What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

"Ordered"? :confused1 I assume you meant bought off Ebay for a small fortune(?).

Etsy, actually (I also found an excellent condition post war Tech in gold with a gold contract handle for $20 there). There is a flat bottom Tech (listed as buy it now) on eBay as well that I'm watching out of curiosity. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I'm watching it since I have that razor now.

Do any of the Tech clones have a significantly longer handle that would actually got an original Tech? My hands are so large, I don't like using the handle that came with it...
Will the typical aftermarket handles work with the original Tech, or are threads different?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Do any of the Tech clones have a significantly longer handle that would actually got an original Tech? My hands are so large, I don't like using the handle that came with it...
Will the typical aftermarket handles work with the original Tech, or are threads different?
I use the Maggard MR11 or MR16.

If you don't mind a blue handle, they are $9.99 right now. Other colors are $20.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191106

Prep: Splashed water on my face
Pre-shave: Proraso Red
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Mr. Fine Stout, 26mm 'Angel Hair' Synthetic
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Global Shave Club 'Replitech'
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus buffing and touch--up.

DFS with no nicks, cuts or weepers. Minor irritation.

8.75/10

I used the stock Replitech ball-end handle for this shave and will use the stock Gillette ball-end handle for the #24 Tech shave.

The Replitech works much better with the Voskhod than it did with the Kai. The shave was smooth and comfortable, just not super efficient. I ended up doing more than three passes plus buffing and touch-up to get to DFS.

This razor gives a lot of feedback - audible and feel. It is nimble and works tight areas of my face without any damage.

Is it as good as my Techs? No, but I'll wait until I shave with the English #24 tomorrow to comment further. :)

YMMV

So for today's installment:

Razor: Ben Sherman and a Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Ben Sherman Stainless
Brush: Omega 10049 boar
Pre: Proraso Green
Soap: William Mug Shaving Soap

Rating: 1 and 9.5/10 - I tried that Ben Sherman Razor with is the four slot tech type clone that had been used by @never-stop-learning a few posts ago. I had the WORST shave of my life so far. It took forever to get the blade slightly aligned enough to be confident to even try the razor. I then had one side that shaved poorly (it tugged and seemed like it wasn't cutting well), and another side where some of the blade edge would cut and some wouldn't. I tried to keep going, but after a WTG pass I gave up before shaving my lip area and chin area. I decided the blade might not be the problem, so I put the Ben Sherman Stainless blade made in China into my Gillette Fat Handle Tech from @KeenDogg and had a great shave.

I started over and did a three pass WTG, XTG and ATG with a clean up and got a near BBS shave.

So that four slot razor is something to avoid at all costs and is now in the shame pile with my facon razor head. The handle on the Ben Sherman is also threaded differently so it doesn't fit any of my other heads! At least the Facon handle was nice and fit my Maggard Slant.

Karatsu_TFAshaverBenShermanFail-1.JPG

While I prefer my Vintage razors, I've lately gotten several "Cheap" clones that are impressive. The YingJili, on E-Bay is only a couple of bucks, but shaves on par with my Best Pre-War Techs.
And this little beauty was more spendy, but I did the upgrade to the Parker Platinum blades. It may be a stretch to call it a Tech Clone because of the enclosed ends, but it shaves exactly like my Pre-War & the YingJili. I've used it with the Parker, Astra SP and Shark Chrome blades, and got perfect shaves from all. It ties for Best-Shaves-of-the-Week with My Pre-War. It's worth putting a heavier handle on, but the factory handle is plenty big - you could wear gloves and still get a good grip on it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
While I prefer my Vintage razors, I've lately gotten several "Cheap" clones that are impressive. The YingJili, on E-Bay is only a couple of bucks, but shaves on par with my Best Pre-War Techs.
I did not find the YingJili to be on a par with my rotation of top tier (Hybrid, #34, Canadian Triangle, Flat Bottom, #24) Techs. Not as smooth nor as efficient. Definitely a YMMV area.

And this little beauty was more spendy, but I did the upgrade to the Parker Platinum blades. It may be a stretch to call it a Tech Clone because of the enclosed ends, but it shaves exactly like my Pre-War & the YingJili. I've used it with the Parker, Astra SP and Shark Chrome blades, and got perfect shaves from all. It ties for Best-Shaves-of-the-Week with My Pre-War. It's worth putting a heavier handle on, but the factory handle is plenty big - you could wear gloves and still get a good grip on it.

This is the Baili BR171 and BR172, Maggard V3M, RR Teck II and RR DE1. All of these razors use the same head.

Definitely decent shavers.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191106

Prep: Splashed water on my face
Razor: Global Shave Club 'Replitech'
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

DFS with no nicks, cuts or weepers. Minor irritation.

8.75/10

I used the stock Replitech ball-end handle for this shave and will use the stock Gillette ball-end handle for the #24 Tech shave.

The Replitech works much better with the Voskhod than it did with the Kai. The shave was smooth and comfortable, just not super efficient. I ended up doing more than three passes plus buffing and touch-up to get to DFS.

This razor gives a lot of feedback - audible and feel. It is nimble and works tight areas of my face without any damage.

Is it as good as my Techs? No, but I'll wait until I shave with the English #24 tomorrow to comment further. :)

YMMV

Shave 20191107

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena
Razor: Gillette 1956 English #24 Ball Handle Tech
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum Lime

Absolutely outstanding shave!

DFS+/BBS with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10

Very noticeable improvement between the Gillette 1956 English #24 Ball Handle Tech and the Replitech. The Gillette feels like a more substantial razor. Extremely nimble and maneuverable. Feels good while shaving.

In my opinion, very preferable to the Replitech (and, by default, the Baili BR131 based razors).

I really like this razor. :)

YMMV

Thanks for the feedback... how does the pre-war tech compare with later ones? I have a 1958 Tech.

After a week with the pre war Gillette Tech, I decided to try the Baili 131. I used a Razor Emporium replica handle, Astra SP (2), Williams Mug Soap, VDH Badger brush. Looking at how flat the cap is on the 131 I wasn't sure how comfortable it would be. I found the 131 a breeze to use and comfortable. I did 2 full passes with some touch ups. Finished with a very good DFS. No nics or weepers. The Old Spice did not give any sting. It seemed to shave as well as my Tech but the shave did not last as long. Again, first shave so I think I can improve as I use it more. My first impression is that it could easily be a daily driver. Since it can be had for less than $5, I am impressed.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After a week with the pre war Gillette Tech, I decided to try the Baili 131. I used a Razor Emporium replica handle, Astra SP (2), Williams Mug Soap, VDH Badger brush. Looking at how flat the cap is on the 131 I wasn't sure how comfortable it would be. I found the 131 a breeze to use and comfortable. I did 2 full passes with some touch ups. Finished with a very good DFS. No nics or weepers. The Old Spice did not give any sting. It seemed to shave as well as my Tech but the shave did not last as long. Again, first shave so I think I can improve as I use it more. My first impression is that it could easily be a daily driver. Since it can be had for less than $5, I am impressed.

Excellent feedback!

I found that the Voskhod also works. We can add the Astra SP to the list of blades that work well in the Baili BR131. :)

Top Bottom