What's new

The Terrorists Have Won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Each time I go through an airport security check I am reminded that the terrorists have won.

I make a lot of trips by aeroplanes, 20 to 40 each year, and this has affected my shaving. Most of my trips are only for a week or so away so I often can travel with just carry-on luggage.

I have been wet shaving all my life except now when I travel. When away I have to revert to an electric shaver.

Airport security checks are inconsistent between countries and even within some countries. I have had safety razors and even cassette style razors "confiscated" from my carry-on. This has left me with the only option of an electric shaver. Even with that, they sometimes take the batteries.

The only time I can take my wet shaving gear is when I am traveling to a cold country and I need checked luggage to hold my winter clothing.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
When the plane goes down is when they win. Changing your shaving routine wasn't part of their game plan.

It is getting old for sure, people whining about carry on baggage rules as it's purely a First World complaint. If you don't like the rules then don't fly. Take a train, bus, boat or drive. Most of the World lives on less than a dollar a day. Those are real problems.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Wet shave with a cart, they ain't taking those. Get a Gillette Guard single blade or Bic Metal Single blade.

Yes just use cartridge razors. That is what most of us have to do. There are other irritating things too like asking to have my photo film scanned separately so it does not go thru the luggage x-ray scanner.

It is getting old for sure, people whining about carry on baggage rules as it's purely a First World complaint. If you don't like the rules then don't fly. Take a train, bus, boat or drive. Most of the World lives on less than a dollar a day. Those are real problems.

Passenger ships operating out of the US actually operate under similar TSA rules.

I heave learned for short trips with only a carry on to take a cartridge razor and if staying longer and doing a checked bag will pack a DE in the checked bag. No problems yet.

He's exaggagerating to vent frustration at an annoying shave-related situation on a shave forum. You're doing the exact same thing by saying, "Don't like it then don't fly." It's almost never that simple. Some of us are forced to travel for work, not pleasure, and we're not given the option of mode of transportation. Sometimes you forget your favorite razor in your dopp kit and it's confiscated and it sucks. I lost a favorite zippo to customs in Rwanda because I forgot to take it out of my bag. That sucks. First world problem? Sure. Does the fact that it's a first world complaint make it suck less? No. I've been blessed by the grace of God to live in a first world country where my third world problems are provided for and I want my zippo back.

This is a first world forum dealing with a first world lifestyle. The amount of money some people spend on their collections and products here is astounding to me. They may be big on wet shaving out of necessity in third world countries, but I guarantee many of them aren't able to spend the money on it to buy the same quality products we do. I'm a dollar store shopper using the same Merkur 25C for the past ten years. But I'd never go on somone's aquisition post and tell them to stop rubbing their first world lifestyle in everyone's face. I just say, "Oh, that's neat," and I move on to the next thread.

If you don't like to hear about people's problems then skip the thread. Don't make them feel inferior for seeking a bit of solidarity from the one place that should understand their situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nav

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
There have been many travel threads my understanding is that tsa should not confiscate a de razor that does not have a blade in a carry on. Some agents might do it randomly. And yes that would suck. on

you could put the handle in the carry on and put the top cap and base plate in the bin with your keys.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I travel a lot as well. When I carry on, I do wet shave with a Gillette Guard, or a vintage Trac II. And if I do carry on a DE, I always separate the pieces and stow them in different parts of my bag mixed in with other items. I have been quite successful at finding DE blades locally when I travel with a carry on. And I have also mistakenly left DE blades in my Dopp kit on a number of occasions and never had them confiscated.

If you don't like to hear about people's problems then skip the thread. Don't make them feel inferior for seeking a bit of solidarity from the one place that should understand their situation.
+1. We should, at the very minimum, be polite and cordial with one another in these threads.

Each time I go through an airport security check I am reminded that the terrorists have won.

I make a lot of trips by aeroplanes, 20 to 40 each year, and this has affected my shaving. Most of my trips are only for a week or so away so I often can travel with just carry-on luggage.

I have been wet shaving all my life except now when I travel. When away I have to revert to an electric shaver.

Airport security checks are inconsistent between countries and even within some countries. I have had safety razors and even cassette style razors "confiscated" from my carry-on. This has left me with the only option of an electric shaver. Even with that, they sometimes take the batteries.

The only time I can take my wet shaving gear is when I am traveling to a cold country and I need checked luggage to hold my winter clothing.

+1! I feel your pain (literally) every time I board a plane!:sob::sob:

I have ton of air miles also, mostly as a ‘one bag’ (carry on) traveler. My approach is to take a shave stick and my Wee Scot in my Dopp kit. If I am only going for a short time or if my travel involves multiple destinations then I resort to a cart. If I will be in one location for awhile, then I take my disassembled 3-piece travel razor. For blades, I either purchase on site or (better) mail a few to my hotel before leaving home. Either approach works better than an electric for me.

Travel started me on this journey. I used to travel a lot for work, often 2-3 day trips. So, I also carried on luggage. One day I was standing at the drug store thinking, "what shave cream can I buy that would allow me to carry on?" Lo and behold, the Nivea tube was exactly 100 ml and more compact than canned goo. I wish I had also connected the dots and thought to use it with a brush, not brushless....that took a couple more years. Doh!

The goal of terrorism is not to kill people. The goal is to disrupt the normal lives of people and to make them fearful that something might happen. Our lives have not returned to normal since 9/11, so I have to agree with the OP that terrorists have succeeded in their mission of disrupting our lives.

Reactions: nav
Mistakes happen and inconveniences occur in the most well-planned operations. Point still stands.

That also ignores the fact that he said he was in SE Asia, so TSA is not the proper source to quote, and my post was directed at your behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever, buddy. :rolleyes:

Rbscebu, I for one appreciate a legitimate gripe. And I remember when flying was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom