What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Was the blade exposure even on both sides?
Yes, I made sure that it was even (to the eye, at least) on both sides.

Funny that you should mention blade alignment. I did not get the sense that the YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor head controlled the blade like a 1930s - 1950s Gillette Tech or even like the Black Tiger Tech clone. The angle also felt different, like I had to ride the cap more. Just had to work a lot more to get the difficult areas around my chin and my neck kind of smooth, which kicked up the irritation.

Also, the YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor cap would not fit my mid-1950s Gillette English #24 Tech. Not sure if the parts may be compatible with 1960s or 1970s Techs?

But hey, it's a $2 razor. ;)

Funny that you should mention blade alignment. I did not get the sense that the YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor head controlled the blade like a 1930s - 1950s Gillette Tech or even like the Black Tiger Tech clone. The angle also felt different, like I had to ride the cap more. Just had to work a lot more to get the difficult areas around my chin and my neck kind of smooth, which kicked up the irritation.

Also, the YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor cap would not fit my mid-1950s Gillette English #24 Tech. Not sure if the parts may be compatible with 1960s or 1970s Techs?

I haven't heard anything good about that particular razor, TBH.

YingJili makes the modern Gillette branded Tech. It has not only a thinner top cap, but base plate as well. This changed the "sweet spot" just a tad and to be frank if not for the feeble head weight this would be the best shaving Tech IMO. It certainly is the most maneuverable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
YingJili makes the modern Gillette branded Tech. It has not only a thinner top cap, but base plate as well. This changed the "sweet spot" just a tad and to be frank if not for the feeble head weight this would be the best shaving Tech IMO. It certainly is the most maneuverable.

I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, I did not get the impression that this razor could be considered the best shaving Tech. Definitely a YMMV situation.

The Ying Jili heads looks to me identical the first "non upgrade" Baili head. Cap on the Baili also a no go on Gillettes .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Aren't they the same razor, just different handles?

Impulse control was never one of my long suits. ;)

Upon further review, you certainly appear to be correct.

But wait, there's more.....

In addition to the RR DE1 and Teck II using the same head, it appears that the Maggard V3M uses the same head, as does another one of the Tech Clones I ordered:

CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor 20 Blades 20 Discount CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://ebay.us/3ixBZ0

I'll be shaving with the Maggard V3M tomorrow so that should cover these four Clones. :letterk1::ohmy:

Oh well.....won't be the first time (nor probably the last) I got ahead of myself.

Impulse control was never one of my long suits. ;)

Upon further review, you certainly appear to be correct.

But wait, there's more.....

In addition to the RR DE1 and Teck II using the same head, it appears that the Maggard V3M uses the same head, as does another one of the Tech Clones I ordered:

CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor 20 Blades 20 Discount CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://ebay.us/3ixBZ0

I'll be shaving with the Maggard V3M tomorrow so that should cover these four Clones. :letterk1::ohmy:

Oh well.....won't be the first time (nor probably the last) I got ahead of myself.
Haha. At least you will have plenty of extras!
Enjoying this post, thank you!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The 'Tech Clone Wars' continue with the Maggard V3M.

Shave 20191014

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Maggard V3M (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Cologne: Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus buffing and touch--up.

CCS. One weeper. Mild irritation.

Kind of shaves like a tech. Not as smooth or as efficient as the early Techs.

In the 'Tech Realm', the Canadian (and USA) pre-war triangle Techs, English Flat Bottom Techs, mid-1950s heavy Ball End (#24) Techs or post-war Fat Handle Techs are a definite step up.

The Hybrid Tech and German #34 Tech are a very large step up.

All-in-all, the Maggard V3M is not a bad razor and is much better than the YingJili (upon further review, I'd score the YingJili lower than I did - probably in the 5-6/10 range).

By default, since they all use the same head as the Maggard V3M, these comments should hold true for the RazoRock Teck II, RazoRock DE1 and the generic (looks like the RR DE1) CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor 20 Blades 20 Discount CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://ebay.us/3ixBZ0

7/10

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Up next:

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Last edited:
I received my first modern tech clone today. Finish is good. Blade alignment was fine. The first thing I noticed when I put the blade in was how flat the blade is when clamped down. Looking at the flat blade and the gap I am guessing this will be a mid aggressive razor. Has a nice weight to it. I like the handle. I plan to try it in November.
1015191726.jpg

The 'Tech Clone Wars' continue with the Maggard V3M.

Shave 20191014

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Maggard V3M (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Cologne: Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus buffing and touch--up.

CCS. One weeper. Mild irritation.

Kind of shaves like a tech. Not as smooth or as efficient as the early Techs.

In the 'Tech Realm', the Canadian (and USA) pre-war triangle Techs, English Flat Bottom Techs, mid-1950s heavy Ball End (#24) Techs or post-war Fat Handle Techs are a definite step up.

The Hybrid Tech and German #34 Tech are a very large step up.

All-in-all, the Maggard V3M is not a bad razor and is much better than the YingJili (upon further review, I'd score the YingJili lower than I did - probably in the 5-6/10 range).

By default, since they all use the same head as the Maggard V3M, these comments should hold true for the RazoRock Teck II, RazoRock DE1 and the generic (looks like the RR DE1) CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor 20 Blades 20 Discount CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://ebay.us/3ixBZ0

7/10

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Up next:

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Mileage sure does vary. I'd take the Chinese razor (BD176) over any of my Techs.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mileage sure does vary. I'd take the Chinese razor over any of my Techs.

There are so many variables. All any of us can state is that a particular razor did, or did not, work for that particular person.

Personally, I did not care for the YingJili but respect your more positive experience.

As you said, mileage sure does vary.

There are so many variables. All any of us can state is that a particular razor did, or did not, work for that particular person.

Personally, I did not care for the YingJili but respect your more positive experience.

As you said, mileage sure does vary.
Was referring to the DE1/BD176 . Sure.

I received my black tiger today. The blade sits very flat on the tray with very little curvature from the cap, if any. This is completely different than my Prewar tech. It has a lot of blade exposure as well. Going to try it tomorrow but it looks pretty aggressive just looking at it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I received my black tiger today. The blade sits very flat on the tray with very little curvature from the cap, if any. This is completely different than my Prewar tech. It has a lot of blade exposure as well. Going to try it tomorrow but it looks pretty aggressive just looking at it.

It is more aggressive than the pre-war Techs.

Watch your angle and try not to add pressure - you will be rewarded with a nice close shave.

I got a closer shave with less irritation than with the YingJili and Maggard M3V.

Top Bottom