What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

I have read about all these interesting new Tech Clones in this thread and I'm curious, how do you guys rate Lord L.122 (with the Tech head) compared to Baili, Maggard, RR, Sumatra and other modern Tech clones?

I have read about all these interesting new Tech Clones in this thread and I'm curious, how do you guys rate Lord L.122 (with the Tech head) compared to Baili, Maggard, RR, Sumatra and other modern Tech clones?

I have not tried a Lord razor. I will have to surf the web and see if I can find one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Another Clone to hunt down. :)

Well Today my post war tech arrived. I used it.

Razor: Gold Gillette Post War Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Omega 10049 Pro Boar
Pre: Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Beard Balm: Proraso Cypress and Vetyver

Rating: 8.5/10 - Almost DFS, but a great smooth shave with no irritation. I was riding the top cap more and was able to get a really nice fun shave out of the Tech. It seems to be a bit better than some of the clones, but I now have a razor to do a direct head-to-head comparison. I will start that in a few days once I get through another new razor a few soaps I want to get through. Overall very please with the addition to my razor line up.

Karatsu_TFAshaverPostwarTech-1.JPG

Hope you all are getting some great shaves and that your No-Shave-November is going well.

I ordered a Sumatra. Found a new one on Ebay for 12 bucks including shipping. Anxious to give it a try and compare it to my vintage techs

I ordered a Sumatra. Found a new one on Ebay for 12 bucks including shipping. Anxious to give it a try and compare it to my vintage techs
It is quite a nice clone i think. The plating is just a bit nicer and gives it a more premium feel than some of the others. Let us know what you think once it arrives!

I found the Baili 131 to be an enjoyable razor. Just as smooth as my pre and post war Techs and just a touch closer shave. For $5 its hard to beat. Obviously the original Techs are built better IMHO. Next up will be the new style Baili that covers the blade tabs but first I have to try the Ranger Tech I just recieved.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I found the Baili 131 to be an enjoyable razor. Just as smooth as my pre and post war Techs and just a touch closer shave. For $5 its hard to beat. Obviously the original Techs are built better IMHO. Next up will be the new style Baili that covers the blade tabs but first I have to try the Ranger Tech I just recieved.
Great feedback. Thank you for posting your findings. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here is today's shave. :)

Shave 20191114

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena Liquid Soap
Pre-shave: Cremo
Soap/Cream: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Brush: Mühle 35K256 25mm Silvertip Fiber
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette 1947 Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), Timeless TRH6 Ti handle
Blade: Kai (5 - Retired after this shave)
Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus an angled XTG/ATG pass, buffing and touch--up.

Outstanding shave!!!

Solid wife approved BBS with two very small seepers (smaller than a weeper ;)) and no irritation.

The Timeless TRH6 Ti handle balances beautifully with the Hybrid Tech head. Using correct 'Tech Technique' rewarded me with an effortless, comfortable shave. :)

9++/10

I have a Lord L122 inbound. Looking forward to trying it. Really enjoying my Tech and Tech clone adventure and this thread. Nothing expensive here and that works for me. I remain shocked at how well the Baili 131 worked for me.

I have a Lord L122 inbound. Looking forward to trying it...
I had one some years ago. It was a razor I took camping and hiking. It shaved well, almost like my pre-war Tech, a little more aggressive, IIRC.

Things I did not like,let's see. The construction was very lightweight (though an advantage for hiking). The handle was a spindly stick of aluminum with pathetic knurling. The head had a gigantic "LORD" logo stamped in it that spanned the entire width (Note to Lord Company: I would rather not shave with a billboard, thanks :glare:).

With a decent handle, it was a good shaver. Try not to drop it on any hard surfaces, though.

I had one some years ago. It was a razor I took camping and hiking. It shaved well, almost like my pre-war Tech, a little more aggressive, IIRC.

Things I did not like,let's see. The construction was very lightweight (though an advantage for hiking). The handle was a spindly stick of aluminum with pathetic knurling. The head had a gigantic "LORD" logo stamped in it that spanned the entire width (Note to Lord Company: I would rather not shave with a billboard, thanks :glare:).

With a decent handle, it was a good shaver. Try not to drop it on any hard surfaces, though.
If you don't like the giant LORD stamped on the top plate, maybe this is better?
s-l1600.jpg
Looks like Lord is making a Shark razor with a plain top plate ;)

Today I used the new style Baili that covers the blade tabs. Fresh Astra SP. Williams Mug Soap after a hot shower. This razor felt smooth with multiple angles but after the first wtg pass, there was a lot of stuble left. Did 2 more passes xtg and atg and some buffing. The final result was dfs but had some irritation and a few weepers that required some steptic(ouch). Had to use some Nivea balm to relieve my face. Blade alignment was perfect and it is a nice looking razor but I liked the 131 much more. Not sure if I will try this one again. Next up will be the Lord L122 when it arrives. So for me thus far, my preference is the Baili 131 followed closely by the pre war Tech then the post war Tech. I still have a 60s Tech and a Silver Star from the 50s to compare.

Top Bottom