What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking at all these great photos has me wanting to light a fire and cook some meat.
A nice winters day here so that's just what I did.
Lamb square cut shoulder. Spiked with garlic and juniper berries. Rubbed on a mix of butter, olive oil, chopped garlic, chopped mint fresh from the garden and a lemon juice. Will baste it with this mix often while cooking.

20190728_123810.jpg

Wild Canadian Canvasback duck with a bit of rosemary & thyme and my chicken/spinach/feta sausage, indirect cook with lump charcoal and sassafras wood smoke. Served with long grain wild rice and my 2016 Cabernet.

IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG

Tom

Last edited:
Sassafras wood smoke will need a bit of explanation.

Just some chunks of Sassafras on the charcoal, in the cook chamber of my smoker. A mild sweet wood. A bit more flavor, with a twang, compared to apple or pear. Nice with fowl and fish.

The Canvasback, was raised on celery grass, which is no longer in the waters of southern NY, really tasty...

Tom

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone ever have cabrito? I had some at Moderno's in Piedras Negras and it was great. Cooked over wood coals.

There was this one time at a little cantina in Nuevo Laredo, and at El Caracol cantina in San Miguel....

proxy.php

Top Bottom