas.
I laugh when people ask me for the recipe cuz I don’t have a recipe. A pinch of this and a handful of that. It’s all by feel. My grandmother taught me.
She also taught me to crochete and quilt.
Real guy things to do while I’m eating quiche!!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nope!!
We make our own enchilada sauce and taco seasoning and also season our own carne guisada.
I laugh when people ask me for the recipe cuz I don’t have a recipe. A pinch of this and a handful of that. It’s all by feel. My grandmother taught me.

That's funny. A lady that lived directly across the street from us taught all the neighborhood boys how to crochet. That was way before cell phones and X-boxes...even Atari. We sat and talked, laughed and learned something from the old school women.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nope!!

:lol:

Mom taught me to knit and sew. Getting ready to sell (but hate to) her old Phaff sewing machine she taught me on.

I have Grandma's old Monkey Ward's treadle powered sewing machine. And you'd better watch out...I know how to use it.

Hey, this is Thin Blue Smoke related...you can knit or sew pot holders and stuff for hot things.

dsc_0006-2-jpg.892624

martym

:lol:

Mom taught me to knit and sew. Getting ready to sell (but hate to) her old Phaff sewing machine she taught me on.

I have Grandma's old Monkey Ward's treadle powered sewing machine. And you'd better watch out...I know how to use it.

Hey, this is Thin Blue Smoke related...you can knit or sew pot holders and stuff for hot things.

dsc_0006-2-jpg.892624
776E9BAA-1EF8-4656-AACA-6D62A2C80818.jpeg

Grandma’s too

martym

Singer

We were poor so grandma didn’t have many drawers.
I only had 1 pair of shoes

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Singer

We were poor so grandma didn’t have many drawers.
I only had 1 pair of shoes

That's a good one. Good quality machine.

My Grandma had six pair of drawers...and I had two pair of shoes. I even had a bicycle...and three horses.

Since you don't have a recipe for you powders, what do you usually use besides what you can grab?

martym

Sauces are mostly made with cilantro, tomato, onion, garlic, flour, and dried chilies.
Haven’t ever used powdered stuff besides salt and pepper.
We never had any so I don’t use it!

Top Bottom