What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

I am doing OCtober so this month is dedicated to OCs. I have decided November will be all Techs. I have the typical oval no date, triangle slot, 60s, contract tech, WW2 backalite handle tech and the Silver Star. With the recently ordered Baili, I hope I can contribute something to the thread. This will be something new for me as I have not had many shaves with Techs, just collected them.

Is this the right one
AKA BD176. Model numbers are pretty difficult to parse as they vary with finish, handle and case. "Upgrade head" (covered tabs) is the only thing that matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am doing OCtober so this month is dedicated to OCs. I have decided November will be all Techs. I have the typical oval no date, triangle slot, 60s, contract tech, WW2 backalite handle tech and the Silver Star. With the recently ordered Baili, I hope I can contribute something to the thread. This will be something new for me as I have not had many shaves with Techs, just collected them.
Given how long it will take to receive all of the Clones, November is probably pretty close. ;)

I got one of the Tiger razors. The casting and finish is a little rough, reminds me of the cheap razors I saw from Pakistan years ago. I ordered a few more so I'll see how they turn out.

I also ordered a few Tech-clone cap-and-baseplates from Maggard. They look excellent. I'm also going to try that washer trick.

I've been shaving with a 1950's postwar Tech and getting into a groove with it. It's almost as easy to use now as a Bic disposable. Which is amazing because I had little luck in the past trying to learn to shave with razors like the Merkur 34C.

So far, what I've seen is all pretty spendy for "cheap" razors. For truly cheap, this can't be beat:

They've jacked up the price from $1.84, but it's still a bargain.
The bottom plate is stainless steel & parts interchange with actual Techs. The shave is smooth and close, indistinguishable from an actual Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So far, what I've seen is all pretty spendy for "cheap" razors. For truly cheap, this can't be beat:

The bottom plate is stainless steel & parts interchange with actual Techs. The shave is smooth and close, indistinguishable from an actual Tech.

I believe that one of those is included in the group. ;)

It looks to me exactly like the modern Gillette branded Super Blue/Sterling/Rubie DE razor which is totally made of some type of "pot" metal. I have one and while they give a DFS they are extremely lightweight and I assure you no stainless steel parts.

This razor which costs about 2 Euros with shipping will be much more expensive if I as a Swede buy it.
First there is a tax of 7.50 Euros and if I am unlucky then the customs also want a few more Euros.
All of a sudden, the cheap razor for 2 Euros has cost me about 10 Euros instead.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Parameters used for the comparisons:

I want to see how the head shaves and so will use the same handle (Maggard MR11) on each razor under test.

Pre-shave, soap, brush, blade and post-shave (up to the Aftershave and Cologne) will be the same:

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe

First of the 'Tech Clones' reviews:

BLACK TIGER STEEL 3-Piece Double Edge Classic Safety Shaving Razor

Shave 20191012

Razor: Black Tiger (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Aftershave: Stetson w/Aloe
Cologne: Stetson

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus minor buffing and touch-up.

DFS+. No nicks, cuts, weepers. Minor irritation.

9/10

This head shaves very much like one of the better Techs. Smooth. With the proper 'Tech Technique' it is efficient.

I really don't have anything bad to say about this razor. I shaved with it using the stock handle previously and it worked fine.

Will it dethrone the top tier Techs (Hybrid, #34, Canadian Tri, #24)? No, but in my opinion, this is one of the better new razor buys out there for $11 (including shipping).

Just my opinion and, as always, YMMV.

Up next:

Classic Double Edge Manual Razor Safety Razor

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I want to see how the head shaves and so will use the same handle (Maggard MR11) on each razor under test.

Pre-shave, soap, brush, blade and post-shave (up to the Aftershave and Cologne) will be the same:

The second Tech Clone review:

Shave 20191013

Razor: YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus buffing and touch--up. Still could not get close enough on my neck and chin.

Kind of a CCS. One nick, one weeper. Moderate irritation.

Not horrible, just kind of 'meh'.

Not bad, though, for a couple of bucks.

7.5/10 (Edit: Upon further review, I should have rated this razor in the 5-6/10 range. The shave was not long lasting at all.)

Up next:

Maggard V3M

Last edited:

The second Tech Clone review:

Shave 20191013

Razor: YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Aftershave: Pitralone

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus buffing and touch--up. Still could not get close enough on my neck and chin.

Kind of a CCS. One nick, one weeper. Moderate irritation.

Not horrible, just kind of 'meh'.

Not bad, though, for a couple of bucks.

7.5/10

Up next:

Maggard V3M

Was the blade exposure even on both sides?

Top Bottom