What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Today I used a Gillette Tech from the 60s. Same prep, Astral SP (4), Williams Mug Soap. Had a great 2 pass with touch ups. Smooth comfortable DFS++. Very nice shave from the Tech. Sunday I will try the Lord L122 with the plastic base. I expect it to shave much like the Baili 131.

I hated the 171 and gave it a bad review. I think I have to give it another try with the stock handle to be fair to Baili. I realize these are sub $10 razors but they may have added the heavy handle for a reason. I will post my findings.

Good move!! You should be ‘fair’ to the clone with the stock set-up!! :a21::a21::a21::a21:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm seeing a lot of Star 100 DE razors out there so we should probably at least mention them.

The early Star 100 is, I believe, all plated brass. Certainly has some weight.

I shaved with a Star 100 back in September:

Shave 20190923

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Neutrogena plus Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Star Model 100
Blade: Kai (8 - final shave with this blade)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe
After Shave Balm: Proraso Blue
Cologne: Proraso Red

Just shaved with an early Star 100, a contemporary of the 1940s - 1950s Tech. Did a three pass shave. Not too shabby at all. 95+% of the way to BBS with very, very minimal (if any) irritation.

Very nice shave! :)

9+/10

Grabbed some miscellaneous pics from the 'Net for illustration:

s-l300.jpg
s-l400.jpg
1930-1940 Star Safety Razor W NOS Blade (6).jpg

As always, YMMV. :)

I cleaned up my Gillette Tech as best I could. The cap is showing corrosion.

Gillette US Fat Handle Tech + Gillette Wilkinson Sword India (1)
Nivea Sensitive face wash
Proraso Green Preshave Eucalyptus Oil
Face lather with RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Monster & Proraso Green Shaving cream Eucalyptus Oil
3 passes + touch ups to DFS
No issues or irritation.
Finished with Proraso Blue Protective & Moisturizing Liquid Cream Aftershave.
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9/10

The RazoRock DE1 did about the same. The first shave with this blade created some razor burn.

RazoRock DE1 + Rapira Platinum LUX (2)
Washed face with Nivea face wash
Proraso Green Preshave cream
Muhle 35K252 XL Silvertip Synthetic & Proraso Green shaving cream
3 passes plus touch ups to DFS+
No issues. No irritation.
Finished with Proraso Blue Protective Aftershave Liquid Cream
Pleasant shave.

The DE1 has a much larger blade gap than the Tech. The Tech is definitely easier to use.

I wanted to try the same blade type in the FAT Tech.

Gillette Fat Tech prewar + Rapira Platinum LUX (1)
Face lather with RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic + Proraso Green Shaving Cream Eucalyptus Oil
3 passes + touch ups to DFS+
No irritation or issues.
Finished with Proraso Blue Protective and Moisturizing Liquid Cream Aftershave
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

The Tech shave was smoother and had less irritation than the RazoRock DE1 using the same blade type. I would rather shave with the Tech instead of the DE1.

I’m tempted to do a blade seek on both and compare shaves with the optimum blade used in each.

I hated the 171 and gave it a bad review. I think I have to give it another try with the stock handle to be fair to Baili. I realize these are sub $10 razors but they may have added the heavy handle for a reason. I will post my findings.

I bought the 171 also a few months ago and I found it to have way too much blade exposure and too aggressive for my liking. Also did not care for the balance overall.

I bought the 171 also a few months ago and I found it to have way too much blade exposure and too aggressive for my liking. Also did not care for the balance overall.

Very surprised to see the 171 described as aggressive. Most (including me) tend to view this razor as being on the mild side. YMMV.

Very surprised to see the 171 described as aggressive. Most (including me) tend to view this razor as being on the mild side. YMMV.
Baili’s Catalog on Amazon lists Victory 176 and Victory 178 as mild, Victory 171 and Victory 173 as aggressive, Retro 191 and Retro 193G as mild. Their TTOs are listed as medium.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to try the same blade type in the FAT Tech.

Gillette Fat Tech prewar + Rapira Platinum LUX (1)
Face lather with RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic + Proraso Green Shaving Cream Eucalyptus Oil
3 passes + touch ups to DFS+
No irritation or issues.
Finished with Proraso Blue Protective and Moisturizing Liquid Cream Aftershave
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

The Tech shave was smoother and had less irritation than the RazoRock DE1 using the same blade type. I would rather shave with the Tech instead of the DE1.

I’m tempted to do a blade seek on both and compare shaves with the optimum blade used in each.

The Rapira Platinum Lux is a very good blade for the Tech, as is their Swedish Supersteel.

Additional favorite blades with my Techs are:

Kai (absolute #1 favorite with Techs)
Persona Med Prep and Israeli Platinum Red
The above mentioned Rapiras
Feather

For a change of pace:

Bolzano
Vokshod

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I can add Astra SS and Bic Chromes as recent blades used with success. The Astra Blues really worked well for me in the Tech.
Great Thread!

The Rapira Platinum Lux is a very good blade for the Tech, as is their Swedish Supersteel.

Additional favorite blades with my Techs are:

Kai (absolute #1 favorite with Techs)
Persona Med Prep and Israeli Platinum Red
The above mentioned Rapiras
Feather

For a change of pace:

Bolzano
Vokshod

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
You caught me researching this topic.

The US ball end Tech is noted as being a mild shaving tool. However, the measurements indicate it has a fairly narrow shaving angle range and a relatively large exposure therefore making it efficient when the right shaving angle is used.

My tech is a US Fat handle tech with triangular slots and no date code. I think the cap maybe Zamak due to the nature of the corrosion I am seeing. I suspect it may be a Frankenrazor. This one is probably more efficient/aggressive than the BET above.

I believe I am not using the ideal technique and thus generating irritation and a lesser shave than expected.

Thanks for the blade suggestions. I think less sharp blades may help with improving the technique. I have all on your list except the KAI and Bolzano. I may order those after Thanksgiving.

More mileage maybe gained by getting the angle down.

Thanks for the help and this very good thread.

I can add Astra SS and Bic Chromes as recent blades used with success. The Astra Blues really worked well for me in the Tech.
Great Thread!
I’ve got some Astra SS and some Bic Chromes. I have Gillette SS Green that are smooth and sharp.

Thanks for the tips.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You caught me researching this topic.

(1)The US ball end Tech is noted as being a mild shaving tool. However, the measurements indicate it has a fairly narrow shaving angle range and a relatively large exposure therefore making it efficient when the right shaving angle is used.

(2)My tech is a US Fat handle tech with triangular slots and no date code. I think the cap maybe Zamak due to the nature of the corrosion I am seeing. I suspect it may be a Frankenrazor
. This one is probably more efficient/aggressive than the BET above.

(3)I believe I am not using the ideal technique and thus generating irritation and a lesser shave than expected.

Thanks for the blade suggestions. I think less sharp blades may help with improving the technique. I have all on your list except the KAI and Bolzano. I may order those after Thanksgiving.

(4)More mileage maybe gained by getting the angle down.

Thanks for the help and this very good thread.

Emphasis and numerals above added by me.

My comments:

(1) That is my understanding. When you get the angle down (I call it "Tech Technique" ;)), you are rewarded with a shave that is both mild and efficient.

(2) A Pre-war (triangle slots) shouldn't have a zamak anything. If the cap is zamak, the original was replaced at some point.

(3) I learned my "Tech Technique" by starting all the way on the cap, handle 90° from the face. Slowly pivot the razor until the blade just makes contact and proceed to shave. You will be mostly on the cap, barely on the bar. You will be able to feel the difference. Also, I like to rinse my Tech often.

(4) Proper "Tech Technique" coupled with a nice sharp Kai, Personna, Feather, etc. will reward you with a lifetime of great shaves with your Tech(s).

Beware, though - Tech razors multiply like the Tribbles in Star Trek. ;)

Emphasis and numerals above added by me.

My comments:

(1) That is my understanding. When you get the angle down (I call it "Tech Technique" ;)), you are rewarded with a shave that is both mild and efficient.

(2) A Pre-war (triangle slots) shouldn't have a zamak anything. If the cap is zamak, the original was replaced at some point.

(3) I learned my "Tech Technique" by starting all the way on the cap, handle 90° from the face. Slowly pivot the razor until the blade just makes contact and proceed to shave. You will be mostly on the cap, barely on the bar. You will be able to feel the difference. Also, I like to rinse my Tech often.

(4) Proper "Tech Technique" coupled with a nice sharp Kai, Personna, Feather, etc. will reward you with a lifetime of great shaves with your Tech(s).

Beware, though - Tech razors multiply like the Tribbles in Star Trek. ;)
Thanks for the confirmation that my first Tech is a FrankenRazor.☹️

Regarding the last point, how did you know I was window shopping for a real Tech?😉

We also know Scotty did not like the Tribbles. And the Tribbles did not like Klingons. Scotty’s solution was perfect.🤗

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the confirmation that my first Tech is a FrankenRazor.☹

Regarding the last point, how did you know I was window shopping for a real Tech?😉

We also know Scotty did not like the Tribbles. And the Tribbles did not like Klingons. Scotty’s solution was perfect.🤗

Please post some pics of the cap so we can see the crud that you referenced.

I may have a spare cap around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Baili’s Catalog on Amazon lists Victory 176 and Victory 178 as mild, Victory 171 and Victory 173 as aggressive, Retro 191 and Retro 193G as mild. Their TTOs are listed as medium.

Solid info - I’ll have to look this up. Those Baili model numbers are confusing! I have the 176 and I find it very mild. I thought it might have been the equivalent to the 171, but maybe that’s not the case. A friend has the old 131 and he’s told me that he finds it reasonably aggressive, so a picture is emerging that accords with the above.

Top Bottom