What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

I found this "Dose of Envy" razor at the Burlington Stores for $1.99. Figured I'd give it a shot. Why not. Definitely a Tech clone. Had a blade installed in the razor in the package, which is very dangerous. Didnt see it at first and nearly sliced my finger trying to jettison the razor from the tight plastic inner sleeve. This one looks like a stamped steel base plate with a zamak top cap. Exposed blade tabs. Feels cheap but not overly flimsy. I'll give it a try one day soon. But definitely NOT the Dose of Envy blades. Lol.

View attachment 1206931

View attachment 1206932
"Dose of Envy"? There must be something lost in translation. The person shaving with that is going to envy people that have better razors.
:laugh:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I found this "Dose of Envy" razor at the Burlington Stores for $1.99. Figured I'd give it a shot. Why not. Definitely a Tech clone. Had a blade installed in the razor in the package, which is very dangerous. Didnt see it at first and nearly sliced my finger trying to jettison the razor from the tight plastic inner sleeve. This one looks like a stamped steel base plate with a zamak top cap. Exposed blade tabs. Feels cheap but not overly flimsy. I'll give it a try one day soon. But definitely NOT the Dose of Envy blades. Lol.

View attachment 1206931

View attachment 1206932

Looks like it could be a Baili 131? Hard to tell.

Bought some rarer Lord blades from a Swedish vendor and pocketed a Lord L122-C while I was there. Arrived today and will be used tomorrow - for now here are some snaps:

IMG_20210313_161959441.jpg

IMG_20210313_162142955.jpg

IMG_20210313_162202605.jpg

Gave the inexpensive Lord L122-C a whirl today and I can see why it has a loyal following. Not the closest shave but very comfortable, very mild and very easy to use. I'll be trying the open comb baseplate tomorrow.

NB I wish more razor makers would use the "tab at each corner" design.

I have no Idea but for the price wouldnt be surprised if it's not ss. If I use a magnet on it sticks hard. If I try my SS handle from another razor or a SS bowl it barely sticks so would say its pot metal.

I've got recently buyed two chinese Gillette Super Blue Blades from Aliexpress and diferently from what you told, both mine didn't stick any metal parts with the magnet... however I've got a Rapira Platinum Lux that the magnet sticks on the base plate and the metal thread at the top of the handle.

Could it be that mine Gillette SBB are fake? Or yours ?? hehehehe

1616359185069.png

The other one is still on package...
1616359215240.png

1616359235442.png

Thanks for the feedback Smooth and Sharp!

Here the logo is itallic too...
1616372184575.png

And a photo from the back...
1616372262710.png

I used it only once... waiting for the beard to grow a little for a second test. I used the blade that comes with it, but in the future I intend to use the Rapira Platinum Lux blades which has given me good results without irritation.

I've got recently buyed two chinese Gillette Super Blue Blades from Aliexpress and diferently from what you told, both mine didn't stick any metal parts with the magnet... however I've got a Rapira Platinum Lux that the magnet sticks on the base plate and the metal thread at the top of the handle.

Magnets will only stick to ferrous metals (iron & steel). The metal parts are probably made of zinc alloy. It doesn't mean they are fake, though.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1239891
The other one is still on package...
View attachment 1239892
View attachment 1239893
Looks kind of similar to the Gillette Rubie razor:
gillette_rubie_5_2048x2048_burned_8cc4ffce-2a05-4cea-8c64-656dd6ed85d7_2048x2048.jpg

I've got recently buyed two chinese Gillette Super Blue Blades from Aliexpress and diferently from what you told, both mine didn't stick any metal parts with the magnet...

Just to add...I also have a Gillette Super Blue from Aliexpress and mine is weakly magnetic. Maybe you need a stronger magnet or need to test for a weaker pull. For example, the handle doesn't show any attraction that I can detect just by holding it in my hand, but if I place it on a flat surface I can make it start to roll either direction by getting a magnet close. Try hanging the parts from a string and then see if the magnet will pull them to the side a little.

I used it only once... waiting for the beard to grow a little for a second test. I used the blade that comes with it, but in the future I intend to use the Rapira Platinum Lux blades which has given me good results without irritation.

How does the Gillette Blue shave for you? I had an eye on this one as well, just for fun and the looks of it.

I have just ordered a second Rapira razor, this time the metal handle one with the Swedish Super Steel blades.
I think none of the Tech Clones beat the Rapira in efficiency and closeness.

That being said, I also like the Lord L5 aka L122 very much.

How does the Gillette Blue shave for you? I had an eye on this one as well, just for fun and the looks of it.

I have just ordered a second Rapira razor, this time the metal handle one with the Swedish Super Steel blades.
I think none of the Tech Clones beat the Rapira in efficiency and closeness.

That being said, I also like the Lord L5 aka L122 very much.

It shaved very well, it has a "tech" geometry practically equal to that of Rapira PL.
Some differences noted:

Weight of metal parts - at Gillette they are lighter and appear to be somewhat imitating aluminum, while at Rapira PL the metal is attracted to a magnet and is heavier. The balance of Rapira PL ended up getting closer to the head while in Gillette it is more distributed.

Finish - Despite the price and Chinese origin, Gillette is well finished while Rapira PL has a more rustic final finish, I had already seen some reviews that the headcap came with small marks/ scuffs / burrs that ended up leaving the blade deformed when assembling. It was the case of mine too (red arrows on last photo), where I solved this problem by sanding some parts.

Considering the price, I recommend it.

I was also looking for the Rapira Swedish SuperSteel, but I only found it on ebay and at the moment (pandemic) the shipments between Russia and Brazil are suspended.

Some pictures of the two ... (Gillete at left, Rapira PL at right)

1617651836904.png

1617651902396.png

1617651929264.png

1617651955841.png

Thank you, excellent photos!
I suppose the Gillette Blue is a much "milder" razor than the RPL?

And yes, I have the same head cap issue with my plastic handled RPL.
Today, my Rapira Swedish Supersteel Razor / metal handle arrived. I got it from Amazon Germany for 8,50 Euros, but razorbladesclub.com has it as well, not sure if they deliver to Brazil.
However, it is quite "rustic" as well. The head is the same (edges a bit better), the metal handle does add to the appearance.
Not an example of refined craftmanship, but a stunning performer. Used the excellent RPL blades again, but will try the Swedish Supersteel next shave.

Top Bottom