What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are my last two shaves, one Post-war and one Pre-war, with the "real thing":

Shave 20200103 (Post-war):

20200103_151652~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: TurnNShave 25mm Boss Synthetic, Chess handle
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Post-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

WTG, ATG with some XTG touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ with one weeper, no nicks, cuts, or irritation.

9++/10

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Canadian Post-war Fat Handle Tech + Wizamet Super Iridium + Pre de Provence No. 63 = a fantastic Damn Fine Shave. So comfortable and relaxed.

Love it!

Shave 20200104 (Pre-war):

20200104_151322~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: TurnNShave 25mm Boss Synthetic, Chess handle
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

WTG, ATG with some XTG touch-up and buffing.

BBS (wife approved) with one small weeper under my nose (my fault - depth perception was a bit off without my glasses ;)), zero nicks, cuts, or irritation.

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Canadian Pre-war Fat Handle Tech + Wizamet Super Iridium + Pre de Provence No. 63 = a BBS without trying. Comfortable, relaxed, smooth. The Pre-war Fat Handle Tech and the Post-war Fat Handle Tech are both absolute joys to use. This is no stress shaving!

Differences? To my face, the Pre-war seems to be a bit more efficient. The Pre-war also seems to provide a bit more audible feedback (not surprising since the Post-war clamps/supports the blade slightly better).

Love to shave with both of these razors and both deliver excellent shaves.

Without any qualifications, I could live with either of these razors as my only one and be very happy.

To date, none of the Clones I've shaved with have approached this level of satisfaction.

@ShavingJunkie - Thank you for the run down of the various Baili "Tech Clone" style heads. I plan more experementation with the 171/172/176 style head to see if I can wring more performance out of that style of Clone.

As always, these are my opinions and YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
About a month ago I picked up a Yaqi Tech. This is one of the best razors heads I've used. More aggressive than the original, very smooth. In my top 10 currently.

Are you referring to the Yaqi Tech head on AliExpress?

Are you referring to the Yaqi Tech head on AliExpress?

yes, and when I said more aggressive than the original, I was referring to the original Gillette Tech, not that there is some version 2 of the Yaqi Tech. I realized after I posted it looked a bit ambiguous.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
yes, and when I said more aggressive than the original, I was referring to the original Gillette Tech, not that there is some version 2 of the Yaqi Tech. I realized after I posted it looked a bit ambiguous.

Thank you. I took it as compared to the original Gillette Tech. :)

The Yaqi Tech head looks, from the limited views, really similar to the Baili 171/172 style head. Have you been able to compare the two side by side?

I was given two techs on loan to try. I used a post-war English tech today. Extremely mild. Found myself using pressure. Hoping the prewar Canadian tech will be more efficient.

Got these yesterday. Used another one several years ago but threw it out long ago. Bought two new ones from a store to see if with the experience and products I currently have can I get a good shave. I guess I won't be owning a real Tech any time soon, as the prices and shipping fees to get one (a fat handled one or ball end one; don't like the travel ones) from the US to Eastern Europe are borderline absurd. So might as well contribute to this thread.
IMG_20200428_115327.jpg

Instead of the usual posts that enter holes in the blade these hold the blade aligned with some short tabs on the corners.
What I don't like is the fact that on the inside of the cap there are some strengthening ribs vertically and horizontally and if these are too tall they can mess up the line of the edge of the blade and make it fold in places, instead of remaining straight(that's why I threw out the old one). Fortunately these have very shallow ribs so shouldn't be a problem. The cap and guard are just stamped metal and covered in a chrome plating. Not very aesthetic and quality feeling but at this price (a little over a dollar for each) can't really complain.
The handles are pretty heavy though, and with decent knurling. They seem to be plated in nickel.
The razor brand is called Junjie.
Shaving review to follow in a few days, so stay tuned. Of course I won't be using those Chinese blades they came with. I have a large selection of quality blades to choose from.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I was given two techs on loan to try. I used a post-war English tech today. Extremely mild. Found myself using pressure. Hoping the prewar Canadian tech will be more efficient.
Watch your angle. If you aren't shaving in the 'sweet spot', you'll try to compensate with pressure and that leads to irritation and frustration.

Ok... I finally had a chance to try out one of the two identical clones that I bought for dirt cheap. Before I get into the review I wanted to mention that I checked with a magnet and the handle and guard are steel, while the top cap is not. It is very light and most likely a type of zamak alloy.
Prep-warm water and soap to hydrate and soften the beard
Balea Men synthetic brush
Nivea Men shaving cream
Gillette Platinum New Edition fresh blade
Adidas pure game aftershave
IMG_20200504_130642130.jpg
IMG_20200504_130522274.jpg
IMG_20200504_130503994.jpg

From the last two images it should be clear that the blade was not aligned quite right. This is the best that I could get it, after fiddling with it for several minutes. It also has a significant amount of blade exposure, making it an agressive razor.
I used Nivea shaving cream as I knew it always gives a good lather easy. Started shaving following the tried and true golden rule : no pressure.
With a razor that has such a thin head and is pretty light you would be tempted to apply pressure but this would be a big mistake. The blade can bite immediately if you're not careful. Keep in mind that I had over 7 days of growth on my face. Finished the first pass without any issues, proceeded to the second pass ATG, also no issues. Just smooth sailing. Went for my usual routine of a third pass partly XTG on the neck only to smooth things out. The blade didn't give me any nicks or cuts, not even a single weeper. It also glided over an ingrown hair without problems. Also did some minor touchups on my chin and that was it.
As far as blade angle goes I rode the cap on the first pass and then mostly rode the guard on the subsequent ones.
At the end I was left with a nice shave with no cuts, weepers or irritation whatsoever.
The aftershave gave only a mild sting, so I'm very happy with the result.
Would I recommend this to a beginner and especially with a blade as sharp as Feather or Nacet, for example? Absolutely not. The blade alignment issue, the uneven blade exposure and agressiveness are just asking for trouble in a beginner.
Having 4 years of experience in traditional DE shaving, having multiple razors, a large variety of blades, a good cream and a brush that works helped me out. If I were to use this starting out it would leave a bitter taste.
As it stands, I'm somewhat baffled that I got such a good result (DFS+ I'd say).
If you want to try as an experiment and to test your technique it has my vote. However, reading this thread entirely I can see that there are some better clones out there. And if I could get such a shave from this I can only imagine what a real Tech shave must be like.
I'll keep hunting for a fat handled one and hoping I find one that is easier to get in Eastern Europe.

How is the Yaqi Tech clone compared to the original Tech? Did anyone tried it? Well, it looks like Baili 176 head...
That razor really only resembles a Tech in the way it holds the blade. The head geometry is quite different. It puts more curvature on the blade.

I can get a very good shave with the Razorock DE-1, which appears to be the same as a Baili; BBS reliably with some practice. I still don't consider it a true Tech Clone so prefer the pre-war fat handle Tech overall.

The Yaqi looks to have a zamak baseplate, so it's not the same as other Tech clones that actually use a stamped steel or stainless bottom plate. If it were up to me, I'd forgo the Yaqi in favor of the Ying Jili, the Chinese Gillette, or even the RazoRock Tek II

I actually like the Yaqi Tech better than the Gillette head (sacrilege!). At least for now. It's a very smooth but efficient razor head. Yes, it's Zamak and might not survive me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How is the Yaqi Tech clone compared to the original Tech? Did anyone tried it? Well, it looks like Baili 176 head...

The Yaqi clone appears to be the same as the RazoRock DE1:

DSC_1577_280x420.jpeg
DSC_1576_280x420.jpeg

Also the same as the RazoRock Tek II, Maggard V3M, Baili 171 & 172 razors and who knows how many others.

If you read through this thread, you will find comments and reviews on a lot of Tech clones.

I shaved with pretty much all of the clones discussed in this thread and very much prefer the real thing.

You can easily find user grade or better genuine 1940s - 1950s Gillette Techs for ~$20 that are made from brass, will last for lifetimes and shave wonderfully.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a couple of the RR Tek II razors. They were free with an order at one point. And they are sometimes around $5 on sale a IB, so they are good to toss in the cart to get up to the free shipping. They make excellent razors to PIF to new shavers. I find them ever so slightly more aggressive than a standard USA Tech. And the ends of the blade tabs are covered, which is a plus. Although I own dozens of real Techs, I find this clone to be quite good.

Top Bottom