What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

I was gifted a Rimei Tech clone a while ago. I find this clone much more aggressive than my original Tech's.
And it's not as smooth either.
But it does a good job 👍

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That‘s what single sticks of Arko are for. Plus, you get more Arko

When I buy the Arko 12 packs on amazon, they work out to $1.30 a stick. hard to swallow paying $2.99 a stick from IB. I'd rather throw in something thats a good value. Like a soap or razor thats on sale.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Your math checks out. I‘d be remiss if I didn’t mention that even relatively overpriced Arko is also like a soap.
I hear you man. Its all in good fun anyways. When I do business with IB and need to throw something in my cart to get up to the shipping minimum, I usually grab whatever Razorock soap tub is on sale. For example, I placed an order the other day, and Amici was on sale for $2.99 a tub. That is good stuff, but for $2.99 a tub i will buy a couple and give them away. My prior order they had Zi Peppino and Don Marco for $3.99 a tub. Those two soaps are near the top of my list. I love them. Especially the scent. So I really loaded up on that order. Mind you i have nothing against Arko, and use it religiously when I travel, which was a lot until the world shut down.

Back on topic... Yeah, I really like the RR Tek II. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of the RR Tek II razors. They were free with an order at one point. And they are sometimes around $5 on sale a IB, so they are good to toss in the cart to get up to the free shipping. They make excellent razors to PIF to new shavers. I find them ever so slightly more aggressive than a standard USA Tech. And the ends of the blade tabs are covered, which is a plus. Although I own dozens of real Techs, I find this clone to be quite good.
I have several DE1 (same head). Not crappy razors, just not as good as my genuine 1940s - 1950s Techs.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

I'm interested to buy Tech-like razors.
One of those is RazoRock DE1 = Baili BT171
The other is RazoRock Tech II = Baili BD191

Which is better?I think latter is good,but I wonder if the handle is too slippery.
Former looks like a little bit too short handle,isn't it?

Which should I buy?

I bought several "Damaged" Teck II's for around $8 each. Supposedly a shipment of Teck II's were damaged when some aftershave in the shipment to the retailer leaked. None of mine were aftershave scented or stained, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
I replaced the creepy Teck II handle with one more conventional - shaves smooth with all my favorite blades.

I'm interested to buy Tech-like razors.
One of those is RazoRock DE1 = Baili BT171
The other is RazoRock Tech II = Baili BD191

Which is better?I think latter is good,but I wonder if the handle is too slippery.
Former looks like a little bit too short handle,isn't it?

Which should I buy?
The DE-1 is close to average length, that would be 85mm - 90mm. Most Razorock handles used with the Gamechanger, for example, are in this range.

The Tech II is much longer than average, about 110mm. That might be like some of the cartridge razors out there. It's really a matter of taste, but I feel the Tech II is too long.

The heads seem to be pretty much the same. An easy solution is to put another handle on you like more. That is what I did. I had a spare Razorock Super Knurl handle I got from the Scratch and Dent section on the International Barber website. Most handles will interchange.

At sale prices, $3.99 for the razor + $5.99 for a handle on sale = $10 total for a nice razor.

The best handle is a matter of taste.

Atlantic59

Thanks!Ok I'll choice BT171.And,I prefer to choice Baili than RazoRock because shipping fee to Japan from china is cheaper than from Canada.I'm understand that these razors are same product.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Baili 171/173 (RazoRock DE1), Baili 172/191/192 (RazoRock Tek II), Maggard V3M are all pretty much the same head - different handles/colors. These heads kind of resemble the Gillette Tech but could not, in my opinion, be mistaken for a Gillette Tech. Doesn't mean that they are bad razors - quite the contrary.

The Baili 131 is the closest Baili (appearance and geometry) to the original Gillette Tech. The Global Shave Club "Techs" and the YingJili are the same razor.

This is my opinion, based on purchasing, closely examining and shaving with these razors. YMMV.

Last edited:
Yup....in my opinion, the genuine Gillette Techs (especially the Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle and 1950s Techs) defeated the clones. :)
I have two original Techs, both British.
One is a Fat Handle and the other is a Aluminum Ball End.
The Fat Handle is a tad more aggressive/efficient but the Ball End feels a little bit smoother.

My clones from Rimei, Lord and Yuma are not as good but they will get the job done.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have two original Techs, both British.
One is a Fat Handle and the other is a Aluminum Ball End.
The Fat Handle is a tad more aggressive/efficient but the Ball End feels a little bit smoother.

My clones from Rimei, Lord and Yuma are not as good but they will get the job done.

Very true. The clones will certainly get the job done, and some are quite good. :)

Aha I get to post the latest entry in this super-long thread I finally finished reading. For an hour or so, anyway. I was directed here after posting a comment about the Maggard’s V3M head (a bit more aggressive and not as smooth as a Tech)on another, much shorter thread.

While I am here...I could never get a very close shave with my ‘66 travel tech, but I used it as my travel razor since it was safe and I thought the head was brass and therefore durable for travel. Oops - I have learned via this site that the travel techs have Zamac heads. Anyway, I finally got a pre-war triangle slot fat-handle Tech and the shaves are very comfortable and are bbs except in my neck sometimes. The hollow fat handle is perfect for me. It is a real pleasure to use.

Thanks to all who share knowledge here!

Recently I received Baili BT171 that same as Razorock DE2,from AliExpress
This was priced only 770 JPY.And pretty Good!!
I cannot find the reason of why don't buy this.

Reactions: abj
Top Bottom