What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the explanation
The one on the right looks like BD176 on Amazon but looks like the one on the left is also still available as BT171 with the case

The razor on the right looks very much like the RR DE-1:

This no name razor:

Looks very much like this Baili branded razor:

The head on both sure looks a lot like the RepliTech, just with a different handle:

Interesting discussion. :)

Pulled out my “old style” Baili 171 hoping that now, after I learned to shave with more aggressive razors, it would provide a different shaving experience.

Well... no irritation or weepers this time, but it still felt “scratchy”. Just altogether not the greatest shaving experience, although it can definitely get the job done. Midway into the second (XTG) pass I decided that it was silly wasting a relaxed Saturday morning shave on a razor that I don’t like, and switched to Maggard’s V3A. What a pleasant difference. Feels more aggressive but also way smoother.

So, this is one Baili to avoid... the other two that I own, BD179 TTO and the ”updated” 171/176 are great razors but very mild.

Well, today I tried out the Sumatra, and it was a nice shave. Got a DFS so it earned a rating of 9/10. It is a better build quality with the plating on the head and the handle feels better and has better coating as well than the Black Tiger. I do believe they are the same razor head, just plated differently. Can't wait for tomorrow because I will try the Sumatra with the MR11 handle rather than the provided handle. The handle that comes with the Sumatra is a little light for my tastes and caused the head to skip/chatter once during the shave. Well worth the extra few dollars to get the Sumatra over the Black Tiger at Global Shave Club IMHO. Can't beat it right now for $9.99 Sumatra

Well, today I tried the Global Shave Club Sumatra head on the Maggard Razors MR11 handle. The handle just like with the Black Tiger made the Sumatra a little better to me. I really liked the extra weight and it made the razor handle more like what I would want out of a quality product. The Sumatra Head works great with the supplied handle or another handle. It gave me a wonderful 9/10 DFS today!

The head is the same as the Black Tiger, just the Sumatra is much prettier in my opinion and platted way better.

The handle from the Sumatra is also better made than the Black Tiger. If you can spend $2 more get the Sumatra, you won't be disappointed. IMO.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well, today I tried the Global Shave Club Sumatra head on the Maggard Razors MR11 handle. The handle just like with the Black Tiger made the Sumatra a little better to me. I really liked the extra weight and it made the razor handle more like what I would want out of a quality product. The Sumatra Head works great with the supplied handle or another handle. It gave me a wonderful 9/10 DFS today!

The head is the same as the Black Tiger, just the Sumatra is much prettier in my opinion and platted way better.

The handle from the Sumatra is also better made than the Black Tiger. If you can spend $2 more get the Sumatra, you won't be disappointed. IMO.

Good to know since they seem to be out of the Black Tiger on eBay and the Global Shaving website.

A couple weeks ago, I received the old style Baili, the BT 131 per the package. Today I ordered the new style. Looking forward to trying them in November.

Ok, so today I used my wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style Razor and it did quite well. I believe this is just a RazoRock Teck II and it is a little more efficient/aggressive than the Global Shave Club Black Tiger and Sumatra. I do like the feed back from the Global Shave clones a lot more. I find that the sound and feel of the wetshavingclub razor to be extremely muted and I find it hard to shave with/I am more cautious since I don't have the feed back I like. The razor did give a great shave though with no irritation and I did it will far less buffing, so there is the advantage. I will try is with the MR11 handle tomorrow.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so today I used my wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style Razor and it did quite well. I believe this is just a RazoRock Teck II and it is a little more efficient/aggressive than the Global Shave Club Black Tiger and Sumatra. I do like the feed back from the Global Shave clones a lot more. I find that the sound and feel of the wetshavingclub razor to be extremely muted and I find it hard to shave with/I am more cautious since I don't have the feed back I like. The razor did give a great shave though with no irritation and I did it will far less buffing, so there is the advantage. I will try is with the MR11 handle tomorrow.

Great comparative comments. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After very close examination, I believe that this 'no name' razor:

and this Baili razor:

are as identical as I can determine.

It is enlightening how many different razors are using the same head. This journey has been most informative.

Top Bottom